LegacyGT.com

Whirring noise when clutch depressed

Just finished re-doing my clutch install. There is now a whirring sound coming from the trans when the clutch is depressed. The first time I thought it was the tob not being greased. Took it apart and greased the tob, input shaft, and fork. Still haven't a clue as to what it is but I'm still guessing it may have to with the tob. Went from stock setup to 06 wrx smfw, act clutch/pp, stock tob. I inspected the snout before install and there is no scoring. The sound is only present when the clutch is depressed. Dead silent when I'm not on the clutch. Any ideas would be very much appreciated!

Also, the noise is only present when I push the clutch 90-100% down. Before that, there is no noise. I am also able to smoothly shift into gear when pushing the clutch around 75% down. Maybe its a pedal adjustment problem? It seems to be the opposite of what most people get with a new clutch and being locked into gear.

Sounds like a throw out bearing. Do a little research on the site. If its the tob, pull clutch order tsk3 snout kit from Fredbeans parts.

Didn't read close enough. Could be the clutch fork is out of alignment.

Yea I did a bunch of searching on here to see if anyone else had a similar problem. I'm still leaning towards it having to do with the tob but I can't understand why or what could be wrong with it as it was brand new. My thinking right now is the pedal needs to be adjusted. I'm not too educated with the way our trans works but maybe the tob is being excessively forced onto the pressure plate when I fully depress the clutch pedal, causing the noise. As I said, I'm able to easily shift into and out of gear with the pedal only depressed half way which to me indicates it is somewhat working properly. If adjusted the pedal doesn't solve it I'm just going to have it towed to the local suby shop. Don't feel like pulling the trans out for a third time in the past couple days lol.

I think the snout is grooved and you should probably get a TSK3 kit. I had similar issues, i thought i needed to break in the clutch but after 2000 miles the squeaking from the TOB drove me nuts and i ended up pulling down the trans and doing the snout kit

It sounds like you may have to replace the TOB to tell if that is the problem.

But you say it only makes the noise at 90% of pedal ?

Check the fork to make sure it is on the slave cylinder correctly, the piston, it should move in a straight line not at an angle.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived