LegacyGT.com

Invidia Downpipes Yo!

Brprs

Hello,

Im looking for some info regarding the fitment issues some have noticed with their invidia catless divorced downpipe. From what I've read the division plate somehow gets in the way and needs to be trimmed. Some have also noticed " wastegate slap" or "chatter".

I have the downpipe in my possession and would like someone to explain this in greater detail. i.e what you did to fix this and maybe some pictures to lighten the stage deux load.

So, who wants an e-cookie? :lol:

The divider looks like this:

____

|

| Rest of downpipe this way-->

|

|____

Grind it down so it looks like this:

____

|

\ Rest of downpipe this way-->

/

|____

Actually... mine looks like this:

____

|

| Rest of downpipe this way-->

|

|____

...the ones I've heard have trouble are the ones that look like this:

.. ____

..|

_| Rest of downpipe this way-->

..|

..|____

The interference is more common with VF52s. Check out the link below to see my VF52 wastegate in operation. The WG doesn't break the plane of the turbo outlet housing. It's when there's a divider plate that breaks that plane from the downpipe side that there are problems.

Mine is a MadDad Metal v2 that, at one time, had the divider plate. I have no troubles with a flat face on the DP.

Tits mcgee

It also depends on which Invidia DP you have. There have been varying runs of the downpipe with different size/shape protruding divider plates. When I bought mine, I did no grinding and had no issues running it as is. As it sits now, it's grinded all the way flush with the bellmouth flange because of the aftermarket turbo I'm running.

Thanks! I searched so much yet found nothing. Real question is, should i grind it before i put it on or install it, see if it hits and so on? OR is there a good chance my DP is the latest version? I ordered it this past November. These threads are 3+ years ago..lol

Thanks! I searched so much yet found nothing. Real question is, should i grind it before i put it on or install it, see if it hits and so on?

See what you can find on NASIOC.com. If you're running a VF40, chances are you're OK. The 2008 WRX didn't have the VF52 (they had a TD04, I guess)... so, my opinion is, the DP's designed for 08+ WRX/05-09 LGT did not take into account whatever differences in geometry exist that cause the VF52 wastegate to hit the divider plates. This wasn't a problem until the 2009 WRX came out with a VF52. That's when people started having issues... and of course anyone that retrofits a VF52 runs into the same problem.

Tits mcgee

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this again, i just want to be double sure so we dont have many setbacks come install day. Here's some pictures.. does anyone think this needs ground down?

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/00rs25/2013-03-12_20-45-18_14_zps567c8d23.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/00rs25/2013-03-12_20-45-40_132_zpsb9d4f4fa.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg502/00rs25/2013-03-12_20-45-29_423_zpse5a91454.jpg

GRIND IT JUST TO BE SAFE.

Or you'll be kicking yourself after you install it, go out and do a WOT test, overboost, hit fuel hit, throw a CEL and fly through your windshield. Then after you recover, you'll have to pull the DP anyway.

The extra little bit you grind off isn't going to affect performance whatsoever.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2622039&postcount=25

You could do the whole edge if you want, but it's a waste of a) time b) grinding material. Grind what you see in the picture, and don't skimp too much or you'll end up removing it to grind again IF something were to happen. I'm telling you man, in this case, better safe than sorry. :)

Archived