LegacyGT.com

picked up my car...a little upset. some pics

bama16

picked up my car friday, they have a guarantee against workmanship...they are closed on the weekend, will be getting a call first thing tomorrow morning....i had no idea specific instructions would have to be given in order for a repair to be done properly.

i pointed this out, you can see the waive in the street line and truck bed, not too bad but noticable distortion to the reflection when approacing the car. was not like this before the guy hit me

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/bama16/PB080012-1.jpg

i was told it was going to be disassembled...here is a line where they taped it and there is compound stuck in the tape ledge

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/bama16/PB080001.jpg

taped off a piece that takes 5 seconds to remove..paint on the plastic and quit painting at the edge so it's rough paint.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/bama16/PB080002.jpg

compound/primer all in the door jamb...they may have painted over this...i rubbed it and it's not coming off.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/bama16/PB080008.jpg

ckoudy portion is the rocker area right behind the fender with the door open, too lazy to remove it with the few plastic cllips, clearcoat/paint stopped because the door was shut and just kinds faded out and is rough.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/bama16/PB080009.jpg

the reflection is wavy, you can see the dips directly below the mirror, these are areas i pointed out when looking at the car...it's stress from where the mirror took the blow.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/bama16/PB080004.jpg

theres more too....i'm pissed to say the least....cause it was perfect before the guy hit me. is this what you expect from work performed to industry standard? i will say the metallic was laid down nice and color match is really nice.

undamaged pass side reflection as a reference.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/bama16/PB080006.jpg

Although not unusual (most people don't notice mistakes) it was def done sloppy. I used to paint prep in a couple shops and they would get complaints and fix them every so often. Would usually stop all current work and fix their mistake first. What sucks about your problems is you have to redo a lot of it.

Just tell them what's up and that you want it fixed and they shouldn't give any issue. Any decent job will make your car perfect like the way it was. Which shop did you go to?

That job is not the best. This is why body shops prefer to replace parts instead of fixing them. Less trouble and it will come out perfect. That color shows every imperfection as well.

GL

X

---

Such is the trouble with being an enthusiast and/or perfectionist. 99% of car owners would rave about the wonderful job they did. Most people have no eye for details. Most shops will then adjust the quality of their work downward as this saves them money. Removing parts isn't always they best thing either as most likely the paint will get violated during removal or installation of said part (it started under the bumper cover of our Outback after the cover was removed twice to be refinished from very minor rearend skirmishes with the asshats of the motoring world). Rust will then form at this point. Most of the time a car will never be as good as it was originally before a body repair was made to it. I have found that the easiest way to spot previous body damage is to look for signs of a poor masking job on trim pieces...that will always give away a subpar job. I'm not painting everyone with the same spray gun, but a lot of these hacks deserve to go out of business.
It is still ugly.

i hopefully pick it up here soon....well see how it turns out...i'm gonna give them a chance to fix it before i post a shop name. i agree there was very little time put into it. if they would have simply removed the panel and painted and then installed it would have come out much nicer....the door is sloppy...i don't even think it was blocked. it was a convetional repair, they may have done some dent pulling but it was painted.

picked it up friday, still upset...it appears that they can't complete the joh properly.

this is the undamaged pass side door.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/bama16/021.jpg

here is the second attempt at fixing the driver side. apparently blocking is not something they do.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/bama16/022.jpg

what do you think i should do at this point....give them a third go at fixing it?

One question, who is paying for the damage? Insurance or out of pocket. If it is a preferred insurance body shop, then maybe complaining tot he insurance company about the bad performance may give them an incentive to do better work.

I do not think they did any repainting or blocking, they probably just simply did a wet sand and buff job. Can you take a side view picture of the car from further away?

I say body shops only get one time to do it right after the complain. If they do not meet your expectations after you complained, it is not going to get any better. Mind you that any door that has filler on it is ever going to look like new again. Only thing to do is to replace the door skin.

