LegacyGT.com

How to: Installing a BNR turbo

Sorry. Been a while since I checked this thread. If anyone has questions, I am here and can answer them. I greatly appreciate fahr_sides work on updating this thread and the BNR turbo thread.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget how it connects to DP. Been a long time since I took one of the DP. But it connects the the up pipe via two bolts/nuts that attach to a flat bar on the up pipe. Makes a "T" on the up pipe. Holes on heat shield are slotted so you can slip them over bolts. 10mm bolts.

got it on today. not sure why i was having so much difficulty before. just a matter of jiggling the shield enough to fit around the downpipe, coolant hoses, and in between the turbo and transmission. definitely would have been easier to install this thing right before the turbo goes in i think. may want to mention that in your writeup. anyway, thanks for the help.

Most dont use OEM down pipes. I did not in the installs used for the write up. If using an OEM with all the heatshields, the turbo still goes in first. Cant have a heatshield attached to the DP sitting in the car while trying to get turbo in. DP has to be out. The trick is paying attention when you take it apart. OEM heatshields have a ton of 10mm bolts holding them together. All can be accessed with everything in the car, but it is tight and you might give some skin.

I leave all heatshields except turbo (top) on the DP. Then bolt them back together as the DP goes in.

didn't take off the heat shields from the down pipe. just the two turbo heat shields. lower one attaches to uppipe, downpipe, and turbo upper heat shield. definitely needs to go in before downpipe and turbo because there's a tab on the lower heat shield on transmission side that sits atop a nutplate on the downpipe...won't go in with turbo and downpipe installed. so downpipe has to come back out to get it in there. stinks.

That is what I mean. You took it off the DP. I do not take the lower heat shield off the DP. I only release it from the up pipe and the turbo heat shield.

It stays attached to the DP during the entire operation. Then it gets attached to the up pipe when the DP gets installed. Turbo heat shield is last thing to go on.

• 6 months later...
Just bumping this so i can find it easier when I tackle the 39 install, thanks as usual Mike your always a huge help!

I didn't take the time to look back through this thread but I think it's here or over in the Bolt-up turbo upgrade thread where Bryan took Mike's walkthrough and converted it to a Word document. I'm pretty sure I have it saved in my documents so if you can't find send me a PM with your email and if my recollection is correct I can forward it.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone have any tips with a friggin gimmick turbo inlet ??? WILL NOT BUY AGAIN (couldn't afford anything else though since it wasn't really by choice that i'm replacing it... the turbo sucked in a piece of plastic from it.

I swear i can either get the inlet on or get the oil drain lined up, if i replaced the oil line with one ~2" longer would the S it makes restrict oil flow too mucht?

That *&^$%@ inlet took longer to install than the turbo, ELH, and injectors combined. I loosened up the bolts for the uppipe and the turbo bracket, then I squeezed it onto the turbo and tightened the hose clamp at the same time. Never again!

Gimmick is pretty bad. It does not have the slight bend at the end required to align to the turbo properly. Same as eBay stuff I have seen. I guess with a name like "Gimmick"...

Sorry for your troubles. There is no "correct" way with that inlet. You just have to fight it.

ok... my GMS inlet trick..

SHOVE inlet through with turbo off, adjust turbo and TIP to get them aligned...

clamp them down .... while turbo is still off... wrestle with bypass valve connection

Wrestle turbo onto up pipe... bolt down then proceed with misc lines...

it was a bitch but i felt it was nearly impossible any other way...

it seems like it was made for a jdm car with no tgvs or something.

not gonna lie after wrestling with the inlet pipe i was about to swear off gimmick but their copper gaskets work damned well.

I took the filter out, it was pretty clean anyhow.

I accidentally shearing off a bolt trying to loosen it. It one of the bolts that hold upipe mount. You can see it here, the bolt on the right. The body is still theaded in, but th head broke off. MMmmm, what to do ? At least I can still get to it with the turbo on.

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p330/ibr_adam09/SAM_1560.jpg