LegacyGT.com

Rebuild or part out???????

Hello, all. It's been awhile since I was on these boards. Car was doing fine and life kept me busy, so I didn't get ton here much. The car is subject is a 2008 Subaru Legacy GT / 5EAT with 92K miles, Stain White Pearl (37J code). Mods were Stromung exhaust and CNT catted down pipe, Innovate AFR and boost with pro tune by local tuner.

A few weeks ago during a cold snap and ice/snow storm, I slid off the road damaging the entire passenger side and popping off and tearing both front and rear bumper covers. Long story short, insurance paid it off and I did buy the car back. Mechanically it should be 100% fine, all damage should be cosmetic with no known damage to structure, sub-frame or suspension steering components that we know of as of today. I will be getting a plain Jane work car to save gas, so I have options.

I haven't decided if I want to scrounge for parts and piece it together or part out and scrap the rest. (Note: It did cross my mind to make a dedicated track or drag car but with a 5EAT auto and cost investment in performance parts that is not likely)

This post is kind of for two fold reasons. To gauge interest in my used parts and/or to find info and knowledge on replacement parts. I am aware of the nationwide salvage yard site http://www.car-parts.com and it's interchange.

What I need to know without a doubt is what years will interchange for

bumper cover, doors, fender, quarter panel, etc?

I appreciate all responses, feedback and comments.

I guess it would come down to if you want to drive that car or not?

Parting out is work.

Your right it is work....but pay off can be good. Fixing will be work too and cost but then I have a cheap car that is really good but worth little.

I always liked the pearl white. My experience has been with pearl red on a cadillac and pearl yellow on a Harley. There are many considerations to that paint. Especially the plastics requiring the flex agents. It will be extremely difficult to blend or match the pearl. I would say you're looking at an investment in paint alone, and not guaranteed it will look right, even if it was put down by a pro.

I always liked the pearl white. My experience has been with pearl red on a cadillac and pearl yellow on a Harley. There are many considerations to that paint. Especially the plastics requiring the flex agents. It will be extremely difficult to blend or match the pearl. I would say you're looking at an investment in paint alone, and not guaranteed it will look right, even if it was put down by a pro.

Your right! The pearls and candies are nice...until you have to repair! Luckily I do have prior friends/business acquaintances that are pro body shops. When I asked if he thought the paint would be more expensive then normal, he said no not really just the extra labor for the work. I have seen their work and it is as good as any. If I go the rebuild route I already have the deal that I collect my parts and bolt on what I can, they will fix/repair what I can't (quarter panel) and shoot that entire side (painting entire car with the triple stage would cost!). In the end if paint is close match I would be satisfied. Not looking to win any shows. Heck, a friend of mine said replace the bumper covers and tail light (to make it legal) and drive it with the damage. I care more about image then he does apparently.

keep in mind, there is a reason why insurance total the car...

I'm guessing there is more to it than bodywork

Yes and no. In this case I believe the appraiser was a little overboard in his assessment and for good reason. In todays age they have to be, he picked over it with a fine tooth comb and every part was based off new OEM prices from Mitchel data. Insurance can not be liable or take the time to look for quality used parts. Myself on the other hand, I can live with a scratched wheel or small chip in a headlight if #1. function is not hurt and #2 it is not totally distasteful. Add to the fact that I was once in the parts business, still have connections and I have no time limits to turn it around like a insurance/body shop does. This would be a car that went to Coparts auction sold for profit, rebuilt and sold again, a few places like Keystone in Lexington, KY would purchase for part out.

On the other hand....your right...there is a reason why they do things like this. Never have i did a job that something did come along to be a issue to deal with. Anytime you do this kind of project expect every cost and time frame you can think of to double or more

It really does come down to what the hell I want to do. No one knows my situation better then me. But the comments are appreciated for insight I may have not considered yet.

If it wasn't an autotragic I'd say keep it for a track project... but :roll eyes:

With what is inevitably a salvaged title, I'd part it for profit over time assuming you paid a mere portion of what it would be worth in pre-crash condition from the insurance company.

If it wasn't an autotragic I'd say keep it for a track project... but :roll eyes:

With what is inevitably a salvaged title, I'd part it for profit over time assuming you paid a mere portion of what it would be worth in pre-crash condition from the insurance company.

We are on the same page of thinking.

I already considered a swap and track car. I am thinking it is too costly and troublesome to convert to manual. I can see PCM/TCM issues beyond the pedals I would need besides the tranny/cross member.

It really may be best to either fix and drive the hell out of then part out when something major blows, or save time and money and part now and get max. $ to invest into a new toy.

Part of the equation missing is how much you got and what the car cost you to keep?

The problem with parting out is turning a PROFIT is very hard. You waste a lot of time taking things apart, taking pictures, dealing with people, finding the right box, agreeing on shipping and taking payment. Even if your time isn't worth much it's a lot of work for what? A few extra grand in your pocket?

I like my pearl white. Looks sharp. If you can be ahead with doing some of the body work yourself, maybe throw it into a valve body upgrade, tranny cooler and vf52.

As for the paint matching. A good shop can do it. Had my rear bumper redone and you've never know it.

Just a thought, but have you considered getting it vinyl wrapped? Much cheaper than a paint job, and they generally last a few years. It would work fine as a daily driver or to help sell the rebuilt car. Matte black looks awesome on any kind of performance car.

Archived