LegacyGT.com

Fog Lights: yellow bulb or HID?

Urbanrunner

So I recently had a diode dynamic HID kit installed for headlights in my 2008 Subaru legacy. I love the ease of install and the look. I now have been recently contemplating amber fog lights. I have been looking at yellow halogen bulbs, amber LED bulbs, and a 3000k HID kit from DDM due to the awesome price compared to diode dynamics hid.

My question is to those who have amber fog lights, What do you suggest? I have issues with more HIDs since my headlight was already HIDs. I am scared I would have a lot of problems, but I could be wrong.

I hear amber bulbs are ok and LED bulbs are not bright. I also hear about lamix covers, but am not interested in light covers.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All of the current LED replacements won't have near enough output to be a functional fog light. I would personally stick with a yellow halogen bulb, there are a few good options out there.

I personally run yellow lamin-x foglight tint with yellow halogen bulbs (cheap nokya hyper yellows). Love the way they look but output isn't the greatest which doesn't bother me as our foglights output isn't great to begin with. I wouldn't run hid's in the fogs as it would create excessive glare towards oncoming traffic (as does your hid kit in halogen headlights). LEDs would probably give you a similar look as yellow halogens but with much less output and better longevity (my halogens went out after about 2 years). All in all each option has its pros and cons and its up to you which option suits your wants and needs better.

Do you want them to still function as fog lights? Then halogens.

There is no excuse to use HID's in your fog lights.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Do you want them to still function as fog lights? Then halogens.

There is no excuse to use HID's in your fog lights.

I figured you would have a say in this, I respect your advice. I really don't want to mess with fog light HIDs due to any possible issues, not so much the blinding of others...lol

Now from what I understand, most people are saying Halogens...any specific brand that's better than another in the amber range?

What about these, I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, and it looks like these have a pretty good reviews on amazon....anybody try these?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/9006-Nokya-2500k-Hyper-Yellow/dp/B001587GVM]9006 Hb4 Nokya 2500k Hyper Yellow Head/fog Light Bulbs : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

There is no need to go HID on your Fog's they will overpower your headlights with the yellow. I went with a pair of Lumnatics Yellow bulbs for my Fog's Best replacement lights around IMO ran them in my Acura RSX High beam and Fogs for about 4 years with no problems.

I actually just bought a set of Nokya bulbs.... again. I had them when I first have fogs and they are very yellow. I had 3000k and 6000k HIDs for my fogs, while they look great, I'm having wiring issue with HID fogs. No idea why..

HID 3000k with be a pale yellow, while most yellow bulbs will be a deeper yellow. Had PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow as well, the yellow is very unique, in a good way, but they lasted me 3 months.

The reason for the Color shift on HID foglights is that they need to be 55W instead of the standard 35w that they would normally be. This makes it hard to find a good Yellow HID kit since if you go lower it will be very pale colored and if you go higher you start getting a little whitish blue tint around the edge.

Just throw some yellow laminX over them.

Yep since you already have the HID's might as well spend the $10-$20 for the Film. I'll go take a picture of mine in a little bit to show everyone how the Luminatics Yellow bulbs look.

Thanks guys..I may try the nokya bulbs.. And go from there

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

one of these threads again. get a set of Hoen fog light bulbs. $40 and they're the yellowest bulb out there.

Archived