LegacyGT.com

Why Subaru?

Mize

Hi all,

I'm considering a 2010 Legacy 2.5i as well as the following: Mazda 6, Ford Fusion, & Nissan Altima. I like the Subaru, but it does get the lowest ranking for initial quality (J.D. Power) of the bunch and that makes me hesitate. Do I need to worry? What advantages does the Legacy have over the others (AWD being an obvious one). Thanks for the advice!

By the way, I read over and over how everyone thinks the 2010 Legacy is so ugly. Is that still the general consensus? I don't usually care too much what others think in that regard, but I've seen that opinion so much I'm starting to think I'm blind! I actually think it's a pretty nice looking car...am I missing something? :confused:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dont know much about the 2010, though I have heard JD Power's info isnt too reliable. As far as the car's appearance, dont base your decision on other people's opinions. It certainly has potential to look good, you should check out the JDM/EDM versions with blacked out headlights. Oh, and welcome to the forum!

My nickel's worth:

Go with your test-drive instincts. Whatever feels right when you're behind the wheel.

I used to drive a Mazdaspeed 6--great car. Lease ended, tested the Legacy, felt right. If it feels right during an extended test-drive, hard to go wrong.

PS--I don't think the 2010 is ugly @ all. It's just different from the prior generation, which was quite attractive IMHO.

Hi all,

I'm considering a 2010 Legacy 2.5i as well as the following: Mazda 6, Ford Fusion, & Nissan Altima. I like the Subaru, but it does get the lowest ranking for initial quality (J.D. Power) of the bunch and that makes me hesitate. Do I need to worry? What advantages does the Legacy have over the others (AWD being an obvious one). Thanks for the advice!

By the way, I read over and over how everyone thinks the 2010 Legacy is so ugly. Is that still the general consensus? I don't usually care too much what others think in that regard, but I've seen that opinion so much I'm starting to think I'm blind! I actually think it's a pretty nice looking car...am I missing something? :confused:

Mize, the people who think it's ugly are generally the ones who own the previous version. They have a vested interest. So do I, as I have one of the new ones. I can say that all of the people who have seen my new car (friends, co-workers etc) have been very favorably disposed to it's looks.

Personally, I think the new one looks, well, new. And the old one looks, well, old. Change is good. The previous gen folks need to get a grip on the fact that they aren't driving the latest and greatest anymore.

Pete

I think the '10 is not very photogenic. In person driving down the road they look a lot better, and you can still tell it's a Legacy.

As for the quality, I had a Forester, which like the Impreza, doesn't have as nice of materials as the Legacy, but it holds up very nice and can take abuse. Going from the Forester to my 'new' Legacy you can see the fit, finish, and materials are much nicer, and I would expect the '10 to be the same.

Plus, everyone and the mother has an Altima.

IMO, Subaru has a niche market. Certain people just fall in the love with the brand and stick to it. A lot of forum members go from Subaru to Subaru over the years, or own at least 2 of them.

You gotta drive one to see if you'll fall in love with Subaru too.

I have the slowest version of Legacy, an automatic non-turbo, and I still love it.

Mize, the people who think it's ugly are generally the ones who own the previous version. They have a vested interest. So do I, as I have one of the new ones. I can say that all of the people who have seen my new car (friends, co-workers etc) have been very favorably disposed to it's looks.

Personally, I think the new one looks, well, new. And the old one looks, well, old. Change is good. The previous gen folks need to get a grip on the fact that they aren't driving the latest and greatest anymore.

Pete

Vested interested? :rolleyes: You bumped your head? All previous generation owners would like the new version to be actually attractive, hey, at least decent looking, so they would have a car to upgrade to.

Vested interested? :rolleyes: You bumped your head? All previous generation owners would like the new version to be actually attractive, hey, at least decent looking, so they would have a car to upgrade to.

I'm just saying that people who have already purchased a car aren't very fair minded when it comes to honestly evaluating it. We all like to think we're a good judge of horse flesh. I never thought the previous version was a good looking car (never owned one either). Other people think it's the end-all of cutting edge car design. Those folks tend to be the people who already have one.

They like to be re-inforced, I suppose.

Here's my point. This car is a 1994 (style made from 1994-1997) Honda Accord. It was a great car and I owned one (LX 5MT) for three years. Take the nameplates off and you can hardly tell the difference between it and a gen 4 Subaru Legacy. That's the nature of the car market, designers stick within defined and familiar boundaries.

To the people who rail against the current Legacy calling it a Honda / Toyota clone, I just shake my head and smile.

http://webpages.charter.net/petewk/94Accord.jpg

Guest heightsgtltd

Pete

:lol: :lol:

Seriously? you couldn't be more off base.

