LegacyGT.com

Code P0011 - is it ever something other then the turbo?

I recently got this code with the known check engine light & flashing cruise control. Got code and reset. Then I got code again about 4 days later.. but the dash lights flashing went away on their own. I've searched the forum and have listened intensly to the sound of the turbo, but it sounds fine - no noises or loss of power like other's report when the VF40 has died.

Are there other items that the P0011 code could be? (MY2005 outback XT - with stage1 accessport)

jdkobe

• 10 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Wow good searching.

But that is the recommended first step.

Or pull the OCV on the passeger side (bank1) and make sure it's clean. I would use Gunk motor flush a couple times a year and at 141,000 miles got the P0011 and P0021 CEL, my turbo lasted another 1000 miles. I had the banjo filter removed and oil changed when I got the codes.

You should listen to the turbo, if it begins to whine look at replacing it, if it begins to whistle, stop driving and replace it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I too had P0011 twice, last 2 years in a row. First year 2012, was a neglect on the OIC. (I dont dd her.) After doing the oil change with Rotella synthetic 5w-40 (good summer oil), just when I was about to do the OCI, P0011 came up. I changed to the 5W-30 Supertech synthetic and so far so good ever since last change.

Good deal. I found it easier to bolt the new turbo to the up pipe. I went to the dealer and got a hand full of bolts that hold the up pipe bracket to the block, worked great also get a new oil return hose.

Pictures in my click here link.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Code is to tell you that there is not enough oil pressure on the AVCS cam and the camshaft is over advanced. Most likely cause... blockage of the banjo filter that supplies oil to the passenger side OCV and the turbo. If you are very lucky it is just the OCV. If it is an obstruction in the filter, your turbo is on borrowed time too.

• 7 months later...

I got this code and my car was stumbling and running poorly. I changed both OC valves, the banjo bolt filter on passenger side, did another oil change and had a mechanic check the turbo and they said the shaft was still tight. I had to have my car towed to the mechanic because the car was stalling.

My car has been burning more oil lately as well so I am uncertain of what else to look for at this point.

Any suggestions?

Check the PCV make sure it rattles when you shake it. If its doesn't that can cause oil usage.

Have you ever replace the black o rings with the new larger orange ones at the intake manifold to TVG's ?

Clean the MAF sensor.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on this but replaced the MAF sensor, timing and drive belts, got fuel injection cleaned, and changed spark plugs.

Car ran well for about 250 miles and the same symptoms of stumbling and stalling at low idle have reoccurred.

One thing I've also noticed is if I go heavy on the throttle that when I let of gas to shift that the turbo really "pulls back" like either the BPV is not working correctly or the turbo is not getting oil.

Have 2 new camshaft sensors coming in the mail and will install this weekend. I cleaned the crank sensors and it looked brand new when I took it out and no different after cleaning.

Any thoughts if not the camshaft sensors? Dying here...

Archived