LegacyGT.com

5MT tranny swap

yes and no!!

the 90 5mt will bolt in and connect and run,

but you have to match the final drive ratio in the rear diff.

the 95 - 99 legacy L, LS, brighton,(plus low end imprezas) manual trans have a 3.9 ratio.

the 90 - 94 legacy manual trans (non-turbo) has a 4.11 ratio.

the 91 - 94 legacy turbo manual trans has a 3.9 ratio.

but since you can use a lego or an impreza 5 speed trans, you have lots to choose from.

you CANNOT use the 5 speed out of a 2.5L car, they have a 4.11 ratio.

no outback,

no GT,

no LSi,

no Forester,

no RS? or WRX? (i do not know high end imprezas.)

Your 1990 may be FWD.

Subaru didn't get crazy about AWD and put it on everything* until 1995

*excludes Brighton and the new BRZ. Restrictions apply. See wrapper for details.

until 96. 95 it was still an option. i have a 95 fwd wagon.

the interchange software at car-part.com asks FWD vs. AWD in the 97 lego trans section.

but i have never heard of any one owning one.

but it also asks ej22 or ej25 on the 96 obw with auto trans.

and nobody has ever seen a 96 obw auto trans with a factory ej22 .

manual trans sure, but not an auto trans.

I have seen in person a 1996 Outback with a 2.2L and an Automatic transmission. Engine code was EJ22 on the block and engine plate on the driver's side fender well. It made me do a double take too. Subaru will throw in whatever fits, as most/all of their stuff does...lol

did it have the step roof?

did it have the TZ102Z2ABA auto trans?

well then you have a very unique subaru,

they did not make very many of them.

and i do not agree with your assessment that ''Subaru will throw in whatever fits,''

it has been my experience that they are very consistent.

but my experience is limited.

Not sure about much else. My buddy didn't buy it because it had a massive rod knock and the guy wanted like $1500 for it, and this was only 3 years ago. It very well could have been a very very late '95 model year production, but was within what should have been '96 production dates.

As for the "Subaru will throw in whatever fits" part, I have a buddy who is a parts manager and sells parts to a lot of Subaru places around central VT. He has literally had to have shops bring in their old brake pads to match them up for Subarus because the ones listed on the year/make/model/sub-model/engine look-up don't match. But it was an over generalization.

Could be people throwing together salvage yard Subarus, but who knows.

subaru will likely put in whatever the customer asks for. and im sure there is surplus they try to get rid of as well. i owned a 76 impala with a 350. when i rebuilt the lower end, i traced the numbers and was surprised to find it was a 4 bolt main. when i tore it down, it was drilled as a two bolt. ialso had 400 sbc heads on it from the factory. i had friends at chevy, so i had them help me with a bit of research. for sure, it was made in december and put together with what they had sitting around, basically. numbers all matched when they got done, and i had a great conversation with an old guy that used to manage part of the line back then. he said if they started getting a bunch of older parts building up, they would use what they had available in the cars at the ends of the runs to get rid of surplus. he told me it wasnt uncommon to see truck parts going into cars, as well as mismatched head/ block combos. he said originally the 305 with the 54 heads on it was the same deal, but i dont know if i believe that.

i have a 305 with the good 54 heads in the shop. i really want to build it into something. i also have a spare th400 sitting in the back yard. my friend wants to clean and sell it tho, i may have to find a good project for it before he does that tho.

Archived