LegacyGT.com

Up-pipe Upgrade Issues

Looking to install a new Invidia Up-pipe soon, has anyone had any issues or concerns with the change to a cat-less up-pipe? I will use a new EGT so are there any tuning / CEL issues to be concerned with? If so, how were they solved?

As always, any comments or advice is truly appreciated.

Happy New Year to all.

No need for the EGT sensor so don't buy it if you don't have it already. Return it if you did buy it.

Head over to Radioshack or your local electronics supply place and get a 2.2kohm resistor (pack of 5 is like $2) and a roll of electrical tape. Trim the legs appropriately and shove into the harness-side of the connector and tape up so no water can get in. Done. No sensor.

Make sure you have new gaskets for everything and you should be good to go. No tune needed.

It can be unscrewed and put in the new pipe. You'll likely have a check engine light though as it'll be reading temperatures outside of the expected range because there is no cat. The 2.2kohm resistor fakes a temperature in the correct range so the ECU is happy.

It can be unscrewed and put in the new pipe. You'll likely have a check engine light though as it'll be reading temperatures outside of the expected range because there is no cat. The 2.2kohm resistor fakes a temperature in the correct range so the ECU is happy.

alright thanks, i grabbed a 5 pack for $1.49 at radioshack

Don't waste your time with the EGT sensor, without a cat it can burn up and break off into the turbo. It will also is not accurate enough to begin with and in a bad location, thus it's just a waste of time.

Resistor works for the most part, I still randomly got annoying CEL's and cruise disables. It annoyed me enough to reflash it with a fix.

Everything you need to know about the Invidia Up-Pipe install can be found here.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I have purchased a cat-less OEM Up Pipe, and have a question. When everyone talks about a "TUNE" to disable the CEL or otherwise accommodate the cat-less up pipe, (on a car that came with catted and EGT) where does such a TUNE come from? I have also recently purchased a COBB AP3-SUB-002 for the car and plan on going Stage 1 once the cat-less up pipe is in. MY question is where is this TUNE to disable or FIX the CEL for this mod, can this be done with the Access Point? Will a K&N Panel filter affect the Stage 1 tune?

We are limited in Montana as far as open source goes, I know of no one in our state. If it requires a custom tune what do those cost and do you have any recommendations? I may eventually go stage 2.

Thanks everyone!

The tune comes from that Cobb AP you just bought.

The OTS (Off-The-Shelf) tune will work for you for awhile, but, due to variances in parts, mods, age, etc -- it's always best to get a custom tune. Think of the OTS as a foundation -- a good foundation-- but, getting custom tuned (Either through e-tuning with a vendor here, perhaps) or taking a road trip to Portland or Tacoma to get dyno tuned will always be superior.

I have purchased a cat-less OEM Up Pipe, and have a question. When everyone talks about a "TUNE" to disable the CEL or otherwise accommodate the cat-less up pipe, (on a car that came with catted and EGT) where does such a TUNE come from? I have also recently purchased a COBB AP3-SUB-002 for the car and plan on going Stage 1 once the cat-less up pipe is in. MY question is where is this TUNE to disable or FIX the CEL for this mod, can this be done with the Access Point? Will a K&N Panel filter affect the Stage 1 tune?

We are limited in Montana as far as open source goes, I know of no one in our state. If it requires a custom tune what do those cost and do you have any recommendations? I may eventually go stage 2.

Thanks everyone!

You download your current tune and back it up, and then you modify it and reflash the ecu with new tune. You can also find a database of base tunes on romraider forums, where you can upgrade your tune to a newer version (don't mock with this unless you know what your doing).

Either way, since you have Cobb, you have OTS maps that they offer. Read the documentation and make sure the following cel's are disabled and your golden:

P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold

P0545 - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit Low

P0546 - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit High

P1301 - Misfire Detected (High Temperature Exhaust Gas)

P1312 - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Malfunction

P1544 - Exhaust Gas Temperature Too High

22 Ascent STOCK

MR TRIS and COVERTRUSSIAN thank you! APpreciate the knowledge I am a noob to lots of this. I am leaning towards the side of caution and wont be tackling the up pipe and AP install until we get some better weather, 7 Degrees and about 8" of snow = I haven't even hooked the AP to the car yet. I also plan on putting in the resistor fix as a "back up", already have those on hand. Plan on changing the banjo bolts/filters prior to the Stage 1 tune as well, trying to eliminate as many failure points as possible.

I have only had the car for a year and it now has 79,000 miles on it. I changed the Spark plugs and AVCS valves when I first got it. Didn't learn about the other issues until later.

Love this forum!

Hm. 07+, eh? My Subaru guy (who's generally pretty knowledgeable about them, I think) said mine was catless because it's an '06. That was the first time I'd heard about it, so I figured I misunderstood him. Still, with about 140k on the original, sounds like I better get that thing out and quick.

I thank all that have contributed information to my request. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are no car brand owners like Subaru owners.

Happy New Year to all and safe motoring in 2015!

Hm. 07+, eh? My Subaru guy (who's generally pretty knowledgeable about them, I think) said mine was catless because it's an '06. That was the first time I'd heard about it, so I figured I misunderstood him. Still, with about 140k on the original, sounds like I better get that thing out and quick.

He might be thinking about every other Subaru out there. Catted Up-Pipe Subarus:

04-05 FXT

02-05 WRX

05-06 LGT

Baja's have it too, not 100% sure on what years though.

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived