LegacyGT.com

Legacy vs Jetta 2.0?

Hi!

I am looking at my first Subaru. I've been driving a 2001 VW Jetta (2.0L, 5-speed), that I enjoy driving quite a bit. It's not a race-car, but on the twisty backroads in my area, it was fun. It was horrible in bad weather, was way too small for a carseat in the backseat. And unfortunately, it has been totaled.

I've seem some complaints that the Legacy is a little underpowered, but I'm wondering how it would compare to my little 2.0L Jetta (with no Turbo). Basically I'm asking: is the Legacy any fun to drive?

Our budget is about $18-19k.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should really drive one for yourself, it is very subjective. For the most part subaru engines make their power in the mid range so don't expect high revving shenanigans. And from the factory it will need help with handling, and probably some better tires.

What are your other requirements?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

As a previous Volkswagen enthusiast, I can tell you the Legacy is fun to drive. The 5cyl Jetta is pretty zippy, but looks like you might of had the 4cyl one. I went from a 3.6 B6 Passat to a 2.5 Legacy. While there is less power with the Leggy, I still enjoy the ride.

As a previous Volkswagen enthusiast, I can tell you the Legacy is fun to drive. The 5cyl Jetta is pretty zippy, but looks like you might of had the 4cyl one. I went from a 3.6 B6 Passat to a 2.5 Legacy. While there is less power with the Leggy, I still enjoy the ride.

It was just the 2.0 4 cylinder. It made something like 115 HP if I remember correctly.

I'm not a car enthusiast by any means - but I do enjoy driving. I took a Legacy on a short test drive yesterday, and I liked it. But so much of what I read online seemed to complain that it was underpowered and the CVT was a bad driving experience. I don't know enough to know how it would compare to my old Jetta. I was happy driving my Jetta around (the 5-speed helped a lot).

I like the build quality, reputation, durability, and AWD of the Subaru. I just don't want something that's boring to drive.

You should really drive one for yourself, it is very subjective. For the most part subaru engines make their power in the mid range so don't expect high revving shenanigans. And from the factory it will need help with handling, and probably some better tires.

What are your other requirements?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Hi! I actually was able to briefly test drive a Legacy, Crosstrek, and Forester yesterday to compare. I think the Legacy will be the best option of the three for us.

My requirements are actually pretty simple. I want reliable, and AWD (hence the Subaru), more space than the Jetta, without it being a boring car to drive. I'm not a car enthusiast, but I like to drive, and really enjoyed driving the Jetta.

I have a 2010 model. I have a complete love-hate relationship with it.

Here are the pros and cons

Pro's:

Gas mileage (23 to 32 mpg) best mileage at 75 or under.

Interior room

Ergonomics (not too complicated to operate)

Engine packaging (everything is accessible)

Handling (after I installed 19mm and 26 mm sway bar)

High speed stability

Cons:

Suspension issues at low speeds

Reliablility (I have had transmission, airbag clock spring, HVAC compressor and other work done on mine)

CVT - the car just sounds god awful

Acceleration (it's slow to a point, it does get better once it gets going, but you have to hammer the gas)

Engine noise under acceleration

A couple of years ago, I was looking at trading my car for a 2013 or 2014 Volkswagen GLI. I couldn't justify the cost of getting out of the Legacy to buy one of those gems, but, I really enjoyed driving the VW with the 6 speed manual. It was one of the most nimble handling cars I had ever driven. During that time, I was also looking at used CC models as well. And maybe a manual Passat.

If I were you, I would take a serious look at the Volkswagens or look at a manual Legacy. On paper, you will sacrifice gas mileage with the 5 speed, but in the real world, it might be different. A former coworker told me that he gets about 30 in his. He probably drives differently than I do, but he probably doesn't hold his foot to the floor to get something out of it. He claims to drive 85 on the freeways.

Don't settle for the CVT if you can. If you like the Subie powertrain, you also might look at the Impreza or the WRX. You can also look used on both cars. A used Subie is somewhat of a better bet, although people get rid of their Subarus for a reason - they are probably worn out. Look for a southern car if you can.+

I have a 2010 model. I have a complete love-hate relationship with it.

Here are the pros and cons

Pro's:

Gas mileage (23 to 32 mpg) best mileage at 75 or under.

