LegacyGT.com

front bumber and maybe a turbo question

so ive been looking for a front bumber cover and renforcenment for my 98 legacy gt and have had NO luck finding one and was wondering is someone could help me. mine is destroyed and there is no fixing it.

now the maybe turbo question, i have had to add a 1/2 quart of oil a week for 2 months now and i found where it is coming from, on the passanger side head gasket on the top is a box that looks to be a turbo oil feed and its leaking from there, there is no turbo on my ej25 as of now and i dont know if there was, but there is a blow off valve, and brackets for the boost controler. i was just wanting to know if this box on top of my head gasket is a actual part of the gasket or a turbo line and if i can just tighten it up or remove it to stop the leak. would really like to know i cant afford oil and gas every week. and no i do not want a turbo legacy.

• I Donated

what year is your car?

And no, there was likely never a turbo on your car....and there is NOT a blow off valve on it. I think you may be mistaking for something else. Can you take a picture of what you're talking about and post it? If I can see what you're talking about, I can help you a lot better

I think what you're talking about is a crankcase breather and the EGR valve.....

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Ok its a 1998, what I thought was a blow off valve says egr or something like that. I can't post a pic because I'm using a blackberry but I will do the photo bucket upload and post the link up tomorrow.

Ha zues your funny but I'm trying to explane this the best I can.

Oh and what make a car sound like a out of tune V8 and how do I make it sound like a boxer again

• I Donated

What you thought was your blow off valve is your EGR valve. Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Thats why it says EGR on it.

Your car probably sounds like a messed up V8 because you have an exhaust leak somewhere.

Your car was never turbo. You really can't turbo charge the EJ25D engine without blowing it up. Not all Subarus are turbo....actually most of them are NOT turbo. The second generation Legacy was never available with a turbo in the US market. There are a few US market turbo Legacys out there, but they have had a complete engine / transmission swap....along with all the proper ECU / wiring modifications.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

No offence but I did say I didn't want a turbo legay. Now the thing that is leaking oil is located right above the spark plug wires on the passanger side. I would like to know what it is and why its leaking oil. I'm about to take it to my machinac and have him take a look. I know he is going to say I need to replace the. Valve cover, but last time he said that I just tightened up the bolts on the head gasket and I had no oil leaks until 2 months ago

From the sound of it, you have limited knowledge of the nuts and bolts of mechanics. nothing wrong with that, but you already answered your own question "I'm about to take it to my machinac and have him take a look."

first off, the gasket you are referring to is the valve cover gasket, the head-gasket is a much more critical gasket deeper in the engine. the "box" you are talking about sounds like the crankcase breather, and should have a hose going to the intake. if it is leaking around the edges you should be able to replace the gasket.

Honestly I have more than limited knowledge, but I just don't know the names of a lot of the parts in the engine bay. And thanks I thought the. valve cover was the seal well now I know.

I'm just going to tighten up the bolts on the valve cover and hope for the best for now and if it continues then she will be in the shop for a week, I didn't want to take it to my mechanic because it took him 4 days to find out I had ice blocking the air intake and a week for the clutch so that's why I ask here first.

• I Donated
Honestly I have more than limited knowledge, but I just don't know the names of a lot of the parts in the engine bay. And thanks I thought the. valve cover was the seal well now I know.

I'm just going to tighten up the bolts on the valve cover and hope for the best for now and if it continues then she will be in the shop for a week, I didn't want to take it to my mechanic because it took him 4 days to find out I had ice blocking the air intake and a week for the clutch so that's why I ask here first.

Thats a bad idea to just tighten the bolt. You will wind up stripping them out because your head is aluminum. Ive seen it happen several times.

It sounds like you doubt your mechanic...maybe you should fi.d a new one.

And to be honest, if you think your car has a blow off valve and a turbo line, you are an amature at best under the hood

Sent from my Android powered HTC HD2

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated
Thats a bad idea to just tighten the bolt. You will wind up stripping them out because your head is aluminum. Ive seen it happen several times.

I forgot to ad that there are torque specs on these bolts. Too tight or too loose will cause them to leak more, and can damage the head...as well, you can warp or crack the valve cover if you bolt it down too tight.

Do yourself a favor and take it to someone who knows what they are doing with it, or have.someone there to help walk you through it. You may know a few basics about under the hood, but you seem to be lacking the proper knowledge to properly diagnose and fix your cars problems.

Youre much better off getting help so youre sure its done right. Like I had said before, these bolts are very easy to strip....and the holes can not be retapped. If you screw up, repairing your **** up can cost you a lot of money.

Im not trying to be a jerk about it, Im just trying to give you the best advise. If youre local to me, Ill be more then happy to help walk you through it and teach you some things along the way.

Keep in mind that patch work (half ass repairs) usually cost you more money later on. It better, safer, smarter, and cheaper to fix it right the first time. Please dont crawl under your car and just "tighten the bolts".

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

First off I said it looks like a turbo lead and blow off valve and gladly I was mistaken. I have full trust in my mechanic I just don't like driving a pontiac vibe. When I was going to auto motive classes my instructor said to tighten the bolts before I take it anywhere and I trust him. As of right now I don't want to put anymore money into this pit, and maybe trade up to a 2000ish RS or newer legacy gt and keep this one as a weekend warrior

• I Donated
FWhen I was going to auto motive classes my instructor said to tighten the bolts before I take it anywhere and I trust him.

Lol ok. Do what you want. But when you strip the threads out of the head its your own fault because you have been warned about it.

Your instructor either is giving you poor advise, or he thinks that its a cast head. He porbably doesnt realise its aluminum.

But, you and your auto instructor are the experts.....forget about the good advise that a truely experienced mechanic gives you!

Haha. Have fun trying to heli-coil or replace the head when you mess it up.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Archived