LegacyGT.com

Burning Rubber Smell

Recently the car has started to smell like burning rubber right after it comes to a stop and sits for a second or two. It's hard to tell if it smells while driving, but it definitely smells when you come to a stop or park the car. I can't see anything burning and there is no smoke, but it stinks pretty good.

I recently test drove an 06, same thing. Parked the car after a 20min drive, got out smelled burning. At first though maybe I was rougher on the clutch than I thought (popped the clutch and took off... Lol) then realized that wasn't it pulled the dipstick and no oil! There was just enough to Splash everything, but not enough to touch the dipstick after sitting 15min. You'd think if a dealer wanted to sell a car they'd look at stuff like that. Needless to say I didn't buy the car. I doubt your problem is the same, but I would look just to be sure.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest PeteAWD
Yes, when the front axle boots leak, the grease is spun upon the exhaust down pipe. You or your tech must clean the pipe with brake clean. Then you must get lemon Pine Sol and pour it in your cowl vent and run the blower while rinsing. Also, you must change the cabin air filter if your vehicle is so equipped. If you do not do this, you might have to repeat it, you'll have that lingering smell. Pete

Guest PeteAWD
(Correction) If you repeat the process with the lemon Pine Sol it will be more effective. If you do not clean the cowl vents the smell will linger. I've been through it.

(Correction) If you repeat the process with the lemon Pine Sol it will be more effective. If you do not clean the cowl vents the smell will linger. I've been through it.

Just be aware that some people are allergic to lemons, oranges and so, so if you have any allergic friends that may be a bad idea and it's better to stick with the lingering smell.

453747.png

• 1 month later...
Just be aware that some people are allergic to lemons, oranges and so, so if you have any allergic friends that may be a bad idea and it's better to stick with the lingering smell.

A nice warning, no doubt. But there is no true citrus in Pine Sol. It's all chemicals and fragrances.

I got the smell too and it's smoking a little bit after I open the hood. Do you think it's the turbo or something because smoke was coming from that area. Also I have a inner boot clamp leak, not sure if that's why? Could it be just the right axle making this smell/smoke?

I had an inconsistent burning smell while moving but then couldnt smell it when stopped. I just changed my oil and the filter had a slow drip, which of course didnt make it to the ground due to the bellypan but I think while moving enough was getting tossed back to hit hot exhaust.

Archived