LegacyGT.com

Fuel Filter Replacement w/ pics

Hope this will lend a helping hand to anyone trying to replace the fuel filter. I didn't see any other threads after quite a bit of searching, so if this is a repost, I apologize... if not, prepare to be enlightened.

This was on a 2002 Legacy GT.

STEP 1

Make sure the engine has been off for several hours before performing.

STEP 2

Relieve the pressure in the system by:

1. Open the fuel door and remove the gas cap.

2. Remove the back seat from your car. :confused: Yep... the back seat. (This is off a Sedan. I hear the wagons are a little easier)

((PICTURE 1))

---Open up the panel located under the seat on the passenger-side of the car. Disconnect the white cable as shown above. Start the engine and let it run till it dies.

4. Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery (Sparks + Gas = BAD!):eek:

5. Place shop rags underneath the fuel filter (located on the drivers side under the hood near the brake master cyclinder) to catch any spilled gas.

6. Loosen the medal clamps with a Phillips Head on both hoses leading in and out of the fuel filter. Twist and pull the hoses, carefully, until they are off the fuel filter (replace bad hoses, cracked, browned, etc).

7. Unclip the filter bracket, pop out the old fuel filter and in with the new one (check the "IN" and "OUT" markings on the filter), insert the hoses and tighten the clamps.

8. Wipe up any gas that may have leaked, reconnect the NEGATIVE terminal, reconnect the wiring plug for the fuel pump. Start the car and check the hoses for any leaks. Put the cover on the fuel pump, put the back seat in and your ready to go!

(Here's how the car will look afterwards...) :p :p

((PICTURE 2))

:lol:

Enjoy the MPG!--

Kyle

Subaru.jpg.7854d74d458237316bc8b202fcdbe761.jpg

MySubby2.JPG.261791cec28bb56463a1d8a368a5b9f5.JPG

• 5 months later...

na. no real need to prime the filter or diconnect the fuel pump. i do fuel filters everyday and have never once done it. hell i dont even open the gas cap, its just 1 xtra step you dont need to do especially if you wanna beat flat rate and earn the dough.

just make sure that when you go to restart the car that you to the key to the ON position first before you try to crank it over the first time. it normally takes 2 attempts to start it.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

On my previous Legacy 96 I just disabled fuel pump by removal of the fuse on the left of steering column. After that start the car, and it will shut off by itself when presure is relieved. Just to be extra safe -open fuel tank cap. After you replaced filter - put fuse in place, turn the key to "on", but do not crank, let fuel pump to buzz, switch back to "off" and repeat 1-2 times - it will "prime" the filter. Then the very first start is yours :) I used the same procedure on 2000 Forester and 2002 Outback - the fuse trick worked fine.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You know, I tried to fuse trick since that was the trick on my old Mercury Mystique too, and the car never died (very briefly but I'm pretty sure it was the right one). Maybe I'm off, you could be right... esp. since it worked on the Outback. Guess maybe I threw in some extra steps for safety sake... so the gas won't keep coming out as long as the cars off? That'd be sweet, the back seat is a pain to take out.

As RAO said, on the 05 Legacy the fuel filter is in the fuel tank. I miss not being able to change it ea.8-10K miles.Have any of you installed one in the line on the

left fender well where the Forrester 04 filter used to be ?? Scoobymods has some good

pics and inst. on how to get to it in the fuel tank.Not as simple as a few yrs ago tho..

deadeye

• 1 year later...

My car has 10yrs old (144K miles) and the fuel line is looking

pretty crufty where it attaches to the fuel filter. It is labeled

"HP fuel 7207". Is there anything special about this, or can

I just go to any auto parts store and buy the correct diameter

"fuel hose" ?

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I examined trusty owners manual today and discovered that the fuel should be replaced every 30 months. I've owned this car for 57 months and I have never replaced it. Who knows if it were replaced ever before. So tomorrow when I am snowed in I have a little project to do. Should be fun.

....I know. I know. I can't get snowed in, I have a Subaru.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So what really are the symptoms for replacing a fuel filter? Our '98 Outback has 118,000 miles and I'm sure the previous owner never replaced it, so it's on the original... When I pulled the engine I started it up on 5 year old gas on the premise I'd change the filter after, but it runs so nice I haven't thought about it...

It:

idles nice

starts nice

has good power

drives around town nice

The only thing I notice is I can hear/feel the "firing" of the motor more than I can on the '05 LGT, the '05 is either a smoother and more balanced motor or I need to change the fuel filter on the '98... :) If new cars don't even have fuel filters, what are the symptoms I'd look for before replacing this one?

• 3 months later...
Very nice.

Before everyone gets mental, this will NOT work on an 05. The fuel filter in the 05s is in the fuel tank and there is no scheduled replacement interval.

It's 60,000 miles on an 04. I bring it up because mine has crossed the line and as you know, it's a hellacious project. I can't say how little I want to depressurize the system and drain the tank. But I also have no idea how important it is. If anyone has a cost/benefit analysis, I'd appreciate it.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
Have an '05 and I changed the fuel filter this weekend. Looking back, it isn't really hard to do, just a PITA since I didn't have much information going into this project. I have hesitation with my wagon and it is noticeable when driving up a hill and the load on the engine raises. Hopefully this fixes the problem. Oh, I found metal debris in the fuel pump/filter assembly. Yeah you want to change fuel filters regardless what Subaru says for interval. Ordered it online to avoid stealership costs. The p/n is 42072AG16A for $68 from subarupartsamerica.com. Make sure you gas tank is 3/4 empty!!

Haven't had the chance to re-create the problem. Noticed it on a persistent incline when the load is on the engine. Need to hit up Tiger Mountain sometime to see if the problem returns since that is where I easily notice the problem.

Archived