LegacyGT.com

looking for a racing harness?

what is submarining??

Submarining is when the lap belt rides up and your hips/pelvis slides underneath throwing your lower body forward in a crash. 5,6, and 7 point harness prevent this by holding the lap belt in place. That is the sole purpose of the sub straps, to hold the lap belts in their proper position, not to stop the family jewels from sliding forwards. :lol: 4 point harnesses by design are flawed in that when the shoulder belts are properly tensioned, they pull upward on the lap belts which can pull them out of position and lead to submarining in a frontal crash.

Schroth makes 4 point harness with a feature called ASM. Its a stitch that gives way during a crash in one of the should belts which allows one should to move forwards and twist the torso. This slight give on the torso drives the pelvis down and back into the base of the seat preventing the submarine motion.

and FWIW, most harness manufactures don't consider a sub belt running over the front of the lower seat cushion a proper install, i.e. you need a hole in the seat to keep +/- 20* of the body line plane. With heated seats, that's not a quick mod by an upholstery shop like the Elise guys usually do. If I were to go with a 4 point harness to clip in for track events only (eye bolts in the floor), I would want it to have something like the Schroth ASM feature.

i have a 07 LGT, b spec

as for the submarining, i am not sure about this. if anything i would doubt the schroth website would admit to the harness having submarining

...but i think one thing about the harness setup is how you adjust your seat. i have my seat as low as it can go and substantial tilt back...from that i find that it wouldn't be idea for my seat setup, i do have the shoulder straps a little loose and not snugged as it should be. but i dont track so i guess it should be ok. the only thing i dont think is the best is the belt buckle, it sticks out much more than the passenger side, but the harness lap area can be adjusted so no big deal there. it would be the last picture.

i have had a 5 point harness before in another car, i liked that actually but i believe ontario laws dont allow 5 point harnesses - i heard 4 point is legal

07062009014.thumb.jpg.538302cd9f2cebecce3353d85ebd3712.jpg

07062009015.thumb.jpg.461d9d6c316fd1ba3f0680827eae6706.jpg

07062009016.thumb.jpg.8b4d6e1eb091827b8147dd365b585c29.jpg

07062009017.thumb.jpg.f2dd5b4f2b679bdf0e8385345355f807.jpg

07062009018.thumb.jpg.253174210b101482c5189c037966f188.jpg

07062009019.thumb.jpg.ff44dafce1df316568ab25be41b9e7f9.jpg

07062009020.thumb.jpg.497fce8e8fad0ee9fba80a7130e09a43.jpg

... but i dont track so i guess it should be ok...

Then why do you need a harness?

i have had a 5 point harness before in another car, i liked that actually but i believe ontario laws dont allow 5 point harnesses - i heard 4 point is legal

You heard wrong. 4-point harnesses are not legal, at least not stateside. The old Viper ACR actually came with two sets of belts. A standard 3-point to drive on the street, and an "off road use only" harness for the track.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

i live in ontario - canada. i dont believe our harness laws would be the same. could be but i dont know for sure.

i bought the harness used, bored i guess.. probably be selling it as it rubs on my previously fractured collar bone (which healed unevenly) so it's not very comfortable for me

as for the submarining, i am not sure about this. if anything i would doubt the schroth website would admit to the harness having submarining

Surely they won't advertise a product will potentially do something dangerous in a crash, but if you read the description of the models that do come with ASM technology, it spells it out pretty clearly.

...but i think one thing about the harness setup is how you adjust your seat. i have my seat as low as it can go and substantial tilt back...from that i find that it wouldn't be idea for my seat setup, i do have the shoulder straps a little loose and not snugged as it should be. but i dont track so i guess it should be ok.
Your seat should be adjusted as vertical as possible when using a harness, another separation between racing and commuting. If you are not tracking your car, you've done yourself a disservice safety wise installing these belts for daily use, IMO. You've increased your likelyhood of neck injuries and nearly completely negated the effects of your primary airbag.

You heard wrong. 4-point harnesses are not legal, at least not stateside. The old Viper ACR actually came with two sets of belts. A standard 3-point to drive on the street, and an "off road use only" harness for the track.

Who's to say what is and isn't legal in Canada based on US DOT laws here. The primary reason many aftermarket belts are not DOT approved is the lack of an orange release button for emergency workers to easily identify during extrication. The Schroth 4 point systems designed to snap into factory cars have the orange release buttons for that very reason, and are, to my understanding, street legal. That's not to say you might still catch flac from an officer during a traffic stop for non-OEM safety equipment.

* Harnesses in a street car for street use is not a wise decision and is often done so for cosmetic modification reasons, IMO. Especially so when they defeat many OEM crash safety features of the car that the OEM carefully engineered and tested for the driver's safety. When properly installed and used, they can be a benefit on the track. /rant

• 7 months later...

Archived