LegacyGT.com

Short blocks done

Hey guys, recently the legacy went boom so i've been looking around for solutions that arent going to finish off my savings account too. Locally i've found a ej257 with tranny and the price is right. I have a feeling its going to be a lot easier for me to just buy a complete long block and swap it rather than putting an engine together and i think its going to be cheaper too. Has anyone done this swap, what problems did you run into? I'm most intersted in which harness you used, legacy or sti, which downpipe was used, ecm.

Thanks for any help, mike.

05 LGT Wagon STI powered

Six speed trans? What year and body is the motor out of?

Its out of an 06, its got 80 something km on it, 50 miles give or take and it is out of an sti. I'd love to buy the engine and tranny but its not worth the extra money to me right now and the seller seems willing to seperate.

whats the story behind the engine? Did it blow while hammering it? just curious.

Story is i pulled out after the car ran while brushing the snow off of it, after maybe 5 minutes of driving i heard a noise, looked down and saw an oil light and a cel. Shut it down, checked the levels couldnt find a problem there, got it on a truck down to subaru and the rest is history. Car has 111xxxkm on it, i'm the second owner and have had it since 2007 at 54k and its been maintained. Next service is march at 114k.

05 LGT Wagon STI powered

you can rebuild a shortblock for about a grand, including the crank (its around $300). I'm doing that, along with all maintennance items and a few mods, for under 2 grand. mine spun a rod bearing at 79k.

I've looked into this but from what i'm hearing around here its going to cost me about what a new short block will. I would love to buy fresh internals and start over with forged but its really looking like buying a complete long block is going to be the cheaper solution. This sti engine just kinda popped up and the price really is right. I'm going to do my homework on it and make sure its healthy before i buy it but between the money and having that red manifold and sti badge on the ic, man, i want it.

So, does anybody know a little more about the swap? I dont want to get this engine into the car and then find out that its going to be a nightmare to wire and plumb it.

05 LGT Wagon STI powered

PM someone like GTTuner. He seems to know what he's talking about with these cars.

This may help too.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/help-sti-swap-152982.html

If I decide to do my engine, I will buy aftermarket pistons and rings and have my buddies machine shop do all the work. IMO you get better then OEM rings when you go aftermarket.

My Tuner say's the rods will be good for my hp goals, just use new bolts, I'll go with ARP head studs and mat be ARP rod bolts and use a OEM gasket set. Or whatever the machine shop recommends. They do a lot of work for the local car dealers so they know what's best.

Have you talked to a auto machine shop yet ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Mine broke recently in the past couple weeks as well. I ended up have a broken ringland in four places.

I replaced the pistons, bearings, oil pump and pickup, whole new timing belt kit, and all new gaskets. Also blew the oil seals in the turbo so everything involved got replaced with a sti style 20g setup. Fortunately I was able to reuse the block with stock size pistons.

Good luck. All of this ended up costing way more than planned but I should be happy with the end result.

Archived