LegacyGT.com

Lowest Lowering Spring

newbie..

just bought a 08 legacy 2.5i. will keep everything stock for now, but wants to change just the coilspring with stock wheels. whats the lowest spring they have? checked out TEIN S tech front & back 1.5inch.. saw couple post SWIFT seems to be the lowest of them all, called local shop in LA that carry SWIFT told me swift only goes 1.2 front 1 rear.

any recommendation?

springs info: & PICS

THANKS THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Swifts drop a lot more than they claim....I had/have them and there was maybe half a finger gap up front

To compare, with my Cobb's I can squish my two little fingers one above the other between the top of the tire and the arch in the front.

Are the Tein S-Techs really crap? I was thinking about getting the Cobb ones, but in that pic there the S-techs look sweet compared to the Cobb. So which is better?

Honestly, we run around on the same streets and I can tell you right now that if the Leggy is your daily driver, either of these springs is the wrong choice. The streets suck here, period, and once the Cobb's are broken in they can be pretty harsh over bumps/potholes. The S-techs will be WAY worse in that regard. For a daily driven Leggy in this area, Eibach's are definitely your best bet.

thanks!!

captainhook: clean car, how low is COBB springs?

Thanks, I'm not positive of the final drop as they've broken in a bit since new. (2K miles on them now) I'll go out and measure for ya during lunch today.

newbie..

just bought a 08 legacy 2.5i. will keep everything stock for now, but wants to change just the coilspring with stock wheels. whats the lowest spring they have? checked out TEIN S tech front & back 1.5inch.. saw couple post SWIFT seems to be the lowest of them all, called local shop in LA that carry SWIFT told me swift only goes 1.2 front 1 rear.

any recommendation?

springs info: & PICS

THANKS THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it wont end well if you plan to lower the car over 1" using the stock struts. it will ride like crap and you will be hitting the bumpstop very often.

Honestly, we run around on the same streets and I can tell you right now that if the Leggy is your daily driver, either of these springs is the wrong choice. The streets suck here, period, and once the Cobb's are broken in they can be pretty harsh over bumps/potholes. The S-techs will be WAY worse in that regard. For a daily driven Leggy in this area, Eibach's are definitely your best bet.

How to the Eibach's look? Do they lower it much? My legacy is my daily driver, but if the Cobb's give more of a drop I might just go with them anyway and deal with the harsh ride lol. It may sound foolish to some, but sometimes I make sacrifices for looks lol.

.... but if the Cobb's give more of a drop I might just go with them anyway and deal with the harsh ride lol. It may sound foolish to some, but sometimes I make sacrifices for looks lol.

:eek: Don't do it. I got my car with Cobb springs on OEM struts. Rear is good but the front had no travel for the susp to work. Pretty much riding on the bump stops. Bad. Very bad. However, the cure was to insert spring boosters, two on each spring, between the coils and all is well for now. Those little rubber things made a world of difference in the ride and handling and it only raised the car back up a quarter of an inch. I will only recommend this as a temp fix until proper struts can be had.

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=329&pictureid=1774

I have tein s-tecks, with a 1/2" saggy butt spacer in the back. Car sits perfectly level now, and I love the stance. Ride is noticeably stiffer over stock, but I really dont mind it, I like the firm feal, and yes its my daily.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa100/MotoMax777/2005%20LGT/DSC_0085.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa100/MotoMax777/2005%20LGT/DSC_0032-1.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa100/MotoMax777/2005%20LGT/DSC_0007-1.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa100/MotoMax777/2005%20LGT/DSC_0026-1.jpg

:lol: @ the riceness of this thread

OP, don't be foolish. S-techs and Swifts are not the way to go on stock struts.

pay to play.

Completely agree....if you are going to lower the car significantly get the proper supporting mods or you are going to regret it

it wont end well if you plan to lower the car over 1" using the stock struts. it will ride like crap and you will be hitting the bumpstop very often.

I agree and disagree with this. It all depends on the roads you drive on. Out in the suburbs where I live the Cobb springs ride beautifully on the well paved and maintained roads. It's only once I drive through center city Allentown that they give me a hassle. In the 2000 miles on Cobb springs I've never bottomed out in the back and only hit the bumpstops in the front 4 times. The reason it's only happened a few times though, is because I consciously slow down where I know there are nasty dips and dodge the potholes I know exist. I've never hit the bumpstops on the highway or any decently paved road. With that said, if your driving is primarily urban or rough roads, I'd stick to a spring like Eibach with only a marginal drop. If you live+drive out where the roads are in good condition, the Cobb springs will be fine, just don't expect to get max life out of your struts. If you really have to have the "slammed" look, you're best off ponying up for some decent coilovers.

thanks!!

captainhook: how low is COBB springs?

Sorry it took me so long to get to this: Final drop after 2000 miles on Cobb springs: Front:1 1/2" Rear:5/8" Rear sits 1/8" higher than the front.

I had swifts on stock struts for nearly a year (how I bought the leggy) . After raising the ride with higher springs (IONS) I realized our travel challenged cars do not do well with such a low drop. Sure it looked kinda cool lowered but if you value handling like many of us here do then moderate lowering is the way to go.

Archived