LegacyGT.com

How many miles on your CVT? Any Issues?

Thanks! I'm in NH. Was your car still under extended warranty or anything? Do you have to have to done a Subaru dealership in order to get that $500 reimbursement? I called that worldwide # yesterday. They said they would look into it for a possible reimbursement of some kind. However, they called back today and said nothing they can give me since it's out of warranty. I mentioned the service bulletin, that it should be a recall, my disappointment etc...they just repeated themselves. I wonder if I should raise up to a manager there. Who/where did you send the letter to? Appreciate your help. I can't believe this hasn't been recalled.thanks again!

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! I'm in NH. Was your car still under extended warranty or anything? Do you have to have to done a Subaru dealership in order to get that $500 reimbursement? I called that worldwide # yesterday. They said they would look into it for a possible reimbursement of some kind. However, they called back today and said nothing they can give me since it's out of warranty. I mentioned the service bulletin, that it should be a recall, my disappointment etc...they just repeated themselves. I wonder if I should raise up to a manager there. Who/where did you send the letter to? Appreciate your help. I can't believe this hasn't been recalled.thanks again!

Got the torque converter replaced in NJ. Subaru said they would reimburse me $500. I just checked, on sams club auto, I can get %15 off repairs at another nearby dealer. 1 800 subaru 3 is subaru wordwide. call them. I wrote them a letter telling them I am disappointed they didn't fix it in its entirety or at least half. My sister is in Rhode Island and had a $1900 quote a year ago. Haven't gotten my reimbursement yet (it's been only a week and a half). This should be a recall. call other dealers to see what the torque converter replacement would be. the part was over $600.

Service Bulletin # 16-90-13 Design Change to Lock-Up Type Torque Converter Torque Converter

Bulletin Description: This bulletin announces the availability of a countermeasure torque converter assembly to address a customer concern of very low engine RPM when coming to a stop. The condition is similar to coming to a stop in a manual transmission equipped vehicle without depressing the clutch pedal. Thrust washer wear inside the torque converter torque converter can cause restriction of the oil passage used to bleed off lock-up clutch application pressure. The result is either a delayed (momentary low engine rpm) or no lock-up pressure release. The thrust washer has been changed from a solid bushing-type to a needle bearing type.

I tried searching for this but no luck on the full write-up, when did this become a running fix for cars off the assembly line, anybody know?

I have a Legacy with 130,000 miles had to have the torque converter replaced, there is a service bulletin from subaru on this issue, they symptom is car will stall when coming to a stop. NOT cheap the transmission has to come out to access. Mine was out of warranty so had to cover my self. There is also large differences in price for this repair between subaru dealers. I was quoted anywhere between 1500 plus tax to 2100 plus tax. I would stay away from this transmission unless you buy one after 2014 when they fixed the issue. Now that the torque converter is replace no issues so far. I am noticing a half second delay when I but the car in drive or reverse, this makes me nervous. I wished I had never bought this car. Edited by Holygow

We've got about 130kms on ours. Bought with 120.

PROBLEM: when driving at a steady pace of anything above 50kmh and in 6th "gear", it will squeal and abruptly shift from 6th to 5th and then back to 6th with a very defined slip.

Not sure what to make of it as no-one seems to have a problem like this. Could it be that the torque convertor is done? I would hope so ... cheaper than replacing the tranny!

I have a 2015 Legacy with 2,700 miles and it is going into the dealer next Friday for a growling noise coming from the front of the car. I am starting to believe it is the differential and not the cvt because it changes with speed not rpm. When I bought the car a couple of months ago I remember how quiet the car was and that you could here just a slight wind noise from the door and now it is driving me crazy. At about 40-50 mph there is a growling bearing sound coming from the front of the car. It is getting worst because I can now hear it with the radio playing. I called the dealer today and told them about it which they promptly told me " it has a cvt ", which I replied I know. I also own a 2013 Impreza that is still going strong with 21,000 miles.

I am a little afraid that the dealer is going to change the cvt on such a new car and leave me with problems down the road. The Subaru warranty is weak and I justified buying them because of the reliability and quality. A short warranty is only bad if you have a problem. After reading about all these cvt problems I am starting to wonder if I will be a Subaru guy down the road. Right now I am still in the wait and see phase.

The Impreza is wearing the back tires and I called the Subaru customer help line and was told the first alignment is free, so I have to schedule the Impreza in for an alignment soon. This will be my first time dealing with the service department .

I have 42k on my 2013. I've had one problem where the gears were stuck doing about 50 mhp it wouldn't change into the next higher gear and wouldn't go into manual. It lasted about 8 - 10 seconds. I will have it checked out and let you know.

mine will also gear down wile in drive, I accidently hit the paddle shifter while in drive and can reproduce it. So I will ask about that as well.

jeffmaz, we have 86K on our 2010 legacy. Just replaced all the drive fluids for the second time: CVT, Diff & transfer fluids & oils, Flushed radiator, Brake fluid, oil & filter, Wheels rotated & balanced; new front brake rotors and pads .. Expensive service visit at $1400.

PS: I'm bringing the car back for a wheel rebalancing. Since this service visit, a little more than "normal" shimmy in the steering wheel. When I say Normal Shimmy, these cars do not ride as smooth as others...must be a Subaru thing. It's acceptable to most people, and unacceptable to others. I have Cooper CS3s tires with 40K on them now. But with the OEMs tires, and 16" wheels (I upgraded to 17" Subbie Wheels over a year ago) I felt the slight shimmy at speeds at 65-75mph. Same with the 17" wheels.

My 2010 Legacy is at the dealer now- It stalls abruptly at stops.

the CVT is not going into neutral if you keep your foot on the brake. It started just before 100,000 miles . seemed like bad gas. It felt like it would stall. Now it is too dangerous to drive. I have 117,000 miles on it. I called my sister who has a 2010 outback. She has had a similar problem for over a year. the dealer to her to put it in neutral to stop or pump the brake. This is a serious problem and should probably be recalled.

Sorry no a problem with the CVT but your problem is the same as my 2011 The torque converter failing to lock out at a stop. I just had it repaired at the local dealer under an extended warrentee contract I bought. 74k on my Legacy and the cost were $675 for the Torque converter, $50.00 in fluids and $560 to R&I the engine. total $1280.00

I posted earlier in this thread about my daughter's Crosstrek with a vibration on acceleration. After the dealer first denied there was a problem, they finally diagnosed the cause as a bad transmission mount. They didn't have one in stock, so I don't know if it will fix the problem.

This was bought as a "certified pre-owned" car from a Subaru dealer in Pittsfield MA and they are refusing to cover the cost of this. I told her to take it to another Subaru dealer nearer to where she lives to get the diagnosis confirmed and have them do the work if it really is the mount.

I think the 2012's ore ok

I just searched for the TSB where the change to the needle bearing is mentioned and its date is early 2014.

I think we are all screwed on this one. Unless you own a 2014/2015. My guess is that most 2012+ just don't have the miles to be seeing this happen yet.

Trading mine tomorrow I think.

I just searched for the TSB where the change to the needle bearing is mentioned and its date is early 2014.

I think we are all screwed on this one. Unless you own a 2014/2015. My guess is that most 2012+ just don't have the miles to be seeing this happen yet.

Trading mine tomorrow I think.

But in typical Subaru fashion, how long did they deny a problem existed as they installed the fix on the line, then released the TSB?

Invoice for what I think is a reasonable price for the repair from a very good Subaru dealer in the north east region.

Good luck and I'm sure there will be little or no issues.

Scotthttp://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh578/scott6058/Scan1_zpsce5745c0.jpegsonable quote.

Edited by scott6058
spelling