LegacyGT.com

08 auto trans, already not working right

IMPORTIMAGE

Hello,

just wanted to let everyone know...

i picked up an 08 lgt. im probably the only one who has had this problem, as im friends with the dealership etc and i sell a bunch of legacy parts (my family owns 2 legacy's between us) and we've never heard of this problem.

problem...

when the car shifts into 3rd gear, it slams itself in gear. you can hear the THUD from the tranny. the rpms drop too fast and the car slams itself into gear. not fun for a car with 1500 miles on it that has been driven like an elderly man driving it so far.

I'll let everyone know of the resolution to this, as subaru should fix this. again it only happens in 3rd gear. and it feels like my old ford lightning with a valve body on it (like someone is kicking you in the back of the seat every time)

just seeing if anyone else had this problem.

regards

Josh

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Both of our auto trans shifted rough when new, but this sounds like more than that. Stop by a transmission shop...a lot of them offer free road tests. Even if you have to pay a nominal fee, at least you get an expert opinion before you go back to the dealer.
It is still ugly.

my installer works at the local suby tech, i bet they give me a new auto trans for free. he's a 7 year suby tech and always takes care of me (i give him all my installs for free as sidework, and he built up my gt35R sti) among other cars, i dont trust my cars with anyone but him, as he works on suby's for a living.

they might shift rough...but he said he's never been in one like this before...

everything is nice and smooth, but 3rd gear...drops rpms then BAM hits...you can feel the transmission moving underneath you...the big vibration under the floor boards etc. feels like its coming from underneath you/engine compartment.

im not one to bitch about cars, after all i sell parts for a living, but i just bought the car, and something is DEFINITELY wrong with it, he agrees.

My wife's 06 Tribeca does almost exactly the same thing, but to a milder extent. On that car it largely goes away after the car is warmed up, but it is noticeable when cold. IMHO the sorta-Jatco 5 speed auto that we get is a steaming pile of crap.

Well I have only had my 08 Gt for 2500miles but, I don't have that problem. This has actually been the smoothest shifiting auto from Subaru that I have had. My 99 legacy GT did have extremely hard 3rd gear shifts and my 04 impreza was not as bad as the 99 but 3rd gear was not smooth, it did get better as time went along.

Will let you know if I run into any similar problems.

lol

yeah well my sti is all i need as its a 500whp big turbo type car...the legacy gt i just bought to have a reliable daily car...so much for that! hah. hopefully it all gets fixed right...or i wont be a lgt owner for very long. which is disappointing because i really really love the car...minus the tranny problem.

you dont know steaming pile of automatic crap until you've driven a ford transmission...

sorry to hear about your problem, imo take every possible precaution to get it fixed, make the dealer hate you if you have to. Theres nothing worse than transmission problems in a car to ruin your fun and your resale possibiliy.

personally this has been the best auto tranny I've driven, and I dont treat it as well as I should.. I'm in "manumatic" mode way too often for its own good I'm sure.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

it didnt squeak after i had the drag radials on ;)

thanks guys, i made an appointment for friday at 2pm...hopefully they have a way for me to get back to work, because my STI is also there (with my friend the subaru tech) getting new fans for the radiator + finishing up the gt35R kit before tuning...so thats 2 cars i own...none perfected yet.

join the club. Ohh yeah, thanks for the hook up on the perrin fm import image. My lgt is in the shop at Harman for an trans issue. I completly blew it up with a vf37 twinscroll. I know it suck when both subys are in the shop. Harman has the lgt and Yimi Sport has my WRX that is going to be sold tomorrow. I'm down to the daily driver.:icon_frow i realyl want the lgt back. its been otu for over a month waiting for the IPT torque converter to come back and the vb upgrade adjustment.

damn!

that sucks, but mine is stock...my lgt= my daily driver...thats why i bought it...to be super reliable. Subaru said bring it in on friday...no loaner or anything. so my friend is going to write up an RO so i dont have to waist my day sitting there instead of working, order up a new auto trans...badda bing, betty boop, new trans it is. only need it to break 2 more times, then i have a lemon lol. spec b anyone!?

• 1 month later...
bring it to the dealer, the tech took about an hour, reprogrammed the ecu/tranny computer, and it's been working great every since, they just came up with a fix :)

It looks like I have to reset my ECU and see what happens. Thanks for the heads up.

Well I have only had my 08 Gt for 2500miles but, I don't have that problem. This has actually been the smoothest shifiting auto from Subaru that I have had. My 99 legacy GT did have extremely hard 3rd gear shifts and my 04 impreza was not as bad as the 99 but 3rd gear was not smooth, it did get better as time went along.

Will let you know if I run into any similar problems.

I have to agree - this tranny is like butter. Good luck on your diagnostics!

Edit: Oops, didn't read far enough. Looks like it's all taken care of. Nice work!

Archived