LegacyGT.com

Just bought a 97 GT

And think I got screwed pretty hard.

I'm a formally educated engine builder, and am ridiculously intimate with the Ford Mustang. This is my first Subaru, and thought it would be fun to build a rally car inspired vehicle. Looked for a few weeks, and came across a white 1997 Legacy 2.5GT, or so it was badged...

It ran nicely, and drove nicely, but I wasn't expecting much performance, going from 400WHP V8's to "165hp" rated 4cylinders. So I bought it, knocked him down $400 off his initial listing.

I got it home, and was messing around in the fairly clean engine bay, (161,000 miles), and noticed EJ22. I then just about hit the floor. This was NOT a 2.5L DOHC engine, but a 2.2L SOHC.

Everywhere I have read, these Subaru's are like legos, and most everything bolts to most everything else with subtle differences. I'm not worried because of this one "fact," however, the engine has a slight knocking at start up. (The bastard warmed the car knowing this goes away during warm.) I now am going to have to put an engine build together faster than what I wanted to.

So I'm wondering, what would the purpose be, to drop to an engine that is rated at 50 horsepower less? I walked the junkyard, and here in Houston, the south east LQK was void of Subaru, any and all! So I'll have to source my engine build elsewhere.

Hoping for as little flames as possible, as I'm needing to ask if there is an article I can be pointed to, that defines the differences of the EJ engines? My biggest concern is to find a closed deck, but I'm having a hard time with the search function, without knowing what to search for...

• Moderators

Others much more knowledgeable than me will chime in I'm sure, but in general a lot of folks really like the EJ22 engines--not sure for your application though.

Not so sure you need to worry about the slight knocking if it goes away when warm. Likely just some extra clearance between pistons and walls that goes away when the pistons warm up. You could argue that this is ideal for an engine that would see hard duty such as rally racing.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

considering 97 is the worst year for subarus in the history of ever, the stock motor probably already blew a few or more head gaskets so the motor was swapped with the SOHC heads, either it was the only motor they could find, or it could be possible its a Frankenstein motor like mine which is a 2.5 block with 2.2 heads, this increases hp and tq.

I didn't mention, the knocking is only on one side, one cylinder. So it's definitely not supposed to be there ;)

Whatever engine is sourced and decided, will be built outside of the car, as it's going to be daily driven until it's heart is ripped from its chest! I have a 2006 F150, that the wife took over driving, and her 2000 E55 is just too expensive to keep on the road, which is why I went and bought this vehicle. So now we have parked her E55 until it's "needed."

considering 97 is the worst year for subarus in the history of ever, the stock motor probably already blew a few or more head gaskets so the motor was swapped with the SOHC heads, either it was the only motor they could find, or it could be possible its a Frankenstein motor like mine which is a 2.5 block with 2.2 heads, this increases hp and tq.

Wouldn't the stamp read EJ25? Mine is clear as day, EJ22.

The ej22 is arguably more reliable than the ej25. Having said that, if you come across a doc 2.5 and address the head gasket issue, it will give you many years of trouble free miles. Where are you on the southeast side? I'm just outside the Beltway, near Pearland.

Behind Dickinson Highschool. Not quite as hood as over on the otherside, California street, but I'm good with all the neighbors over here. And there's lots of guns everywhere, with owners itching to put burglar heads next to their deer and elk heads on their trophy walls!

The research I've come across, has me looking for an EJ22T block, as it's the only(?) USDM closed deck block, that Subaru offered? Coming from performance V8 world, I just don't trust doing anything radical with open decks...

I'm like you, new to subaru. Built muscle cars for 25 yrs, just wanted to do something different. I can't confirm it but I read somewhere that all 2.2's were either closed or semi-closed decks. Turbo 2.2's seem hard to come by this far south.

EJ22T blocks are the only USDM closed deck blocks. Some Jdm Ej20g blocks are closed deck. Outfront motor sports sells a closed deck 2.5 block if you have to go that route.

Open deck or semi open deck blocks can put out a lot of power if tuned properly. All USDM Wrx and Sti blocks aren't closed deck and can put out close to 400 hp in stock form if tuned properly. Plenty of people have swapped Ej22 stock blocks into their Wrx when their ej205s bit the dust. So my point it you don't need a 22T block necessarily. The 22T is pretty cool though. I have two of them. :)

Do you have a specific power goal in mind? If you want to run anything more than 5-6 psi on your ej22e you will need to go with a standalone ecu or do a wiring harness merge from a Wrx or Sti which would allow you to tune with opensource software such as Romraider. You would also need the matching Sti or Wrx heads although it is possible to get 25d heads to work if you fab up a bracket for the crank sensor.

A pretty reliable way to get more power is to swap in a tdo4 from a Wrx and run wastegate pressure or limit to 5-6 psi with an mbc and a rrfpr. You would need to notch the engine crossmember for the downpipe to clear and use an 06 FXT tmic. No additional em required.

Archived