LegacyGT.com

blinking lights, taillights on, loss of power, radio screen dims only with headlights

hey everyone, I am a new subaru owner. I just recently bought a 2014 legacy premium 2.5i automatic. Been a great car the last few months and I love it so far. I have a very very very odd situation that I am hoping someone can help out with. I am actually very technical, can figure out most anything, work on anything, etc. So heres the deal...

A few nights ago with headlights on, pulling into my driveway the center traction control light and the flashing brake light came on. I shut the car off and restarted it and it went away. The next day I drove 250 miles on a trip during the day and the car ran perfectly fine except for I noticed that when I would hit the brakes the radio screen would dim. Last night I went out, with the headlights on, within minutes the 2 lights started flashing. Two times I had a loss of power and had to turn the car off and back on to get it to run. Later on I noticed that my brake lights were on continuously. If I restart the car the blinking lights will go away for a few minutes then come back on. I also noticed because the brake lights are on the cruise control won't work. If I shut the headlights off or drive during the day everything seems to work fine except for the dimming screen. When I hit the brakes and the radio screen dims I also hear a click sound from below the gear shifter. I drove home today 250 miles and everything was the same, only the dim screen when braking.

Seems really really odd that this stuff for the most part is only happening when the headlights are on. Im hoping somebody may know about this or have an idea of where to look. In the morning I was going to run the headlights, get the blinking lights to come on, and go hook a scanner up to it.

Thanks everyone and I hope someone may know.

Check the battery voltage while running, positive terminal to ground to see what your getting. Mine was something like 18v and the car's electrics were all freaking out from the radio to the auto trans shift lock. Replacing the alternator fixed it.

so I went to subaru, told them everything it was doing and the service guy thought possibly the brake light switch. I got a new one, hooked the wires up and it did not change anything. Checked voltages, 14.3 running and 12.8 or so with engine off, 11v or so while starting so alternator and battery seems fine. Checked every fuse and relay and all seem good. Unplugged the battery for 15 minutes or so and everything seems to be ok now except for one thing... The center brake light now works only when the brakes are applied so that is correct, but when the brakes are pushed the taillights are not changing to brake lights. I bought 4 new bulbs and will try that tomorrow. Really weird...

Well after the fuse checking and unplugging the battery, everything was fine except for the brake lights. Found both brake bulbs bad. The old ones didn't have a broken filament, but they wouldn't light up for brakes. Replaced both bulbs and everything works correctly.

Archived