Here's my point. This car is a 1994 (style made from 1994-1997) Honda Accord. It was a great car and I owned one (LX 5MT) for three years. Take the nameplates off and you can hardly tell the difference between it and a gen 4 Subaru Legacy.

http://webpages.charter.net/petewk/94Accord.jpg

Yeah, um--we're gonna have to "agree to disagree" on that point. Those cars don't look anything alike.

Like I said, I think the 2010 is quite attractive with a nice new design--much better in person, it must be said. The last generation Legacy was a beauty as well. As for this thread's author, I say: I've truly enjoyed my Subaru experience--as much as or more than any other car I have owned in the past.

Hope that helps. :)

Back to the OP:

I wouldn't put too much stock in the JD Power Initial Quality rankings. They really only reflect the fit/finish of the car when you drive it off the lot. If you look at longer term reliability Subaru is quite good.

With regards to looks, the new generation doesn't photograph well, but looks good in person. A friend just bought one, and the looks are definitely growing on me.

All the cars you've listed are excellent choices, and highly regarded. Honestly, I think it comes down to a gut reaction after driving them, and which features you want.

Yeah, um--we're gonna have to "agree to disagree" on that point. Those cars don't look anything alike.

:)

You're in denial my friend. Scroll between the Honda picture and the white Subaru pictured at the top of every legacygt.com page. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. The resemblance is uncanny. Same shape, same lines.

Thanks all! I look forward to driving one. One reason it is tops on my list is because you don't see as many of them on the road as the other brands (as correctly stated by fx4me!) Also, you get a lot of features for the $. Only one that might top it in this category is the Fusion. I'll keep my mind open, but I hope to like the Legacy!

Pete

The moral of the story? No matter how much your mom (or Pete) tells you that you are beautiful, it won't make it so.;)

That I own a 2005 will not make the 2010 uglier either. That reasoning not only does not make sense, it is baseless. Gee, I wish the 2010 looked like a chunky monkey to turn me off from trading or buying another. Hell, I'd rather have the new Forester!

As for "latest and greatest" :lol: Pete, you do know this is a Subaru right? Not a GT3, not a LP640, not even an STI! No one gets a Legacy looking for the latest and greatest.

You're in denial my friend. Scroll between the Honda picture and the white Subaru pictured at the top of every legacygt.com page. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. The resemblance is uncanny. Same shape, same lines.

Well they're alike in that they are both sedans. Otherwise I don't see it. But hey--we have a different set of eyes!

Enjoy your new GT. Did you get the short-shifter? Those throws were LONG when I test-drove the stock shifter. :spin:

Ok, to people for whom 4th gen Legacy looks like that Accord, MY10 looks better. Ok, that actually makes sense. Subaru went mainstream with MY10 Legacy, and people with mainstream tastes are to be expected to show up on these boards in large numbers, reflecting sales success.

Personally I started shopping for '10 LGT and just couldn't get around how fugly it looks. I chose the 4th gen and I had no vested interests whatsoever.

Well they're alike in that they are both sedans. Otherwise I don't see it.:

De Nile - Turn right when you get to Egypt.

http://webpages.charter.net/petewk/Accord-1.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/petewk/Legacy-1.jpg

Enjoy your new GT. Did you get the short-shifter? Those throws were LONG when I test-drove the stock shifter. :spin:

Oh, and I'm not a Subaru Sycophant (look it up) as you seem to be. There are plenty of problems with every car, even mine (gasp).

WHY, OH WHY SUBARU, CAN'T YOU MAKE THE PERFECT CAR.

Oh, um, I mean other than yours. It sure is a good thing that YOUR car is perfect. The world revolves around it! Yeah, right.

I bought my 2005 Wagon because I wanted a car that doesn't look like everyone's. It goes in all kinds of weather, and although snow was a consideration, the AWD does well in rain as well. Two flaws, the original ECU was blamed for headlight burnout and the cooling fans ran all the time. Rear wheel bearings were gone at 60,000 miles. Both issues fixed under warranty.

The Subaru also has a good safety reputation, but I hope I never have to try that out!

Oh, and I'm not a Subaru Sycophant (look it up) as you seem to be. There are plenty of problems with every car, even mine (gasp).

WHY, OH WHY SUBARU, CAN'T YOU MAKE THE PERFECT CAR.

Oh, um, I mean other than yours. It sure is a good thing that YOUR car is perfect. The world revolves around it! Yeah, right.

No need to get touchy.

Have a nice weekend captain sarcasm.

:)

Nope i see it, and i have to agree, shit looks similar. :eek:

Doesnt make the 2010 LGT look any better tho, still uglier than the previous gen.

It doesn't bother me that my Subaru looks something like a Toyota or Lexas or whatever. At least they're all current models and so current streams of design. When Subaru came out with the 2004 Legacy they were basically reaching back 10 years. That's a long time in car design.

Oh, and I haven't purchased a car based on how it looks since my 1971 Olds Cutlass S. I fit in so few cars that I can't be picky. It looks like a 4 door sedan, that's about it.

Archived