LegacyGT.com

2014 Legacy 3.6R Limited

Goggs

Hello everyone,

I am in the market for a new car and have been driving a lot of V-6 sedans. I got to drive a 3.6R yesterday and really enjoyed it.

The issue is I got home and started reading about the car online and there were two issues that concerned me:

- Steering wheel shimmy

- Transmission issues

Reliability is a big deal to me and the last thing I want in a new car is to be taking it back to the dealer for warranty work.

Can any 3.6R owners speak to the validity of these issues? Thanks in advance!

Steering wheel shimmy problem is isolated to only some 2010 & 2011 Legacy's. I haven't really paid attention the 3.6R transmission complaints but its not transmission failures. Someone else can answer that question better for you.

All I can say is, I'm coming up on a year/and just turned 10k miles on my 3.6R Limited Legacy, and I've had zero complaints. Not a single hiccup at all. I'm starting to feel that the money I spent for the extended warranty might have been better spent someplace else...but at least I have piece of mind.

More so, it's a complete joy to drive! I looked around at all the $35k sedans on the market, and I couldn't come up with a better one to buy.

Good luck with your decision!

I just bought a 2014 3.6R two weeks ago and I have had zero steering wheel shimming. I dont know what kind of transmission issues you have but mine is butter smooth when shifting. Not like the CVT but smooth still. Honestly, I hate the CVT, it's not natural :)

I just bought a 2014 3.6R two weeks ago and I have had zero steering wheel shimming. I dont know what kind of transmission issues you have but mine is butter smooth when shifting. Not like the CVT but smooth still. Honestly, I hate the CVT, it's not natural :)

You're not natural. :rolleyes:

You haven't driven the 2014 Subaru Forester XT yet if you think CVT's are not "natural." FYI the CVT in the lower trim models of the 2013/14 isn't the same as the one used in the 2011 Legacy and Outback. A lot of buyers have already said they like the newer version of the CVT in the 2013 models.

Hello everyone,

I am in the market for a new car and have been driving a lot of V-6 sedans. I got to drive a 3.6R yesterday and really enjoyed it.

The issue is I got home and started reading about the car online and there were two issues that concerned me:

- Steering wheel shimmy

- Transmission issues

Reliability is a big deal to me and the last thing I want in a new car is to be taking it back to the dealer for warranty work.

Can any 3.6R owners speak to the validity of these issues? Thanks in advance!

3.6R gets the 5EAT strongbox, the same gearbox that they have ran across multiple models with varied duties and it is rare for a failure. The shimmy is a minor issue and I dont think its has been reported to be an issue on the 14' BMs.

i have a 2010 3.6R with 100k miles on it and i am just starting to get annoyed with my trans. It will occasionally downshift roughly when slowing down on an exit ramp after a while on the highway. It doesnt happen enough that i can replicate it. other than that, zero problems with the engine or trans.

OP:

1. The 3.6R does not have a CVT. It has a 5 speed automatic with manual mode.

2. I got my 2013 in June for $1900 below invoice.

Good luck!

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Archived