LegacyGT.com

Cargo door (gate) problem on the Wagon . . .

I just recently picked up a wagon GT Ltd. All is good and plan on writing my impressions on the weekend to all of you, but for anyone else who just picked one up, here is the first problem I noticed. The cargo door (gate) does not seemed to be aligned properly at the roof of the car. This is causing the right top corner of the gate to scrape against the right rear edge of the roof when I open the cargo gate. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Thanks, Ron

[quote name='rltrock']I just recently picked up a wagon GT Ltd. All is good and plan on writing my impressions on the weekend to all of you, but for anyone else who just picked one up, here is the first problem I noticed. The cargo door (gate) does not seemed to be aligned properly at the roof of the car. This is causing the right top corner of the gate to scrape against the right rear edge of the roof when I open the cargo gate. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Thanks, Ron[/quote] While I don't have a wagon (yet!) I would say that this is NOT something that should be occuring in any sense. I would also suggest that you take it back immediately as to not compound the problem. Sorry to hear this misfortune. I am sure everything will be taken care of. Good luck!!

I was thinking that exact same thing. I will be checking that before I leave the dealership lot for sure. Again I am sorry to hear about your plight. I am sure that everything will be cleared up.. maybe you could have them repaint the entire car in titanium grey :D

As others have noted, this thread reminds me that I should make a list of these types of things to look for when I go to pick up my new Legacy wagon. Maybe a new thread should be started that is "Things to Check For When Taking Delivery of Your New Legacy". Several sections should be included: Common: Wagon Only: 1. Rear door alignment - Make sure the door is seated and seals properly. Check that no edges scrape when opening. Sedan Only: 2.5i Only: GT Only: As more people take delivery, more issues (hopefully minor) will come to light. It will be especially helpful for people who don't live close to their dealer where bringing the car in may be a major hassle. drew

[quote name='axis008']Someone also stated that their car had little scratch marks or something like that when the dealership washed their car?[/quote] Oh, I HATE that. I should specifically tell them not to install the facotry optional swirl marks and scratches! No one washes my cars but me! :x

• 3 weeks later...
OK, so here's the latest... Was on vacation so stopped in at Buckhannon Subaru in West Virginia. They guys there were VERY helpful (ask for Kevin). They spent about 45min on the gate. They adjusted the spoiler so it no longer rubs. It lines up nicely with the roof now. They also adjusted as best they could the whole gate. Even with the adjustment, there is still a modest difference between the "gap" or seam on each side of the door running down the sides. I think at this point this is more cosmetic than anything else. Time will tell if there is any functional issue, such as leaking. The gate closes fine. They gave me a write-up so I can get the repainting dealt with when I return to a local dealer. We then went out to the lot to look at other wagons. The only thing they had out there were Outbacks, but NOT ONE of them had the gate aligned properly. I am amazed no one on this site is seeing this on their cars -- not necessarily the spoiler scraping, but the gate alignment! Seperately, can a forum regular create one of those "stickies" that lists the various defects forum members have been finding. This would be very helpful.

Tide or Sube555, I think it is a good idea to create a sticky for "sticky" issues that we are seeing on the new line of cars. I have read several concerns by current owners. This has in no way dampened the enthusiasm of the owners, but there are some things that we might want to look out for. As I have read some of the concerns in various posts, those posts get lost as people stop responding or some reposts a similar concern. What do you think about a "2005 Concerns" sticky? Do you think it would draw too much attention to some otherwise minor issues? J.R.

Unless I am confusing this problem with a very very similar problem, this has been reported by at least two other people and Orpie, (I think that is the guy that works in the Subaru Prep Co.) asked for details so he could check the new cars being preped for delivery. I am in a rush or I would look up the post where Orpie requested info on tailgate rubbing and I described upper corner. On at least two different threads, people, including me, have posted lists of the problems people have been mentioning on multiple threads. Maybe a list thread is needed?

Archived