LegacyGT.com

Fuel injector servicing - Mr Injector or DIY

The engine has been stuttering during acceleration that's above 15% or so, CEL, etc... Tried fuel injector cleaner (BG44k and Royal Purple somethingorother), only a small change.

Mr. Injector does a servicing for about $100 including return shipping, but has anyone actually tried to do this themselves? I've seen videos but different injectors have different issues, so I thought I'd see if anyone has had success (or failure) with that method.

Should I just leave my ride parked for a few days and send in the injectors?

Turns out... it's not the injectors. I did more reading here and some people said coil packs go bad and give the same trouble, so I checked the codes I was getting:

P0303 Misfire Cylinder 3

I swapped the coil packs on the passenger side, thinking it was a fools errand but why not try?

Reset ECU, drove car, same symptoms, checked code:

P0301 Misfire Cylinder 1

Well I think it's the coil pack...

FWIW, I use Chevron and Shell exclusively. Looks like the injectors are probably fine, just ran 2 sets of fuel system cleaner through them for no reason. Well I guess it probably didn't hurt anything, but whatever.

Twist the pins inside the coil pack and then reinstall it. Sometimes the power source plugs become loose and don't make good contact. Twisting the pins slightly with needle nosed pliers allows the pins to scrape a bit when you plug it back in and give good contact.

I experimented with this on my own car chasing a Cylinder 3 misfire and once I twisted the pins on that coil, the issue immediately went away. Since then, I think it's probably fixed 100 cars or more with misfire issues.

It costs nothing to try and I would give it a 50/50 chance of fixing the issue.

Good luck.

Twist the pins inside the coil pack and then reinstall it. Sometimes the power source plugs become loose and don't make good contact. Twisting the pins slightly with needle nosed pliers allows the pins to scrape a bit when you plug it back in and give good contact.

I experimented with this on my own car chasing a Cylinder 3 misfire and once I twisted the pins on that coil, the issue immediately went away. Since then, I think it's probably fixed 100 cars or more with misfire issues.

It costs nothing to try and I would give it a 50/50 chance of fixing the issue.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tip. I might try this before installing the new part just for the heck of it, but I would think a loose pin would cause a misfire at ANY throttle level, not just heavy load, right?

Does the coil pack adjust the level of spark, or current, based on throttle setting?

Thanks for the tip. I might try this before installing the new part just for the heck of it, but I would think a loose pin would cause a misfire at ANY throttle level, not just heavy load, right?

Does the coil pack adjust the level of spark, or current, based on throttle setting?

It can cause a misfire at any rpm but generally a load is the most prevalant. The pins are not loose actually-they are stationary, but the plastic on the power feed plug can become a little bit loose as can the female wire ends inside of the power feed plug, so when you twist it a little bit sideways, it kind of scrapes it's way in and reestablishes contact with fresh metal.

ECM reads all of the sensors-O2, fuel, vacuum, MAP, MAF, PCV, and a bunch more and makes adjustments about 60,000 times a second. Whether or not it actually changes the current of the coils based on the sensor readings it picks up, I don't believe the actual current to the coil packs change, but one of the tuners would know better than I do.

I know it's not your injectors, but since the title of thread is Fuel Injector Cleaning; I've used RC injectors in California. Great and super fast service.

https://www.rceng.com/Fuel-Injector-Cleaning-P43C0.aspx

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

At about 95,000 miles my wagon began misfiring under load. I pulled the plugs and found the center and side electrode burned completely off on two of them and the other two weren't far behind.

A new set of plugs and I'm good for another 90,000 miles or so.

Archived