LegacyGT.com

JDM headlight install walkthough.

Since I tried to find a simple diy to install these headlights(and was unsuccessful) I decided that I'm going to just write my own walkthough. This will cover everything that is needed to convert the USDM wiring to the JDM wiring. No aftermarket hid kit is required, but some wiring harnesses may need to be purchases.

When looking at the U.S. headlight, I saw only a 3-pin harness coming out of the headlight, along with another 3-pin harness for the turn signal/running light. On the other hand, the JDM headlight has a 6-pin harness coming from the headlight, and a 2-pin harness coming from the turn signal. I didn't want to hack up my stock harness coming from the car, so I used the harness coming from the U.S. headlight to make things a bit cleaner. I also did this because the headlight harness can be replaced on the U.S. headlight.

If looking at the U.S. harness coming from the car you will see 3 wires, yellow/white, red/white, red/black on the driver side.

And yellow/blue, red/green, and red on the passenger side. The yellow/blue and red/green drive the low beam. And the red and red/green drive the high beam. The reason that the red/green is listed twice is because the wire on the headlight itself splits into two wires, one to the low beam and one to the high.

Lastly, before going over the actual conversion. On the turn signal harness on the passenger side coming from the car, you will see three wires. A white/red, black and black/blue. The white/red drives the turn signal, black is a ground, and the black/blue drives the running lights.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160126/3f7fe887b7cfec810a2a381466d49999.jpg

This is a diagram of the turn signal socket that comes from the car as looking at it from the front. The wires are the same on the driver side.

Next to find and label the wires from the JDM harness. On the passenger side you will see red/green and red that drive the low beam. Another red/green and black that drive the high beam. And finally black/yellow and black/blue which drive the running light.

In the driver's side the wires are different colors. Red/white and red/black that drive the low beam. Black and red/black and drive the high. Lastly black/yellow and black/green and drive the running light.

The JDM turn signal harness only has two wires, black/green and black on the passenger side. Black and white/red on the driver side.

By looking at the connector face on, the wires corresponding to each light should be on top of each other.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160126/e50ef621995ff4366a84948214ced552.jpg

Now to get to the conversion. Since I didn't want to ruin the stock harness coming from the car, I cut off the female connector from the headlight and decided to use that. (Will link part number) Part #84981AG070

So if looking at the stock 3-pin from the front of the connector, I will number the wires.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160126/626b261e60646369e42dfe7620109aa3.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160126/a87eb68b79e6ba50c947007bca2b32ca.jpg

To have the headlight working these wires will need to be connected:

Passenger side:

Both red/green wires will be connected to pin 3. Red connects to pin 1. Black connects to pin 2.

Black/yellow connects to the black wire from the U.S. turn signal harness, this is a ground. Black/blue connects to the black/blue from the U.S. turn signal harness.

Turn signal:

Black/yellow connects to the black wire on the U.S. turn signal harness. Black/green connects to the white/red on the U.S. turn signal harness.

Repeat on the drivers side, just with the different colored wires assigned to the same lights.

Driver side:

Both red/black wires will be connected to pin 3. Red/white connects to pin 1. Black connects to pin 1. Black/yellow connects to the ground on the U.S. turn signal harness. Black/green to the running light wire on the U.S. turn signal harness.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160126/62bcb725e35119deb116d0fe21b0f79d.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160126/0a20c5463b1ad017fd423f5ddcb8b604.jpg

Here is the light right after wiring.

Since the running light is not wired in line with any halogen bulbs, I decided to throw on a LED to better match the color of the low beam. I also swapped over my yellow high beam bulbs I had in my old head lights.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160126/64c9912725d95b793980cf56a8e77734.jpg

I also found the bulb numbers for anyone looking.

Turn signal:

Koito WY21W

Running light:

W5W

Sorry if any part of this was confusing, I'll be more than happy to answer questions.

Interesting. My thoughts were to use the stock vehicle wiring, but adapt the JDM wiring to fit that. I was going to run a stock turn signal harness off the JDM lights, combining the turn signal/running light wiring. I wanted to keep the car wiring stock in case I need to revert to stock headlights.

Your method has some merit too, though. I will consider it.

Interesting. My thoughts were to use the stock vehicle wiring, but adapt the JDM wiring to fit that. I was going to run a stock turn signal harness off the JDM lights, combining the turn signal/running light wiring. I wanted to keep the car wiring stock in case I need to revert to stock headlights.

Your method has some merit too, though. I will consider it.

Yeah, I plan to go back and make it completely removable. Just need to find a female end to the U.S. 3-pin turn signal connector.

• 2 weeks later...
So, I'm an idiot. There is no wiring for the turn signal/running light on the headlight side of the harness. So that means making my own connector there. I think I will use some pre-made weather pack pigtails. Edited by DavidInSeattle

I need to find some motivation and finish my JDM HID setup. I've had all the part for well over 2 months now. Mine will by similar to DavidInSeattle's setup in that I'm using a USDM headlight harness (since the JDM wiring on mine was incomplete anyway) for plug&play compatibility. I'm also keeping the USDM turn signal plug instead of hacking it up like the other thread. I'll also be using the leveling motors and think I have all I need for that, but mine didn't come with any of that wiring.

• 1 month later...
Did you have to use high wattage 6ohm resistors for the turn signal/running light as in this guy's thread?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/jdm-hid-headlight-conversion-walkthrough-113094.html

No, you don't need to replace the flasher unit either. Since the running light and blinker are not wired in-line, I was able to run an LED in the running light and have the blinkers function just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Where can I find the pigtail connector to the leveling switch. I've looked everywhere and on japanparts. They only show the replacement leveling switch.

I've got a spare I could sell you. You get them from JDM part outs attached to the switch.

Where can I find the pigtail connector to the leveling switch. I've looked everywhere and on japanparts. They only show the replacement leveling switch.

I believe I found the pigtail connector. It is a toyota part...go figure. You also need the repair wires. I believe I found the correct pins if you want make your own for much less money.

Connector: Toyota 90980-10797

Repair Wires: Toyota 82998-12340

Pins: Sumitomo Conn-11-856 (ballenger motorsports)

I haven't tested it yet as I don't have my jdm lights or a leveling switch. I found this by searching over the past day.

Also, I believe you could just buy another illumination switch. They have the same connector and appear to be functionally the same but again I don't know for sure

Edited by rhino6303