LegacyGT.com

Install of Lamin-X and Clearguard

SubLGTaru

As you all should know, it is cold here in Indiana. I'm debating on installing the Lamin-X fog film and Clearguard taillight film now or wait till spring.

I will be installing these in a HEATED garage. If I do this, and then drive it around in the cold temps will it mess them up at all? Will they have trouble sticking after install in the cold temps?

Just wanting to know if it is safe to install these now, or if I need to wait till spring.

Not sure if this applies to clear film, but with vinyl wrapping done on our company vans, the installers always requested that the vehicles should stay in a warm garage overnight BEFORE and AFTER the install.

I say give it more than just an hour.

i installed mine in the butt of winter, inside my heated garage which remains about 55-65, i ended up having a spray bottle of warm/hot water with me and would spray that on and use the wet application...

no problems here. trimming is the bitch of the process. so give yourself enough time to properly trim the overlays. otherwise install of the fogs took me about 5 mins each light, i would let the lights run and heat up the overlay, then trim accordingly. the tails were a little more annoying, but one you do one light the other light takes about half the time.

brian

Crap, I installed my yellow lamin-x fogs last weekend and I didn't do any of those precautions. I drove it in the garage, gave it a good wash, heated up the fog lights with a heat gun and put them on. It had a little trouble adhering to the edges, but I assumed it would get better once I was driving around with the foglights on. After I put them on I heated them up a little more, then drove off in the snow. Mine still look good and are sticking, maybe I got lucky:confused:

you'll be fine. after about 15 mins or so of them warming up they will adhere to the fog light. you don't need to use water at all, i just thought it was easier and allowed me to reapply the film several times until i was satisfied.

brian

I have a couple side questions for you guys about the lamin-X Film.

I purchased the Blue front Lamin-X film for my 06 LGT and wanted to know if I should replace the lens covers as they are a little pitted from rock chips?

Secondly, I have a pair of Painted eyelines which I'd like to install, however I'm not sure how to install them if I have the Lamin-X film on the lens. Has anyone done such an install? and if so can you help a brotha out?

always install lamin-x or similar products in warm weather or in a heated garage with something like a heat gun or blow drying. ive doen tails, fogs and smoked corners all in chilly weather with a blow dryer.

j-cobb...i dont think the lamin-x will interfere with the eyelines. PM ajwperformance, he knows lamin-x in and out

• 1 month later...
^^^^^+1, been pushin this idea around my head for a few days. just wanting to know how the yellow film looks, or just go yellow bulbs. just purchased HID kit and some 4000k fog bulbs (to hopefully match). so now im REALLY inquiring about the yellow fog film.

hey how do you like the yellow overlays on your fogs? from a driveability standpoint

I love the mixture of the light it produces. I Have the Osram Rallye's for my low beams which produce a very bright crisp white beam and I have selective yellow fog light bulbs with the yellow film that produces a nice yellow light right out in front of the car. The yellow bulbs I bought actually have a tint of blue that it throws out onto the road as well.

yellow bulbs with yellow film I have noticed a more solid beam of yellow thrown out right in front of the car. I also like the yellow film when the lights are off as it looks good on the car IMO.

Protects against rocks cracking your fog lights as well.

• 1 month later...
^^^^^+1, been pushin this idea around my head for a few days. just wanting to know how the yellow film looks, or just go yellow bulbs. just purchased HID kit and some 4000k fog bulbs (to hopefully match). so now im REALLY inquiring about the yellow fog film.

i noticed a slight difference in light output with the fogs... then i got 4300k HIDs and well... the only way i know my fogs are on is the reflection off of cars in front of me :lol:

eventually I would like to get 3000k fogs. color won't be much different, but the protection is worth 15 bucks!

brian

Archived