LegacyGT.com

Would Subaru cover head gasket problems for an '08?

I've read on consumer blogs that Subarus built beyond the 2005 head gasket fix period can have a Subaru dealership cover the cost of any head gasket problems if you write to their Facebook page or call Subaru America. Curious if anyone here has had experience with this?

I purchased a used 2008 Legacy Limited which needs new head gaskets, as they're leaking trace amounts of oil over the block (I knew about this before the purchase, which was from a private party).

SOA prob wont help you out in this situation but it never hurts to try and contact them about it. You don't have much leverage to force their hand :( If you were the first owner with dealer records and low miles they might throw in reduced cost for labor and/or parts but nothing for free. If the car is out of warranty most if not all bets are off. SOA wont own up to bad engineering bad HGs, or bad oil passages :mad:

Limited 2.5i or GT? Heads on the EJ253 aren't terribly expensive to replace so I hope you got a good deal on the car to offset that cost ;) $1500-$2200 avg price. On a GT i have no idea as they dont fail as often

Limited 2.5i or GT? Heads on the EJ253 aren't terribly expensive to replace so I hope you got a good deal on the car to offset that cost ;) $1500-$2200 avg price. On a GT i have no idea as they dont fail as often

Was quoted $2400 OTD at a local dealership.

Subaru America called today and said there were playing phone tag with the dealership, so I'd have an answer tomorrow.

I would never get this serviced at the dealership, I can get these replaced WITH a new timing belt for $1400-$1900 at an extremely highly rated shop in downtown Portland. Probably closer to the latter, but at 60-80% of the cost it doesn't matter.

Wow, that's great. When I had to have the head gaskets replaced on mine at 90k miles the dealership said it'd see if Subaru was willing to do anything for me, but apparently not (unless they didn't even really ask).

Archived