LegacyGT.com

EQ tuning: STI swap install problems...

bsax14

took my car into EQ tuning of fairfield last week. They were going to install the following parts w/ a tune...

04 STI TMIC

STI intake mani

VF39

DW 650 injectors

Walbro 255 lph pump

Harman Manual boost control

TGV deletes

After it was all put together (took twice as long as quoted), everything looked beautiful as they took their time to make everything look clean. When they started it up it was running extremely rough. They have had the car for a week since then and have yet to figure out the problem. They have literally checked all injectors, coils, and plugs, as well as all connections and wiring diagrams. Now they are back at the beginning all tore down, scratching their heads....ANY HELP APPRECIATED! ANY IDEAS ANYONE?

thanks

wont idle fine, runs extremely rough. so rough in fact it causes a rattle! Ed (owner/tuner_ had it hooked up to the computer and he said according to the comp. everything was fine. But i have never heard my engine do that before... I'm gonna call them soon to see if there is an update, as they've had my car for almost a week now!

any input greatly appreciated...

One of the open source programs should be able to monitor cylinder roughness. That should narrow it down to a specific cylinder.

Did the car pass a pressure test? What is vacuum at idle? There are alot of hoses involved in this swap...

pressure was less than ideal in two of the four cylinders, which is why the oil was dirtier than normal. Car was running smoothly pre-STI parts but after it was all put together it was not smooth at all. Any other input greatly appreciated. I will ask about the vacuum at idle though...

There's no reason why you should need a build bottom end because of this swap. If you didn't have a busted ringland before, then it didn't break by just putting the STI swap on (I'm assuming no one was dumb enough to try a WOT pull without tuning first).

It's likely something simple. Pull codes, and log with graphs in ROMRaider, or generate graphs in excel. Things are much easier to correlate when you're looking at graphs vs looking at a big spreadsheet of numbers.

Drop the stock injectors back in. You don't need the DWs for the VF39. One less variable to worry about. Someone messed up, or there's a busted part.

Warren

wasnt going to build the block because of this problem, but because of the compression in each cylinder. tried changing to stock injectors and that didn't help...i will check the other things as mentioned....

i really hope they're not charging you for all of this extra work. things dont line up right...your car worked before swap, but now does not work and has bad compression? seems like they messed up somewhere

yea i hear ya, i made it clear that im not going to pay for their mistakes. Im definitely going to have them get my car running back to normal as it was when i brought it in, before doing any further work. As for the compression, when they were swapping the plugs they did a compression test as well, which was prior to doing lots of the STI swap work...

Talked to Ed (owner) today, and he said the A/F ratios were fine, and everything else as well according to the ECU. the whole situation is frustrating let me tell you...

update on 7/16....

they're talking about my crank sensor and the possibility that it went out...how would that happen all of the sudden? and i guess checking to coils again would be the last few options, but they already checked them by pulling them individually...I sure hope they shine some light on this today, or i am going to go apesh*t!

Update...

Got my car outta EQ w/o paying anything, except for oil/coolant and o-rings for injectors. I took it to Paul @ DB tuning in sacramento area and he will finish the swap. I will let everyone know how it goes...

It also ran alot smoother after it was returned to stock, which tells me they F*cked up somewhere...

Paul @ DBtuned has looked it over, and he said that eq F*cked up the engine wiring harness (nicks in wires, extended, wrong injector connector...) Apparently withe the STI swap this is not needed. So EQ tuning in my book, has cost me money, as i will be returning to them w/ a bill after the swap is said and done @ DBtuned.

on top of that...the turbo coolant lines were leaking.

Watch out for EQ TUNING all of those in the bay area...

Archived