LegacyGT.com

Outback to get turbo too

The following came from thecarconnection.com: "Subaru of America confirmed today it will debut its 2005 Outback at the Chicago Auto Show next week and include a 250-hp turbo version to boot. The Legacy-based vehicle will join Subie's stable of trucks when it goes on sale later this year. Subaru went for the truck classification on the next Outback because of its load of SUV features. Environmentalists disagree, saying that Subaru likes the Outback wearing the truck label because it allows the Japanese automaker to evade tougher EPA car fuel-economy standards."

The fact of the matter is that AWD is bad for gas milage, probably 1-2mpg average would be my estimate. Environmentalists should concentrate on the sub 20 mpg SUV's and compliment Subaru for building an alternative that at least gets ~25 mpg. Having said that Subaru needs to be careful, a lot of their buyers are intelligent environmentally minded types, here in California at least (cat-less exhaust WRX crowd excluded).

But the GT is classified as a car and will at best have only marginally better mileage due to the lower ride height. If it were for mileage reasons, I don't think it would affect their corporate average either as they have no high-mileage cars to offset. I would assume that the STI also would get worse mileage than the Outback turbo and that's classified as a car. There's no way either way that Subaru can met CAFE for cars as at best some of them just barely make the average on highway. Steve

Its more likely the opposite. They take this decent car and its car safety features and car mileage and turn it into an SUV class. Suddenly its at the top of the SUV mileage and safety ratings lists.... Good marketing possibilities.

Personally I think considering the majority of the clientel of the Outback, the H6 is the better selection. I'm also wondering why the OB Sedan still lives as it appears an oxymoron to me, a sedan, but marketed towards SUV crowd which likes the space for utility of hauling stuff. Just a bit off in my book. I rarely see OB sedans and the ones I do are the H6's. It would appear a 3.0R Legacy Sedan could take care of that desire for a sedan and a 6-cyl engine. That's just my observation and opinion. Does anyone have sales figures of Outback Sedans versus Wagons? Would be an interesting thing to compare.

I know my mom sold an E430 for an Outback Wagon because her aging knees prefered the entry height and seating position. She absolutely prefers the maintenance costs. She didn't buy an SUV because it didn't feel drivable to her in a busy parking lot.

[quote name='evolutionmovement']But the GT is classified as a car and will at best have only marginally better mileage due to the lower ride height. If it were for mileage reasons, I don't think it would affect their corporate average either as they have no high-mileage cars to offset. I would assume that the STI also would get worse mileage than the Outback turbo and that's classified as a car. There's no way either way that Subaru can met CAFE for cars as at best some of them just barely make the average on highway. Steve[/quote] Steve, "trucks" also count against a manufacturer's CAFE. Having the Outback classified as a truck will mean Subaru will receive credits from CAFE rather than penalties. Trucks only need to meet an average fuel economy of 21 or 22 mpg (I can't remember which), whereas passenger vehicles must meet the more stringent 28 mpg average. Because Subaru's "trucks" exceed the lower average, Subaru will receive CAFE credits to offset some of their less efficient passenger vehicles (eg STi, XT) which don't meet the higher passenger vehicle average. Pretty much EVERY single auto manufacturer out there has been taking advantage of this loophole for years. Subaru has been squeaking by, but now with the introduction of more turbo models, they had to cave in and follow the herd. I'm sure it was a tough decision and I'm equally sure they knew they'd take a PR hit from the Enviro. crowd. But it was a necessary step in their evolution toward being a performance/premium player.

An interesting note was made on 'the other board' that considering a sizeable portion of the Subaru crowd lives or plays at higher elevations, where the OB is rather popular, the Turbo engine may have been asked for and will probably perform better at the upper elevations. Could be good reasoning I guess for H6 and H4T as I never thought of that angle. Okay, thats one out the window. Still, why do they need an Outback Sedan. :lol:

I'm doubting that there will be an OB sedan any more. A sedan "truck" would be pretty silly. I will be frustrated with Subaru if they offer a 2.5T and 3.0 in the OB but not in the Legacy. It would show that they (SoA) are sticking with the OB as it's main focus car in the US since that's what really saved them it seems, and in doing so, the Legacy may not have be given a fair shake to be all that it could be (re: options not going to be available in Legacy). I'll believe the 2.5T option in the OB when I see it. Maybe I just don't WANT to believe it right now.

If they can offer monotone (which looks a hell of a lot better IMO) for 04, why can't they for 05? Or is that just the official OB scheme they love to show. It's totally last weeks deal unfortunately and they appear to have a hard time moving forward. The monotone OBs look a step up just from the change in paint style alone.

Archived