LegacyGT.com

How terrible of an idea would this be?

So after some perusing of the local classifieds I found a JDM EZ30D 3.0R Spec.B engine and 6-speed gearbox for sale. How much of a nightmare would it be to swap into say a 2005 2.5i? I totally don't have the cash to do it at the moment but I'm genuinely curious.

The ad: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-engines-and-engine-parts/calgary/jdm-subaru-ez30d-3-0r-h6-avcs-engine-6-speed-tranny-03-09/1026122945?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Seems like it comes with complete wiring and ECU as well.

This is a swap I have wondered about for as long as I have had my Legacy. The chain driven cams are a plus, compared to the belt on other engines. Having another half liter of displacement would be cool.

Details I wonder about are engine and transmission mounts, radiator capacity, harness connector compatibility and various hose connections.

More of a nightmare than you are ready for. It is not so much stuffing it into the car, but getting the electronics to work. Not worth it unless you have 20K laying around to spend on the right people that 'may' get it to work!
---

Another thing to consider is the EZ30D is much cheaper than $4k at you local salvage. There area handful of documented H6 swaps on http://www.rs25.com all have their unique issues all of which are electronic in nature mostly bc they swapped a EG33 into a OBII car.

Still as a "dream car" idea I think a H6 MT BL would be mine.

Find an EZ30 R motor with any trans for much cheaper than 4K at my local salvage.

Find an EZ30 R motor with any trans for much cheaper than 4K at my local salvage.

Keep in mind that $4k CAD is $2875 USD at the current exchange rate. With a 6-speed, complete wiring, and ECU included I'd say that's pretty good. The JDM engines tend to have pretty low kms too.

Archived