LegacyGT.com

Strut replacements

Just had our 2010 Legacy premium state inspected in Westchester NY at a Mavis Discount Tire shop. mechanic said one Strut leaking in front and one in the rear. There is over 105k miles on the clock? I would think that all four should be replaced. Anyone have prices out there. I called my regular Dealer - for OEM equipment (he checked the VIN to see the exact struts for the car - the design was changed according to him), for all 4 with a new wheel alignment cost is $1520 Plus taxes !!!! Wow. Opinions invited.

I did KYB struts and 2013 3.6R springs recently. My car had ~145k on the stock struts, so the new KYBs were really noticeably better. If you are doing struts anyways, you have to take the springs off so it is a good time to swap out those over-soft 2010 springs. I used OEM 2013 3.6R springs which are nicely stiffer but still comfy.

I think I paid about 300 for the struts and 120 for the springs.

If you feel comfortable, doing the install yourself is not too bad.

Just curious, have you done the timing belt yet?

For the shocks, you could order a set of kyb excel g oe replacements off amazon for about $65 each with shipping you are probably looking at $300 ish. Get them and take them to a trustworthy shop for install or diy and save even more money. Most people will recommend changing out some other wear items like tophats and strut bearings, but IMO if money is a factor replace what needs replacing and cross the next bridge when you get to it.

I'd say get a second opinion. I live in NY and got new tires at Mavis. Guess what? They told me I needed new struts on my 50k mile car. Yeah, right...

I took my truck there that had 200k miles and they told me I needed new brake and PS fluid. I said I just changed them a week ago, and the guy backtracked. Said he meant something else. It's a SCAM.

If you *must* go there to buy tires (their prices aren't bad), tell them keep your hood closed and do not perform any extra checks.

They supposedly did an alignment too when I got tires, but couldn't furnish any printout. I call bull on that too.

Thanks to all for the advice. I'm leaning to the KYBs. Interestingly enough, one Mavis tire shop on Long Island siad that they used only Monroe Sensa-trac, the other shop in Westchester county, said that they used only KYBs !!!! The Monroes were problematic with many returns and disappointed customers. Go Figure - it's the same Chain store.

Two Subaru dealers gve me a price of $1500 !!!!! to replace 4 Struts with OEM Subaru Struts. They did NOT indicate that it would include springs or other strut parts. Both had Labor at $750 !!! Crazy.

Two Subaru dealers gve me a price of $1500 !!!!! to replace 4 Struts with OEM Subaru Struts. They did NOT indicate that it would include springs or other strut parts. Both had Labor at $750 !!! Crazy.

That is crazy! I paid less for my headgaskets & clutch job. DIY my stuts/springs took me ~6hrs while dicking around... and that includes running to home depot for a tool.

They're OEM parts from the 2013 Subaru Legacy 3.6R. Try subarupartswharehouse.com , sometimes they have good prices. rockauto is another one, as is tirerack for the struts.

Just ask about labor if they're going to upcharge the parts so much. It's not that much of a hassle to order them in yourself, and we'd make sure you're order the right stuff if you'd like.

It's crazy, but when you do the numbers it adds up quick, unfortunately.

Anytime I've had dealers do work on my car, I generally pay at least $10 over msrp on parts. But assuming the dealer charges msrp for parts..

Front Right/Left Strut - $150 each, $300 Total.

Front strut mounts, if the dealer wants to replace them - $70 each, $140 Total.

Rear Right/Left Strut - $130 each, $260 total.

Rear strut mounts, if the dealer wants to replace them - $80 each, $160 total.

Struts alone - $560. With new strut mounts, $860.

I think in CT dealer labor rates are $120 an hour, not sure what new york is. I think book time is 1hr per wheel to do struts, so 4hrs x $120 = $480.

Struts alone installed $1040, with strut mounts $1340. I think an alignment costs 1hr of labor, so add $120.

Total cost $1260 aligned without new strut mounts, $1460 aligned with new strut mounts. Then you factor in tax, shop fees, and any lock nuts or bolts they want to replace, I could see it being around $1500 with new strut mounts.

It really stinks. That's why I decided to DIY on my legacy, even though I was nervous about doing it for the first time, since springs/struts can be dangerous to work with.

It's crazy, but when you do the numbers it adds up quick, unfortunately.

Anytime I've had dealers do work on my car, I generally pay at least $10 over msrp on parts. But assuming the dealer charges msrp for parts..

Front Right/Left Strut - $150 each, $300 Total.

Front strut mounts, if the dealer wants to replace them - $70 each, $140 Total.

Rear Right/Left Strut - $130 each, $260 total.

Rear strut mounts, if the dealer wants to replace them - $80 each, $160 total.

Struts alone - $560. With new strut mounts, $860.

I think in CT dealer labor rates are $120 an hour, not sure what new york is. I think book time is 1hr per wheel to do struts, so 4hrs x $120 = $480.