Interior room

Ergonomics (not too complicated to operate)

Engine packaging (everything is accessible)

Handling (after I installed 19mm and 26 mm sway bar)

High speed stability

Cons:

Suspension issues at low speeds

Reliablility (I have had transmission, airbag clock spring, HVAC compressor and other work done on mine)

CVT - the car just sounds god awful

Acceleration (it's slow to a point, it does get better once it gets going, but you have to hammer the gas)

Engine noise under acceleration

A couple of years ago, I was looking at trading my car for a 2013 or 2014 Volkswagen GLI. I couldn't justify the cost of getting out of the Legacy to buy one of those gems, but, I really enjoyed driving the VW with the 6 speed manual. It was one of the most nimble handling cars I had ever driven. During that time, I was also looking at used CC models as well. And maybe a manual Passat.

If I were you, I would take a serious look at the Volkswagens or look at a manual Legacy. On paper, you will sacrifice gas mileage with the 5 speed, but in the real world, it might be different. A former coworker told me that he gets about 30 in his. He probably drives differently than I do, but he probably doesn't hold his foot to the floor to get something out of it. He claims to drive 85 on the freeways.

Don't settle for the CVT if you can. If you like the Subie powertrain, you also might look at the Impreza or the WRX. You can also look used on both cars. A used Subie is somewhat of a better bet, although people get rid of their Subarus for a reason - they are probably worn out. Look for a southern car if you can.+

Thanks! That's helpful. I don't think the Impreza or the WRX would have enough space. I like driving the Jetta, but now that we have a family, it was impractical in that regard.

I don't think I will ever buy another VW, to be honest. I enjoyed the driving experience of the Jetta, but I spent way too money on repairs. About every 6-8 months it seemed like something else was going wrong, and the repairs were always expensive.

I plan to look for a Legacy with manual transmission if I can find one within a reasonable distance. But in all likelihood, I may need to settle for the CVT.

The Legacy has so much more room than a mk4 Jetta. If you're used to a manual transmission, hold out for a Legacy with one, you'll be much more happy with it. It may take more searching and driving a little further, but will be worth it in the end.

I'm currently driving a 2.slow mk4 Golf 5MT and I'd jump into a 2.5i with a MT in a heartbeat.

You'll be much happier with a post facelift 2.5i, so 2013-2014, as the suspension is better than the earlier 5th Gens, and it is available with a 6MT, but research the oil consumption for the car, some cars had an issue as those were the first years with the FB25 motor. You should easily be able to get into one for your budget.

I'm not sure where you live but a quick search, there's a handful of 2013 3.6R's for sale that are just over $19k, around 45k miles or so. If you're looking for a bit more pep or like Chris said, maybe find an LGT but the 3.6R is less of a unicorn. I got my 2011 CPO for $19600 last year and had 35k on it. I would think the 2013's should be close to that range by now.

Definitely go 2013 or newer. As GTeaser said, facelift, better suspension, no worries about possible steering shimmy that some of the earlier years had.

You'll be much happier with a post facelift 2.5i, so 2013-2014, as the suspension is better than the earlier 5th Gens, and it is available with a 6MT, but research the oil consumption for the car, some cars had an issue as those were the first years with the FB25 motor. You should easily be able to get into one for your budget.

Thanks. That answers some questions re: the year. What about the 2015? Were there any major upgrades to them re: the driving experience? The one I test drove was a 2015, because that's all my dealer had.

2015+ is a very different car from a fit and finish standpoint, the interior is a notch above the 5th Gen, otherwise pretty much the same mechanically. But not available in a 6MT if that's what you want. Plus, I wouldn't buy a 2015 if you want a 6th Gen, the first model year always has weird stuff happen.

I'm not sure where you live but a quick search, there's a handful of 2013 3.6R's for sale that are just over $19k, around 45k miles or so. If you're looking for a bit more pep or like Chris said, maybe find an LGT but the 3.6R is less of a unicorn. I got my 2011 CPO for $19600 last year and had 35k on it. I would think the 2013's should be close to that range by now.

Definitely go 2013 or newer. As GTeaser said, facelift, better suspension, no worries about possible steering shimmy that some of the earlier years had.

