LegacyGT.com

RCE Tarmac 1 vs. KW Variants Coilovers - Which to buy?

YN-TGL

Replacing my 4 year old BC Racing coilovers which are clunking and creaking and driving me crazy, not to mention the fact that they ride like shit.

I want to get a "real" set of coilovers, the RCE's are a little more expensive and seem to be pretty legit. I know the KW's have a pretty good track record and a good ride.

These will be primarily for street use, very limited track time (if any), mostly I just want that slammed look while still trying to maintain some comfort.

Can anybody with some experience help me decide between these two options?

TIA!

Tarmac 1's are the way to go. My car is pretty slammed and it still rides amazing. I'm not exagerating whatsoever. I couldn't believe the comfort of the ride at that low. Not to mention they are stainless steel and wont corrode in the winter.

If you're not tracking the car, I don't think you'll notice the difference between the KW and RCE's. I went from BC BR 6k/8k's to RCE T1 7k's. The difference was night and day. BC's were great for the price, but I love the Tarmacs. I upgraded to 9k springs recently, and they are still more comfortable than the BC's.

Thanks for the responses guys. Can someone give me a 10 cent explanation of spring rates and what the numbers represent?

Like my BCs have 6k/8k spring rates. So that's 6k front, 8k rear, correct? What does the number mean, and is a higher number a softer or stiffer spring?

Sorry for the n00b question. TIA

Thanks for the responses guys. Can someone give me a 10 cent explanation of spring rates and what the numbers represent?

Like my BCs have 6k/8k spring rates. So that's 6k front, 8k rear, correct? What does the number mean, and is a higher number a softer or stiffer spring?

Sorry for the n00b question. TIA

Higher spring rate means it takes more effort to compress the spring. Or in laymans terms, a stiffer spring. Like let's say you're going up in spring rate. That would be going from 6k/8k to 7k/9k.

higher spring rates = stiffer springs

But higher spring rates doesn't mean harsher ride. The dampening contributes more to how hard the ride is. That is where the KW's and RCE's shine over BC's or Megans.

Mine don't. Are you sure about that?

Take a pic of the rear if you could please. I don't want to be spouting off the wrong info. But from what I remembered in the past, the rear springs were progressive.

edit: The rear spring pictured in this link looks like a progressive and not a linear spring to me. Someone correct me if im wrong. Thanks!

http://kw-store.com/products/complete-coilover-kit/kw-coilover-kit-v2/kw-coilover-kit-v2-03-subaru-legacy.html

editv2: This thread has all the differences listed. Lighter, linear race springs, aggressive valving, etc.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/racecomp-engineering-tarmac-1-coilovers-70040.html

If getting RCE Tarmacs should one get the spec B top-hats or go with camber plates?

If street driven but frustrated by under-steer?

Don't get camber plates for a street driven car. That will just eat up your tires faster, and won't be as comfortable.

To address understeer, I would recommend either a 22mm fsb/25mm rsb setup with 7k/7k. Or if you want to help the car turn more, try special ordering a 6k/8k setup.

I have a 22fsb/25rsb setup right now with 9k/9k, understeer is minimal.

If you want the car to turn like a RWD car, you could look into a 35/65 center diff.

Yeah i'm going for the 6 speed swap some day so that will come then (not really cause i want 6 gears but because i'm building the power side of the car now and to have ppg gears and a helical front diff installed costs about 1.5 times what just swapping to the 6 speed does and has more gear whine.)

I'm not really looking for it to turn like an rwd car i love AWD and that's why i got it. I'd just like it to turn in a little better while off throttle. Basically i want the car to rotate into the turn and straighten out when i get on the throttle to exit.

Who makes a 25mm rear bar?

Archived