LegacyGT.com

How many miles on your CVT? Any Issues?

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5600 on my '13 leggy sport...only thing i have noticed is a clunk/clank on a cold start when it shifts from 1-2 after backing out of the garage...

I notice this if I let the car roll forward after putting in park and then coming back later and shifting out of park or if I don't let the car stop after reversing and shifting into drive

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Are we talking about a "shudder" when coming to stop here?? My son was just complaining about that now starting to occur - a shudder when coming to a stop. He said it just started to occur recently. I'm going to take it for a ride today if I can.

I think I saw something about this on the forum on a different thread but can't recall where? I had major service done a few months ago: including changing the CVT fluid, diff oils, oil, etc. at 63K miles on our 2010 2.5i Leggie.

• 10 months later...

My 2010 Legacy is at the dealer now- It stalls abruptly at stops.

the CVT is not going into neutral if you keep your foot on the brake. It started just before 100,000 miles . seemed like bad gas. It felt like it would stall. Now it is too dangerous to drive. I have 117,000 miles on it. I called my sister who has a 2010 outback. She has had a similar problem for over a year. the dealer to her to put it in neutral to stop or pump the brake. This is a serious problem and should probably be recalled.

I notice this if I let the car roll forward after putting in park and then coming back later and shifting out of park or if I don't let the car stop after reversing and shifting into drive

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Same here, I got in the habit of always setting my parking brake before taking my foot off the brake peddle to avoid the "clunk" the next time I leave....

i have a 2011 with cvt and I am having the torque converter replaced due to stalling when coming to a stop. I have 130000 miles. I think this will be a common issue once more of these cars reach over 100000 miles. Edited by Holygow

my estimate is $1820 from the dealer- plus tax I assume- complain to Subaru 1-800-subaru3. they are kicking up a portion as good will- This really need to be a recall. the CVT's don't come out of neutral at a stop and abruptly stall. I stopped driving it 2 weeks ago so I wouldn't die. mine has 117000, but started about 98000 as a hesitation at lights

my estimate is $1820 from the dealer- plus tax I assume- complain to Subaru 1-800-subaru3. they are kicking up a portion as good will- This really need to be a recall. the CVT's don't come out of neutral at a stop and abruptly stall. I stopped driving it 2 weeks ago so I wouldn't die. mine has 117000, but started about 98000 as a hesitation at lights

Cheaper than my head gasket repair, $4800 and SoA told me I'm SoL because I did my own oil changes

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

No issues with my '12 Legacy at 38k mi, but my daughter just bought a used Crosstrek with 50k mi, against my advice, and has a low speed vibration/shudder which feels like a CVT issue to me. It happens on acceleration,decreasing up to about 35mph where it's gone. Luckily she bought it from a Subaru dealer certified pre-owned, so it will be going back to them shortly to be checked out.

Hi, bought my first subaru this past august. It is a 2010 legacy sedan with 103kmiles. Bought it for me sons first car and thought I was doing right thing given subaru boasting safety, reliability etc... But just had same problems, abrupt stop and stall at lights, jerky acceleration, locked up system etc.. Dealership said the torque converter needs to be replaced...quote is $2,100. Yikes!!! Never would have bought the car had I known. He said if I don't fix it will get worse and will have to replace entire transmission which would $7k to replace. Definitely scaring me but it's so much $$.

In any case, my question is for the other person with a 2010 subaru, (suewolf)..what state did you get the $1820 quote, how much so subaru kicking in as good will on top of that and what did you say to get them to kick in some help? 2100 is a hefty quote and kills my budget so any help/advice is appreciated. And I definitely agree this should be a recall issue for subaru- hurts their reputation they rely on being a SAFE car.

Got the torque converter replaced in NJ. Subaru said they would reimburse me $500. I just checked, on sams club auto, I can get %15 off repairs at another nearby dealer. 1 800 subaru 3 is subaru wordwide. call them. I wrote them a letter telling them I am disappointed they didn't fix it in its entirety or at least half. My sister is in Rhode Island and had a $1900 quote a year ago. Haven't gotten my reimbursement yet (it's been only a week and a half). This should be a recall. call other dealers to see what the torque converter replacement would be. the part was over $600.

Service Bulletin # 16-90-13 Design Change to Lock-Up Type Torque Converter Torque Converter

Bulletin Description: This bulletin announces the availability of a countermeasure torque converter assembly to address a customer concern of very low engine RPM when coming to a stop. The condition is similar to coming to a stop in a manual transmission equipped vehicle without depressing the clutch pedal. Thrust washer wear inside the torque converter torque converter can cause restriction of the oil passage used to bleed off lock-up clutch application pressure. The result is either a delayed (momentary low engine rpm) or no lock-up pressure release. The thrust washer has been changed from a solid bushing-type to a needle bearing type.