LegacyGT.com

145k miles - BLOWN TURBO

The stock turbo started making noise the other day in my 05 LGT (auto tranny). The car currently has 145k miles and in all other regards is in great shape.

After searching this forum for the past few days I think the best route is to upgrade to a VF52 turbo, new oil inlet tube, new up-pipe (to replace catted pipe) and maybe a new downpipe(?). Does this make sense? Is there anything else I need (aside from a dyno tune)?

I really want to avoid dumping a ton of money into this car given its current age and mileage. So I would like to avoid a new intercoolers, fuel pumps, injectors etc.

Should I be worried about the increased power on a car with 145k on it?

Also, where are you guys buying these turbos from? Which vendors? Who is the cheapest (PM if need be). Definitely looking for the cheapest way out... if I can increase the car's performance at the same time, then so be it.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum.

Earlier today someone posted a web site with rebuilt vf52 for like $800

I got mine new from Mike at http://www.AZPinstalls.com contact him and email him.

The car will be fine with more hp.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Don't drive the car with the turbo going out. Other then that your list is fine. Add in the DW65c fuel pump. It's not that bad of an install and only $150 on top of what your already gonna spend.

The company that had the $740 vf52 was six star. Page down to find the link. Rest of the parts can be had from the site vendors.

Don't drive the car with the turbo going out. Other then that your list is fine. Add in the DW65c fuel pump. It's not that bad of an install and only $150 on top of what your already gonna spend.

The company that had the $740 vf52 was six star. Page down to find the link. Rest of the parts can be had from the site vendors.

Thanks for the quick responses.

The car has been up on blocks since it started making noise. I plan to drain the oil this weekend... hopefully its free of any metal shavings.

Will the fuel pump you mentioned be useful without new injectors?

If you want to avoid spending a bunch of money, just get a replacement VF40/VF46, new uppipe, and pull the banjo filters. Do the KillerB oil pickup tube and you'll be set for awhile.

Anything beyond that and you'll wind up spending a fair amount of money upgrading secondary components. With a new turbo/downpipe combo you'll also need to get a good tune.

A VF52 will get you more power, but its unlikely to get more reliability. If you want more power that's fine, but you're in pay to play territory, so consider yourself warned.

I'm on stock fueling, you don't need the fuel pump just a tune.

You can always do the pump and injectors later if you feel the need.

The car will run fine, put that money where you need it now.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

The company that had the $740 vf52 was six star. Page down to find the link.

Cant seem to find the link... can someone post it?

Also, what brand up and down pipe should I be looking at? I obviously dont need anything high end. Just good quality budget pipes.

A VF52 will get you more power, but its unlikely to get more reliability. If you want more power that's fine, but you're in pay to play territory, so consider yourself warned.

This depends on what sort of boost you're planning to run through the VF40. As you push the turbo harder, the air temps leaving the turbo are increased. At around 17-18psi the VF40 is leaving its comfort zone. Hotter air leaving the turbo means higher intake temps, increasing chances of knock.

The VF52 is able to push more boost at a lower temp. Shouldn't that add to the reliability of the engine?

http://6starspeed.com/reihivftusuw.html

Get an STI uppipe from NASIOC; Not sure of the years applicable. Also, I have a CNT downpipe, and for the money I couldn't be happier.

They are good for most, some have had issues.

My Tuner is not a fan of anything with a "g" in it.

He's seen a lot of turbo's so I trust him.

I have a hard time spending my money for a used turbo...

BTW I have Invidia catless up/dp pipes.

Great fitment.

This depends on what sort of boost you're planning to run through the VF40. As you push the turbo harder, the air temps leaving the turbo are increased. At around 17-18psi the VF40 is leaving its comfort zone. Hotter air leaving the turbo means higher intake temps, increasing chances of knock.

The VF52 is able to push more boost at a lower temp. Shouldn't that add to the reliability of the engine?

http://6starspeed.com/reihivftusuw.html

Get an STI uppipe from NASIOC; Not sure of the years applicable. Also, I have a CNT downpipe, and for the money I couldn't be happier.

In theory, more boost at lower temp is good, but its still more boost, and it will probably be at a higher temp than stock. The majority of the heating comes down to simple ideal gas laws, more compression = more heat. Aside from the turbo, I meant more just the secondary issues that go with upgrading the turbo. The stock TMIC isn't really designed for higher boost, extra transmission wear, etc.

In terms of upgrading to a VF52, the majority of the engine reliability comes down to how good the tune is. A good tune and occasional logging is probably just as good or better than stock. A mediocre tune which is never logged, and you're into to expensive territory.

With a 5eat add a Tranny cooler ( Tru-cool 4454 is popular) and maybe a thermostat depending what your winters are like,from the little reasearch I've done (and input from other 5eat members) your 5eat will thank you! 15k tranny fliud changes/flushes and with 145k don't be suprised if it develops issues with the added power.

Would the BNR 18G turbo this guy is selling be an equivolent replacement to the VF52?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-va-bnib-bnr-18g-w-upgrade-act-cobb-shifter-200701.html?t=200701&highlight=bnr

On a related note how is the quality on the BNR turbos? They seem to run significantly cheaper than the VF## replacements.

BNR 16g would be closer to a vf52

My Tuner is not a fan of anything with a "g" in it.

He's seen a lot of turbo's so I trust him.

I have a hard time spending my money for a used turbo...

Interesting. Must be the mitsubishi chra then? So what would your tuner recommend for a small to medium turbo upgrade?

Archived