Struts alone installed $1040, with strut mounts $1340. I think an alignment costs 1hr of labor, so add $120.

Total cost $1260 aligned without new strut mounts, $1460 aligned with new strut mounts. Then you factor in tax, shop fees, and any lock nuts or bolts they want to replace, I could see it being around $1500 with new strut mounts.

It really stinks. That's why I decided to DIY on my legacy, even though I was nervous about doing it for the first time, since springs/struts can be dangerous to work with.

Wut?!?!? shop around bro. I spent less than 250 shipped for all four KYB struts not six months ago. then I paid about 120 for 2013 springs shipped. then I paid 80 at the dealer for an alignment. It's really important to look up parts prices; don't just accept what the stealership tells you it costs.

There is no reason to pay $10 over msrp for parts... the internet does exist; shop around.

Don't just accept it if the dealer wants to replace stuff, strut mounts are a wear part sure, but mine are fine with over 150k on them. Even so, they're 25 on rockauto.

If I did my suspension again with a lift and the correct tools, I'd be shocked if it took me even four hours. It could easily be much less for someone who's worked on Subarus before.

The fact of the matter is, if you are willing to spend 15-30 minutes on the phone you can spend hundreds or even thousands.

I agree with what you're saying, but let me clarify. I was saying I can understand how the dealer reached their estimate of $1520.

Sometimes dealerships do have alignment specials, really depends on what kind of sales the service department has going on.

With regard to paying at least $10 over msrp for parts, here's what I mean. If you take your car to the dealership and ask them to replace all four of your struts, after the work has been done on your car and you look at the receipt, chances are all of the parts prices will be higher than Subaru's MSRP.

As far as how long it takes the job done, it's true someone with a lot of experience and the right equipment can probably get the job done real fast. That doesn't matter at the dealership though, you pay their book time no matter how long it takes the tech to finish the job, and I think Subaru says 1 hour to replace each strut.

When I replaced all four of my struts, I went with 4 kyb excel g's, oem front strut mounts, and kyb rear strut mounts. I forget how much the total cost for parts was, but I wanna say it was between $300-$400 for everything.

I wonder if your prices are so different because you have an 09?

Also labor costs are much better at a good local shop, and with something as simple as a strut replacement I wouldn't worry too much about them messing it up.

Prices on parts tend to fluctuate a bit on amazon and other retailers just due to incentives and sales. The 09 has basically the same parts as 10+. I found a whole set of struts/shocks for our Tribeca on amazon for around $275 plus shipping. Again not much difference in the parts with a legacy either. So if you aren't in a rush shop around and set up alerts for sales or specials.

The parts prices I mentioned before of $150 for front struts, and $130 for rear struts are for a 2010 legacy from parts.subaru.com. OEM parts are just expensive.

http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2010_Legacy25L-CVT-4WDPremium-Sedan/_54106_6025246/FRONT-SHOCK-ABSORBER/B14-210-01.html

http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2010_Legacy25L-CVT-4WDPremium-Sedan/_54106_6029004/REAR-SHOCK-ABSORBER/B14-211-01.html

At rockauto.com the rear struts are 51.79 each. fronts are out of stock.

Fronts are 66.26 each on ebay.com

That would be ~240 for all four.

KYB makes the OEM equipment anyways, so it is likely that these are exactly the same.

Mavis Discount Tire , I know, I know.... when they did NY State Inspection - they "found" the 1 front strut and the 1 rear strut leaking. They Use KYB replacements: thier price installed is $300 for the 2 fronts and $330 for the 2 rears Plus Taxes and Plus an Alignment. So about $750 OTD . Better than $1520. I may just bring it to Subbie Dealer for a check up - and I want to see if they find the same thing.

Mavis Discount Tire , I know, I know.... when they did NY State Inspection - they "found" the 1 front strut and the 1 rear strut leaking. They Use KYB replacements: thier price installed is $300 for the 2 fronts and $330 for the 2 rears Plus Taxes and Plus an Alignment. So about $750 OTD . Better than $1520. I may just bring it to Subbie Dealer for a check up - and I want to see if they find the same thing.

That is much more reasonable! Although it also reminds me why I did it myself...

• 1 month later...
...and with something as simple as a strut replacement I wouldn't worry too much about them messing it up.

(Sorry if I'm late to the party & you've already had Mavis do your strut work.)

Really? I'm through with allowing Mavis (in Nanuet, NY) to do any work on any car I own other than buy tires from them. We had a 97 Acura CL 3.0 that my wife allowed Mavis to replace the front struts. The car was never the same afterwards. They screwed up the ball joints & had to replace one gratis. The other ball joint collapsed on my driveway. Then on the same car, a worker doing an oil change, cross-threaded the drain plug. That was the beginning of the end for that car & Mavis. I've also lost count of how many times their workers have left the lug nuts loose on different cars. Beware! OTOH, if the Acura hadn't been so screwed up, I wouldn't have my 14 legacy now.

Archived