GL

X

---

yeah...the other guys ins. is paying. the ins rep is in house. i have talked to him and he told me he was not buying me a shell and if it couldn't be repaired with conventional methods, then the body tech should have told him it needed a shell. it was repaired and painted. he then started to tell me my car has dents all over and he doesn't understand what i want....which there is 1 on the whole damn car and it's goin to my pdr guy in the next week. i sent these pics in an email, and if he still refuses to fix i will go higher. he told me the body shop has done a lot to make me happy....i told him it doesn't matter how much they do if each job done is subpar. it was a lot of back and forth...which i don't understand...cause anyone who isn't blind can see this isnt even close to the condition of the pass door. now i'm not unreasonable, hell...i'm at the point where i'll buy the shell if they paint it....should i accept this work? the only thing that drives me crazy is i am fairly meticulous when i comes to my cars....and this wavy area drives me insane every time i approach the car...and the condition before the accident was perfect.

How about contacting your insurance and see what they have to say? Maybe they have some good advice.

That color is a hard one to hide imperfections as well. I can most definitely tell you they did not do any repainting the second time around. Just wet sand and buffed. It looks just like the first time.

X

---

my biggest thing is i don't want to be unreasonable, but i just don't feel that there should be any compromise with the appearance of my car, esp since the accident wasn't my fault, and i am going with the other guys ins and their shop. they definately painted, there is clear over the small imperfection in the door bumper that wasn't there before...and the ripples extend further back, which i think is due to the high build primer and a crappy job at blocking. the reflection is still crappy but that one indent directly below the mirror is gone. i will take a pic from further out today...from the side it looks fine though....but the side looks like this...i mean...i now have a tarnished carfax report and will share this repair with potential future buyers. is it unreasonable to think that they should take the necessary steps to insure the car looks as good after the accident as it did before...or is it just generally accepted that after a small accident the residual affects of the accident are inevitable. i mean a shell is 400 bux, after labor on the current door your not too far off, granted the door needs to be assembled....to call for a door from the beginning would ensure a no additional trips would need be made.

Personally, I would not settle. If I was still unsatisfied with the job and the other insurance company refused to correct the issue, I would simply go to my insurance and file a claim. Let the lawyers fight it out. It should have been perfect the _first_ time.

I had to get some body work done recently, and when i picked up the car, it was 99% perfect. The only problem was they got some tar or something like it on my seats. I complained, and then I watched as the service advisor manager came out to re-detail the inside of my car.

My buddy recently had some work done on his expensive import, and again they did a wonderful job... but left some buffing compound in a couple of places.

I can see how some of these small details could slip, the type of detail that takes 10 minutes to fix (e.g. clean up). But it seems to me, they just did the work on the cheap instead of doing it right.

I assume by "shell" you mean a whole new door and not just a skin. I don't mean to jinx you, but besides being a perfectionist I am also a pessimist, and have had a few occassions where I should have left well enough alone and later regretted it.

You are now opening it up to have them bork something else like the window, door card, running into your car with another one in the shop, etc.

Besides inspecting the paint work, you will also have to make sure of the window fit, condition & function, door card fit and appearance, door latch and lock mechanism function, fit of the door in the body shell, fit of the window and door against the weatherstripping...what am I forgetting?

Good luck. It sucks caring about your car...I wish I could be like the average person and view my car as an appliance.

It is still ugly.

yeah, they are doing more than a skin....whole shell from subaru...as long as the paint and body are good i can do the rest...hell...if i felt like it i could do paint and body...but being it wasn't my fault i don't feel the need. the shell's comin from subie, so theoretically it's not too different than when the door that's on there now was fitted and assembled. i hear you on the appliance.....if i were the same i would let this repair ride..

• 3 weeks later...
just picked up for the third time.. i will have pics in the morning. i will say this time i am happy....door was replaced and i gave detailed instructions on how i wanted things done. on the way home i noticed my tint was messed up....but that is the least of my worries after all this.

Archived