LegacyGT.com

replacing muffler + pipe

Yesterday I noticed an extra noise in my car. Today I feel reasonably confident I have an exhaust problem (will look under tomorrow). The most likely suspect seems to be everything past the cat ( because it is rusty). This seems to be a very simple repair in theory, but my car spent most of its life in Ohio so I assume the bolts are as rusty as the rest of the setup. Is this worth trying myself? I have a full set of basic tools (and some PB blaster :-P). Also, is there a gasket that goes in between the cat pipe and the pipe to the muffler? Seems like there should be...

• Moderators

On a '97 that has seen some salt, it's almost a sure bet that something will need to be cut off (rusty bolt, etc). But if you are going to try and replace everything past the cat, you should really only have a couple of bolts to worry about where the connection to the cat pipe is made. Everything else would be held on by rubber exhaust hangers.

Yes, theree would be a gasket of some sort between all connections.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

It's pretty common to see our exhausts rust out around the welds for the hangers. It's a ghetto but easy fix to cut out the rusted section and weld in a new one. Just replace the whole system if the budget allows. I've seen cars with 4+ ghetto repairs to the point that their exhaust system is a bunch of different sized pipes welded together. There is a thick doughnut gasket for the connection from 2nd cat to mid pipe (the flange with the spring bolts) and then mid pipe to muffler/tailpipe sections it's just a normal thin gasket.

If I had just basic tools I wouldn't mess with it, you will most likely need a sawzall and propane torch to get the bolts off, plus it's not fun to do all this on jackstands.

Angle grinder works as well. Then replace the nuts/bolts with stainless from the hardware, and use copper anti-seize on the threads.

+1 to the 'this is not fun on stands' comment. I hate doing this every time it comes up and I'm at the serious hobby level...

I bought my car with an exhaust leak and the midpipe had already been crappily repaired. it got louder as time went on and after a few months it snapped completely and fell off the muffler on the other end cause it was just slipped on there with no clamp or weld. took it to meineke and they did a nice job of mandrel bending and welding in 3 feet of new piping. it's nice and quiet now

Archived