LegacyGT.com

Dunlop Z1 Vs Kumho XS

korntera

I have been looking through reviews on the XS, and it seems great, the Dunlop Z1 star spec however looks like it is tried and true. I am looking for a good track tire, not autocross, and something that is streetable in the rain if needed as I do live in Oregon. I don't drive hard on the street, i don't drive hard in the rain, only on the track and will probably get winter tires and wheels in the coming months. Being that the Kumho XS is only $10 cheaper should i go with them or the dunlops for my summer/track tire on my LGT?

PS stock tire size, suspension mods are F/R sways and rallitek springs with new struts coming in the next month or so. Stage 1 5EAT.

Hmm.. I am in the same predicament on what tires to choose. I have been looking at both that you mentioned as well as a few others. I need a different size than stock though, so the size that I want made me rule out the Dunlops since they are not available in the size I need. the XS is a lot cheaper than other tires in its class which is a plus, but then again there is that factor of "you usually get what you pay for".

anyway, I kind of wanted to subscribe to see what others had to say, I dont mean to threadjack.

I went with the Z1's I did have the previous Kumho that tire replaced and i liked it. The Z1's have been tested more on the streets and thats why I went with them.

well, the xs is new and much better than the old MX tires from what ive read.

the Z1 are alittle soft for performance applications when put on a harvy car like the LGT. the XS comes witha CL load rating whcih should gove a stiffer sidewall and better turn-in. As far as pure adhesion is concerned, its yet to be seen.

well, the xs is new and much better than the old MX tires from what ive read.

the Z1 are alittle soft for performance applications when put on a harvy car like the LGT. the XS comes witha CL load rating whcih should gove a stiffer sidewall and better turn-in. As far as pure adhesion is concerned, its yet to be seen.

the XS I know have a treadwear rating of 180 and the Z1's are 220, so the XS would be a little softer and maybe a little stickier when warmed up I would imagine.

the XS I know have a treadwear rating of 180 and the Z1's are 220, so the XS would be a little softer and maybe a little stickier when warmed up I would imagine.

from what i have read of your thread(looks like we are cross refrencing lol) and from reviews I have not read anything bad about the dunlops and so far i have read nothing but great reviews on the XS saying its better sticky wise but doesn't have as good of performance in the rain, however the only rain reviews are from random people here.

when i say softness, i refer to the stifness of the side wall, not the plyability of the tread rubber. Z1 have a soft side wall, whre XS have a stiffer sidewall.

when i say softness, i refer to the stifness of the side wall, not the plyability of the tread rubber. Z1 have a soft side wall, whre XS have a stiffer sidewall.

Do you know how the XS sidewall stiffness compares to RE070s from an STI?

stiff sidewalls will protect your rims better on crapy roads. but the ride will def be worse.

Not to mention they feel better in corners IMHO. I don't so much care about ride quality, after an STi with stiff suspension and then a 93 accord with no suspension and an r6 being hunched over the handle bars i don't think the sidewall comfort factor matters to much to me.

Do you know how the XS sidewall stiffness compares to RE070s from an STI?

load index for a 225/45/17 xs is 91w. the load ratin for a 225/45/17 re070 is 90w. so the XS is stiffer according to the load rating.

The z1 star specs are also 90w in that size.

The bridgestone re-11 in 225/45/17 is 94w and alot stiffer than the other three tires above.

I just slapped on my Z1s a few days ago, but so far I really like them. Haven't pushed them all that far but seem to stick really well. It rained the other day and they did well in that too.

I have R-compounds too, but will probably give the Z1s a few laps on the track to see how they do. I expect they'll do well.

Another benefit is my Z1s are 235/40/17 (on 8") while my Rs are a meager 225/45/17 (on 7.5")...when you measure them, the 225 Rs are a full 1 inch narrower than the Z1 235s. Knowing what I know now, I definitely would have gone with 8" rims and 235/40/17 for the R-compounds (was brand new to all this when I got the Rs).

Nice to see some more testing done on this latest batch of street touring tires. Grassroots Motorsports recent test showed the Kumho to be the fastest tire in the group.

I have a set of Z1's on my 2.5 RS which are awesome, but was thinking I would give the XS a shot as soon as I can burn up the RE92's. I do not think you can go wrong with either and they are much cheaper then either the RE11 or the AD08.

Just ordered my Kumho XS tires, I should have them on next tuesday and might have some initial impressions by the weekend depending on the other parts of the car getting worked on(brakes, transmission cooler, brake fluid, tranny fluid, rallitek springs and possibly cobb sways)

Just ordered my Kumho XS tires, I should have them on next tuesday and might have some initial impressions by the weekend depending on the other parts of the car getting worked on(brakes, transmission cooler, brake fluid, tranny fluid, rallitek springs and possibly cobb sways)

You should have a good setup by then, but you really will be in no position to review a tire with all the other mods. If you are doing sways get the A.V.O RSB mount reinforcement, I ran mine without it till i did endlinks without problems, but better safe than sorry.

I also cant really comment on my tires too much since I did a new passangers side hub and an alignment that was very needed when i got my alignment done so, that and all my new mods (too much to type look here http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112948 ) I cant talk either :lol:

Enjoy your car and post up a thread about the mods :)

You should have a good setup by then, but you really will be in no position to review a tire with all the other mods. If you are doing sways get the A.V.O RSB mount reinforcement, I ran mine without it till i did endlinks without problems, but better safe than sorry.

I also cant really comment on my tires too much since I did a new passangers side hub and an alignment that was very needed when i got my alignment done so, that and all my new mods (too much to type look here http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112948 ) I cant talk either :lol:

Enjoy your car and post up a thread about the mods :)

Well for the most part the mods minus the tranny cooler won't be on til about a week after the tires so i can get some initial impressions but yeah, once the springs go on(sway bars are still a month out) it will be a different vehicle. Not sure when the brakes are going on, could be the same day as the tires could be later so i won't be able to tell how much better the brakes are vs the tires. All I care about is how big the smile on my face is when the car starts to turn and stop like its supposed to... now on to the VB mod for my 5EAT so i can throw some power at it.

Well thats good that you are staggering the mods, nothing like tracking down a clunk or something after you threw a parts catalog at your car :lol:

BTW I am on just a trans cooler with a TDC stage 1 map and the trans is holding up fine, I also did Amsoil ATF as well. 90k and it still runs like a top.

Archived