LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Yea, Im going to leave the spec b STS and get the Cobb STS stick from Cobb for the spec b. They just announced they are coming back out with them....

http://blogs.cobbtuning.com/

Thats the way I had my Cobb STS on my 5 speed. I had trimmed the metal all out so I had more room to make the throw really short, and then I made the stick short. You can see it in the above picture.

The dang stick is so high I feel like Im driving a truck. But then agains I guess I am :) LOL

If you get a chance and can snap a pic of your stick or take a look at mine above and tell me if thats what yours looked like.

I still am having a hard time believing that this is a short throw shifter, I feel like I got a stock shifter in a STI STS box.

Edited by Scooby2.5

Mine looks just like yours. I had my Cobb set for the shortest possible throw but the tallest possible height, and this is about the same height but noticeably longer throw. Less than my stock 5MT, but still... Edited by NSFW

I believe the 06 Spec B uses the R160 rear diff with 4.11 ratio so you'd need to change out your rear diff gearing to ensure that it matches the STI front diff gearing. You'll also need a shorter drive shaft as Scooby2.5 mentioned above. If you keep your R160, and change out your rear diff gearing to match the STI tranny, then you can keep your 06 Spec B axles. A 2005-09 Legacy automatic driveshaft will fit, as will a 2007+ Spec B driveshaft.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

SBT is correct since yours is a five speed its like anyone else.

You will need your 08 STI tranny, STI mount, spec b driveshaft or the 2.5i shaft SBT mentioned, 07+ spec B axels and either a Spec B R180 or a 06+ STI R180 to get the 3.54 gear ratio.

You could find a 3.54 R160 and then just change the driveshaft.

You will also want to change the R180 cradle/mount. Most have not done this but it does fit the R180 better. This part is also for a 07+ spec b

You will also need a spec b shifter either stock or the STI spec B STS.

I was looking at using 07 spec b rear end and axles sorry if I wasn't clear in my post.

When you say I need a different mount for the spec b r180 exactly what mount are you referring too? You do not mean changing the subframe do you?

Thanks,

Anthony

You don't HAVE to change the mount but after looking at it real close it does match the R180 a little better.

A friend of mine found the one in the below picture on Ebay for 35 bucks. I paid 95 from dealer.

Spec B rear diff mount part number is

41310ag040

http://gallery.me.com/gregnauman/100050/Spec%20B%20R180%20Mount/web.jpg?

I bought a brand new Spec B driveshaft and axles. I wish I knew before I put it on that you needed the specs :(

41310ag040

Here is a picture, not of mine but of a friend that found one on ebay. **Edit His was from a 2011 STI**

Mine looked just exactly like this and it was a new one for a spec B.

41310ag040

http://gallery.me.com/gregnauman/100050/Spec%20B%20R180%20Mount/web.jpg?

Edited by Scooby2.5

Scooby

What year dccd controller and equipment did you use for your set up? It looks great. Also is there a display for the settings? If so please show a pic if not let me know how you know what setting you are in

Thanks for all the help

Anthony

Scooby

What year dccd controller and equipment did you use for your set up? It looks great. Also is there a display for the settings? If so please show a pic if not let me know how you know what setting you are in

Thanks for all the help

Anthony

You can't use a specific year of DCCD controller. The reason is (that I know of) you can't use the STI DCCD computer because it ties into the STI ECU which we do not have.

So you have to go aftermarket. I purchased from DCCDpro at DCCDPRO.com

I purchased mine with the Factory Auto/manual switch, and the factory scroll switch as I wanted a factory look. I then cut holes in my console after some VERY SERIOUS MEASURING. I then just snapped them in the holes I created.

You know what setting you are in (sort of) by the LED on the Auto/Manual switch.

It glows brighter and dimmer depending on the amount the DCCD is working in Auto mode, and does the same with the scroll wheel in manual mode.

Its a bit different than the stock one but not much. You can read through the installation documents and the test documents on his website and get a feel for it. Lots of good information there and the guy is SHARP!

Read through all the threads on the 6 speed swap and you will have the answers to pretty much ALL your questions you will have as you look into doing this.

I really only had a few after I started this project because between NSFW, Groff, Hammer down and the sticky, pretty much every question you can come up with is mostly answered.

These guys covered it all, and THANKS AGAIN for making it easy for the rest of us guys!

Edited by Scooby2.5

The pic above is a mount from a 2011 STI. It fits fine on the Legacy with an R180.

Interesting, I didn't know that or missed it if you told me. So the 2011 STI must be pretty much the same part number as the Spec b mine looked just like that and I ordered it for a 08 spec b.

I think its funny how the STI is catching up to the 05 legacy platform over the years.

We have stuff on our cars that didn't show up on the STI until 2008. Like for example the speed is derived off wheel speed sensors, not gears in the transmission.

Edited by Scooby2.5

I was planning on using dccd pro I just didnt realize you could use the stock switches.. DO you happen to have part number for them or know what year sti they come form?

I will plan to do a very similar install with the switches I always prefer stock look to aftermarket

I am going to try and use my 5spd momo gear shift and hide the reverse lock out under the leather if possible

DCCDpro sells the stock switches or the standard ones. If you get the stock switches from him like I did, they are pre-wired up VERY NICELY. Id just get the whole thing from him.

Go to the website and you will see them listed:

http://www.dccdpro.com/zcart/

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1339

If you are talking about the 5 speed momo shift knob, I do know a way you can do it thanks to hammer.

You would almost have to see the 6 speed shift knob to fully understand maybe but Ill try to explain.

The 5 speed mono knob has a nub on it that the boot slips over to hold it up. You would have to cut that nub off flush.

The nub you cut off is the exact size of the hole that needs to be drilled in the bottom of the shift knob after cutting the nub off.

Use some sort of drill press or something like hammer did in his thread and drill out the center of the shift knob where you cut the nub off.

This new drilled out part needs to be a certain depth which could be measured off a stock 6 speed knob.

Once that hole is drilled larger you can now screw it onto the 6 speed shifter and the new hole/hollowed out part allows the reverse lockout to go up into the knob like on a stock 6 speed knob.

I have been planning to do this with my 5 speed momo knob if it doesn't sell in the forums.

Im not sure it will work the way you are thinking where it is hidden under the leather boot but you could sure give it a try.

I personally think it would be better to "convert" it like I described.

Do a look around in hammers thread and you will see how he did it to a similar knob.

First step is to cut off the nub that holds the boot though.

Hope that helps

Edited by Scooby2.5

I was planning on using dccd pro I just didnt realize you could use the stock switches.. DO you happen to have part number for them or know what year sti they come form?

I will plan to do a very similar install with the switches I always prefer stock look to aftermarket

I am going to try and use my 5spd momo gear shift and hide the reverse lock out under the leather if possible

I believe the DCCD pro can be ordered with the factory switches.... ready to wire up.