LegacyGT.com

Who here let's their turbo "cool"?

As the title states, I'm curious to know if anyone here let's their car idle for a bit before shutting it off in order to prevent oil coking on the turbo shaft. I know that Subaru has supposedly designed a system which makes this practice unnecessary, but I'm old school when it comes to turbos, and I can't bring myself to just turn the car right off when I get to where I'm going. I used to drive a turbo Toyota pickup MANY years ago and I was religious about letting the turbo cool.

I'd really like to know from people who have been driving their LGT for a lot of miles. I'm thinking if there are enough people who have high miles and haven't had turbo problems who don't bother letting it cool, it might sway my set in ways.;)

What they said.

I also coast down the off ramps if I can. The main thing is drive it easy for the last minutes or so and you'll be find.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'll be in the minority. While my commute is a wopping 2 mile long, I will let it idle for about 10 seconds. After a longer drive, I might let it idle for maybe 45-60 seconds.

I also let the car warm up to, super anal :lol:

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

I check the oil quite regularly. Unless that is a Rob-2 reference that I just didn't get :lol:

I don't think Rob-2 wants to play with me anymore.

Warmup for a minute or two, low load (less than 3000rpm) until water temp is in center section (just above line). Then you're ok.

Cooldown. If you got your turbo smoking hot (burnt oil coming out of the hood), then a cool down is good. The rest of the time take it easy on the last few minutes to your house, let it idle while you get ready to get out of the car. if you idle too long the engine temp starts to go up, and you get a negative effect.

In autox, you flog your car, shut it off and coast back to the line, imediately open the hood and hose down the radiator. Rinse & repeat. Car is fine from that, so you're daily hooning attempts aren't going to have much impact.

I guess I'm just being too anal. Oil has improved a lot over the last 20+ years too, so I imagine it can handle the heat a lot more than Pennzoil circa 1990. I'd still like to hear from some of the 100k+ on the original turbo crowd though.

I'll be in the minority. While my commute is a wopping 2 mile long, I will let it idle for about 10 seconds. After a longer drive, I might let it idle for maybe 45-60 seconds.

I also let the car warm up to, super anal :lol:

Probably "doing damage"

Archived