LegacyGT.com

A/C not blowing cold

Hi I now I am a noob in here but i have a questions. Today during lunch I was going home and I had the a/c set at 75. But it did not feel like it was 75 blowing out. I know that as the car is moving that it will blow colder. But can someone tell me what it should be blowing out when the car is not moving and I have the a/c set at a colder temp then what it is outside.

when the car is running the ac pump is spinning at an higher rpm due to the attached belt.

when the AC doesnt cool enough anymore it needs filling or you have a leak

yust have it checked

rens

Typical A/C units in buildings are designed to have a supply air temperature of around 55 degrees. Mobile HVAC is a whole different beast though (airplanes, cars, ect).

With the dual climate controls in the Subaru, it is hard to tell what the supply air temperature setpoint should be without knowing the program. I am sure there is a PID controller in there and the A/C supply air setpoint would depend on what temp you want in the car and how different that is from the outdoor ambient temp.

Keep us posted with what you find out with the refrigerant levels.

Haven't messed with the Subie, so the dual climate system my change things, but for most typical cars you'd like to see in the mid 50s coming out of the center vent with controls set full cool, max fan, doors open, and idling 1200-1500 rpm. If you'r not seeing low 60s or cooler, you may be low on r-134 (the system only holds about a pound so any leakage really kills the performance) or the fan on the radiator may not be turning. If the radiator fan isn't running, you would probably get cool air when you were moving (due to air blowing in through the radiator keeping the AC condenser cool) but very little when you were stopped.

i know that with Honda the termister is set to kick off at 40 so that would make the temp out of the vents in the high 40's to low 50's. I got a cel on today but it has to do with the motor so the a/c is on the back burner till that gets fixed. but as soon as i have info i will be posting it. I didn't even think about the fact that i have dual climate in the car. But it don't think it should matter when I have both sides set to the same temp.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, I may have a similar problem with my car. I set the AC to the coldest setting which is 65 degrees.....but when I it take to 66 degrees it's warm as all heck. After maybe 20-30 minutes of continuous driving the AC finally kicks in for all the higher temperatures. Any Idea as to what the initial issue might be?

Don't mean to hijack the thread, I may have a similar problem with my car. I set the AC to the coldest setting which is 65 degrees.....but when I it take to 66 degrees it's warm as all heck. After maybe 20-30 minutes of continuous driving the AC finally kicks in for all the higher temperatures. Any Idea as to what the initial issue might be?

Same issue here. Mine becomes cold for a few seconds and then warm again and so on

• 9 years later...
I never use my AC in my 06 LGT, I kci kit on when it it hot on the highway about 10 times a year. I also do not daily the car. I also have herd subarus never get ice cold. they will keep you comfortable in the car. It's not supposed to be chilly.

I'm a little surprised that these car have a reputation for poor A/C systems, my '07 Spec B will freeze you out, coldest and quickest cooling car I've ever seen. And mines got 310k miles on it and the A/C has never been serviced.

My 05 sti had great ac even when visiting az, my last 05 obxt was able to keep up with the az heat on a visit, my current 05 obxt might as well not even have the ac on in stop and go traffic living in az and that’s with everything oem new besides the evaporator and having two different shops looking at it.

Somewhere on this board I read about a issue with the temp switch that sets the low temp limit. And there was mod to fix it/make it adjustable.

There is, but depending on your scenario it may or may not help. The temp switch in question is to prevent the evaporator from freezing up. so if your charge is right but your ac cycles from ice cold to musty warm frequently, you can wire in a potentiometer to change the threshold to try and taper off the cycling, rely on it too much then you will experience evaporator freez up and you won’t have any air

This is of course all assuming that your ac system is all functioning properly. The ac system is just a big heat exchanger.

Edited by blackobxt