A quick search on Autotrader within 200 miles had a couple in the price range, but at 75-80k miles. They're all quite a drive away.

What would be preferable between the MT 2.5 or CVT 3.6?

2015+ is a very different car from a fit and finish standpoint, the interior is a notch above the 5th Gen, otherwise pretty much the same mechanically. But not available in a 6MT if that's what you want. Plus, I wouldn't buy a 2015 if you want a 6th Gen, the first model year always has weird stuff happen.

Thanks. Most 2015s would be out of budget range, but I wanted to make sure it drove similarly. The extras don't make much of a difference to me.

Is there any subaru motor outside say the EZ30/36 in the past 20 years that didn't have oil consumption issues?

A quick search on Autotrader within 200 miles had a couple in the price range, but at 75-80k miles. They're all quite a drive away.

What would be preferable between the MT 2.5 or CVT 3.6?

Personal preference. What matters more, rowing your gears and getting better MPG or a quicker ride? Personally I would prefer the 6MT, the CVT 6 cylinder is kind of slow esp for the power jump you're supposed to get. Ideally a LGT probably gives the best of both worlds but you're entering another world when you get that ride.

Don't forget, the MT 2.5 is 2010-2014 and the CVT 3.6 is 2015+, quite different cars.

Is there any subaru motor outside say the EZ30/36 in the past 20 years that didn't have oil consumption issues?

I've put 13k miles on an old EJ22T with 160k miles on it when I bought it, put 53k miles on my EJ255 (LGT) and 20k miles on my other EJ255 (FXT), my daughter has put 10k miles on a 135k mile EJ253 (Forester X) and my wife has put 15k miles on her FA20 (BRZ) and none of those cars has consumed a drop of oil that I can tell.

I have a 2.5i 6MT, the 3.6R was within my budget and I choose the MT and would do so again. I personally prefer the driving interaction with a 6MT. The 3.6R is going to be faster in drag race and passing on the highway. My 2.5i has decent acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear. In the 3rd gear WOT on the highway it is not a rocket. I previously had a 2002 Chevy Prizm with 125hp and it was noticeable slower all around, but it particular on the highway doing pass maneuvers, I got blocked a bunch of time and I am pretty sure many times the car blocking me didn't realize they were doing so. Leaving my 2.5i in 6th gear to pass on the highway, the acceleration is much improved from my Prizm. I have been block a few times on the highway in my Legacy, but I am 100% positive the car blocking was intentionally blocking me.

The 10'-12' 2.5i 6MT are available in the higher premium trim level, so you get them with a few more options. The '13/'14 2.5i 6MT have a little steeper gear and 3hp more so they should feel faster, plus they have a stiffer suspension but their are no available options. As mention some have oil consumption issues, the good new is that Subaru covers engine replacement unto 100k miles for oil consumption.

I've put 13k miles on an old EJ22T with 160k miles on it when I bought it, put 53k miles on my EJ255 (LGT) and 20k miles on my other EJ255 (FXT), my daughter has put 10k miles on a 135k mile EJ253 (Forester X) and my wife has put 15k miles on her FA20 (BRZ) and none of those cars has consumed a drop of oil that I can tell.

What I mean is there any subaru motor versions that didn't have known issues with oil consumption.

I had an EJ22 that burned oil when I got her with 125k up until she died at 185.

I also had an EJ25 that went to 225 before I sold her and never burned a drop.

Thanks everyone! You have been unbelievably helpful! I'm leaning heavily toward trying to find a 2013-2014 manual.

Can anyone speak to the paddle shift that comes on the CVT. What's that like?

I drove a 2011 with the CVT, its meh. Its only good for holding gears, don't expect it to be sporty. Its a boring version of the manual. The only CVT from Subaru that is any fun is the WRX one (the 2015+ 3.6R one isn't programmed the same and isn't fun)

Thanks everyone! You have been unbelievably helpful! I'm leaning heavily toward trying to find a 2013-2014 manual.

Can anyone speak to the paddle shift that comes on the CVT. What's that like?

I used to rent a lot cars for business travel. I found the paddle shifters unsatisfying. I would used them for a minute and get bored. I have not driven a Subaru CVT with paddle shifters though.

Archived