LegacyGT.com

Thought's on buying rims+summer tires

So here's a link to the posting: http://cincyscoobs.com/showthread.php/2841-Fs-or-ft-17x7-5-rays-gramlights

Here's my dilemma. I need new tires, as I don't want to burn up my diffs and my current tires are mismatched. I'd like to run A/S's year round; I'm not interested in having a summer set and a winter set, as I don't want to invest that much money in rubber/rims. But this is a really good deal on rims/tires, and it could hold me over for awhile.

Should I buy these, sell the summer tires, some of my stock rims (I'd like to keep (1) as a full size spare), and wrap the new rims with Conti DWS's?

OR

Not buy, and just wrap the OEM rims with the Conti DWS's?

Cheapest way out sounds like DWS's on the stock wheels.

I happen to like the stock 5 spoke wheels.

That's what I'm thinking. If I could get $300-$400 for the summer tires, and around $100 per OEM rim, I could probably swing it. Chances of that happening in a reasonable amount of time is pretty slim.

I also happen to like the OEM 5-spokes, and the Rays are only 17x7.5" so the stance is pretty much identical. It's just such a good deal that it's hard to pass.

Ok so I logged in.

Nice wheels, not to bad of a price either, How much tread is left on the tires ?

The tires are about $420.00 bucks, the wheels ...well $$$$.

I enjoyed those tires when I had them, but yes, they are summer only's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Ok so I logged in.

Nice wheels, not to bad of a price either, How much tread is left on the tires ?

The tires are about $420.00 bucks, the wheels ...well $$$$.

I enjoyed those tires when I had them, but yes, they are summer only's.

Not sure how much the tread depth is- I was going to verify in person before buying.

I looked the tires up on tirerack, and they were about $200 per tire. Did you mean they are worth roughly that much, or tirerack is just that overpriced?

I think the smart option is to just wrap my OEM's with Conti's. Now to find good deal on tires, installation, and alignment.

Mine were the 101's from 2006. got 4 summers out of them. I know the Star Spec's are great, my son had them on his R32.

I also got my DWS's from tire rack hard to best they price.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Why would you bother? The grip difference between a/s and summer tires is moot. Too much body roll?

I have a set of a/s and snow tires. I went steel rims. Summer tires in snow is just dangerous and planning for the right time to change is too much work.

I'd avoid doing anything but buying a good set of A/S tires. I wanted to try the DWS tires but I've read a lot about the sidewalls being weak and soft.

I'd avoid doing anything but buying a good set of A/S tires.

I've decided that this is the route I'm going to go.

I wanted to try the DWS tires but I've read a lot about the sidewalls being weak and soft.

Interesting point. After installing sways I noticed that my current DWS's have a decent amount of sidewall flex. Any suggestions toward a different set?

To stop the side walls from flexing so much just run them at a higher air pressure.

I think mine are at 40psi. could be 37, I'll have to check some day and see what the side wall looks like at the different pressures.

One day back in early Dec while on a chair lift and ski buddy said the new snowtires and his Audi S7 felt like the sidewall flexed to much. I told him the increase the air pressure by 5psi. Next weekend he said that worked great.

rob-2, I also like the DWS's so I don't have to run the snows to long. Took the snows off the wagon last week.

To stop the side walls from flexing so much just run them at a higher air pressure.

I think mine are at 40psi. could be 37, I'll have to check some day and see what the side wall looks like at the different pressures.

One day back in early Dec while on a chair lift and ski buddy said the new snowtires and his Audi S7 felt like the sidewall flexed to much. I told him the increase the air pressure by 5psi. Next weekend he said that worked great.

rob-2, I also like the DWS's so I don't have to run the snows to long. Took the snows off the wagon last week.

After doing more digging I can't find any other A/S that I would trust- it seems like the most highly recommended tire is the DWS. I'll try running at 40psi and see how that feels. The only other way to combat that is to switch to an 18" rim, which I won't be doing for awhile.

I think you've seen my wagon with the Spec B 18's on it, they have 225/45 the car rides nice but for some reason I think the mpg has gone down.

I'll put the 17's DWS's back on the wagon in a few weeks.

I've decided that this is the route I'm going to go.

Interesting point. After installing sways I noticed that my current DWS's have a decent amount of sidewall flex. Any suggestions toward a different set?

My thing is I don't trust all seasons in snow. DWS might be the exception, but I've never found an A/S tire that is really good in snow. All are far from a compromise.

How does the tread wear? This normally promotes center wear :(

Many people complain about soft snow tires, but it's rarely the side wall, it's almost always the high tread flexing.

Archived