LegacyGT.com

Tactrix(openecu) VS Accessport

semsub

Hello

I'v got USDM LGT ltd 05 5EAT

I dont want to transform it in to some crazy "all sportcars killer", just maximum stage 2( UP,DP,CBE)

Yesterday I was driving my friends stage 2 06 LGT with AP and PDX map, thats just what i want)

But there is something that stops me..

600$ AP vs 180$ Tactrix openecu..or Vag cable

But again there is some things about Tactrix that scares me..

Like there are lots of people writing about they "brick'd" their ecu's

I live outside U.S , so I cant simply mail my bricked Ecu to Tactrix, and to unbrick my ecu will be lots of $

Thats why i need your help

What i need

1. Ability to simply change map to stock or etc..

2. Ability just buy map (like PDX) and simply load it without fire in the brain

Can I do this with Tactrix as simple as with AP?

If my notebook will suddenly freeze, Ecu will be completly bricked?

Is there are some ways to restore stock map after that?

Sorry for this stupid questions, but there are so much info about this on forums that my brain is really on fire and I cant find answers on this simple questions:spin:

Thanks fore your help and sorry for bad english)

The accessport is a module designed to do the flashing for you with a press of a button, custom maps can be installed via it...aka the pdx you mentioned. The tactrix will require a laptop, flashing software, and an open source tune map to flash the ecu with. It can be tricky learning the ins and outs of open source flashing, I recommend an AP for anyone worried about doing so. The AP is a good start and in the mean time you can read up on open source flashing.

Since you are a noob, I suggest going with the AP simply for the ease of use and map switchability.

05-06 LGT's only require the vagcom cable which is less than $30. 07+ require tactrix due to canbus ecu implimentation.

There are many threads on how to use a vag-com to flash ecu's, it would be cheaper than an AP but of course you still need to pay for the tune, which can be done via emailing logs back and forth from a tuner like Infamous on here. It takes longer but the tune will be better than a basic AP map. You pay for convenience.

FWIW, I've been told bricking an ECU happens when the car battery dies mid-flash or you turn the key in the off position during flashing. If your laptop freezes or dies I think you can just restart and reflash as long as the key is kept in the on position the whole time.

FWIW, I've been told bricking an ECU happens when the car battery dies mid-flash or you turn the key in the off position during flashing. If your laptop freezes or dies I think you can just restart and reflash as long as the key is kept in the on position the whole time.

Thanks for your answer:)

But are there some openecu maps like on AP , without logging ,sending ,etc? or it is the only way?

05-06 gt require special VAG cable, or it is the same for all cars?

And the last question:

As Cobb says AP will fit 05+ gt, it is model or year of production?

Because my LGT is 2005 year model in all documents, but factory production date is 12.2004..

Will 05-06 LGT AP fit my car?

Thanks)

• Mega Users

If you're computer savvy, get the vag-com cable. Use the remaining $580 you would have spent on the AP for mods and a tune.

To prevent bricking, I'm in the habit of rebooting the computer right before I flash and making sure I have a full battery. Also make sure you don't accidentally kick the cable while flashing. If you question the stability of your laptop, then don't use it for flashing!

If you aren't comfortable setting up the drivers for the cable, then go for the AP. It is a huge convenience. You don't have to haul a laptop with you. If it's worth it to you then go for it.

• Mega Users
You would have to purchase a map. You don't have to send in logs for revisions if you don't want to, but it would give you a better tune. You could just request a conservative tune that would be safe as is, but it's best to log to make sure everything is working properly. If you do an e-tune, they will send you the rom file through email.

EcuFlash has a "test flash" that I use everytime with the vagcom cable, works great. You can brick your ecu with the AP also. If you are going to be switching maps alot (race gas, e85, pump gas etc), I'd go with the AP(and I'm not really a cobb fan).

thanks))

no, only switching to stock time to time , thats all))

full battery and stable laptop is the main key not to brick ecu?

but if ecu is bricked there are no way to restore it myself ,right?

