LegacyGT.com

squealing noise in reverse

garageboy

Just bought an 05 Legacy. While test driving, I did sharp turns at low speed and had no handling or noise problems. This is while going forward. Today my son backed out of a parking place at low speed, cut the wheel hard, and it started making a squealing noise while the wheel was turned. He did not notice any vibration. Previous owner said it needs a rear strut replaced. Could this be the cause of the noise? Thank you.

Where does the noise come from? If it's coming from the front it's obviously not the rear struts. My first guess would be the power steering belt, or something else in the power steering system. If it's from the back, next guess would be brakes. You can test by doing stuff in reverse and seeing if it only happens when the brakes are on.

If it's the brakes and it only happens while reversing, you probably don't even need to change anything. Some cars just have brake squeal when while backing up because it puts more load on the smaller rear brakes, and in an unusual direction. Just look at the pads and see if they still have good thickness, and see if the rotors look okay. If they check out, it's just brake squeal. It shouldn't affect your performance appreciably, but if you want to fix it some brake pad grease and/or new backing pads may help.

Archived