You would have to purchase a map. You don't have to send in logs for revisions if you don't want to, but it would give you a better tune. You could just request a conservative tune that would be safe as is, but it's best to log to make sure everything is working properly. If you do an e-tune, they will send you the rom file through email.

ok) thank you)

what VAG cable do I need?

Some special adapters?

Are they all the same? (I mean brand - etc)

if the ecu loses power and is bricked, right, you either need a new ecu or you'll have to send it out.

why are you going to switch to stock map time to time? the downpipe requires stage 2 tune anyway.

Yep, I know about downpipe, but sometimes I give this car to my wife for a month or so when i'm out of the country..

:lol:

I don't think you understand.

The downpipe requires a tune, it's not exactly safe to drive a car with stage 2 mods with a stock tune, you're safer leaving the tune on if your wife is going to drive it.

I understand)) I will simply unbolt DP and change to stock))

Thats real worth that time)) Because her driving style is really scary with this car and stage 2:lol::lol:

meh. it's not that big of a power improvement. If she's gunna speed and be reckless, she's gunna speed and be reckless in a stock lgt too

maybe.. but when i was driving friends stage2 LGT with AP ..it is like lamborgini and my stock Lgt is like KIA RIO for me)))

anyway thanks)

can you tell me which VAG cable do I need, or link to someone?

maybe.. but when i was driving friends stage2 LGT with AP ..it is like lamborgini and my stock Lgt is like KIA RIO for me)))

anyway thanks)

can you tell me which VAG cable do I need, or link to someone?

:lol::lol::lol:

I highly doubt this...But as stated a heavy foot is a heavy foot in a Rio or Diablo.

We have load and go maps as well:http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/now-introducing-customized-off-shelf-mapping-174960.html

EcuFlash has a "test flash" that I use everytime with the vagcom cable, works great. You can brick your ecu with the AP also. If you are going to be switching maps alot (race gas, e85, pump gas etc), I'd go with the AP(and I'm not really a cobb fan).

I agree with all of that.

I use the 'test flash' feature every time just to verify that the laptop can talk to the car properly. I've done somewhere between 175 and 200 flashes with no errors (I like to experiment with stuff), and I had never done this at all when I started out.

The biggest advantage to the AP is the ability to switch tunes without reflashing. If you want to switch between multiple fuels (pump gas / race gas, or pump / E85, or whatever), it's definitely the way to go. And the library of the off-the-shelf tunes, but independent tuners are filling that need for EcuFlash/RomRaider as well. Otherwise, they both do essentially the same thing.

Damn that's pricey. I paid $10 SHIPPED for mine!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-OBD2-OBDII-Vag-KKL-Interface-Cable-Audi-VW-/140476162127?hash=item20b508204f&item=140476162127&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

That's the one I recently picked up as a backup. I haven't tested it, but the last cable I got was also from this seller and had the exact same item description, and I'm still using it after a few years. I'll test the new one that I just linked tomorrow morning to make sure it works right.

I don't know about the AP, but with romraider and an opensource tune, you could set the wastegate duty map to 0 then reflash. That's a lot easier than swapping out the downpipe and flashing back to stock.

That is already built in to an off the shelf AccessPORT: Economy mode map.

The AP also comes with anti-theft mode maps. With a Realtime map change, switching maps only takes a literal minute using only the hand held AccessPORT device.

So the new vagcom cable from ebay (from the link I posted) does not work with version 1.42.2595 of ECUFlash, but I had a feeling that would be the case anyway from other people's posts. Trying to find the older version and that should work.

I have an AP but mainly because my car came with ECUtek shit on it... and i'd like to sell it for money but... i'm patiently waiting for speed density tuning to be released... once that is done... i'll never look back.

So the new vagcom cable from ebay (from the link I posted) does not work with version 1.42.2595 of ECUFlash, but I had a feeling that would be the case anyway from other people's posts. Trying to find the older version and that should work.

I just got vagcom cable like this , it was like 20Euro. I think the same China stuff.

Dowload latest Ecu Flash and it works , maybe this cables like China roulette, one is ok ,anover is not :lol:

Archived