LegacyGT.com

dynamatting exhaust sound

kaitanium

Trying to reduce the cabin noise a bit more (have nameless unmuffed axlebacks). I assume most of the exhaust sound is coming from the trunk area? I could be wrong. What do you guys think before i drop some $?

So heres what Im thinking:

1. cutting out a piece of dynamat to fit right under the rubber cargo tray thing (in pretty much that same shape). No sticking it down, just cutting it out and laying it under. And maybe throwing a piece right on top of the spare tire.

and

2. adding some right above the exhaust, sticking it up there. Not sure if the adhesive will allow it to stay there for a long period of time since its "outdoors" and in the elements. although it does seem pretty clean down there.

photos of the areas:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/kaitanium/IMG20150503124411.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/kaitanium/IMG20150503124359.jpg

Dynamat works by adhering to the metal surface and dampening the vibrations that are traveling through the metal. Just laying it down will only add a layer of dynamat resting on the surface. You don't need 100% surface coverage. Dynamat is applied in strips that are spread out over the surface. On the wagons, the exhaust note does enter from the rear where you have identified.

I assume you have the factory midpipe installed? I think the next most reasonable approach would be to swap mufflers back to stock.

want to keep it quieter for the baby =). A swap back to stock would be doable too but a nice in between would be best on those days im zipping around windows down without the kiddo in tow =). Yes factory midpipe and factory beyond toward the engine also

so what im gathering is that dynamat on metal surfaces is best (around the exhaust empty space where the stock muffler was and spare tire well), laying it under my cargo tray is useless. Maybe ill just do the inside of the tire well and immediate surrounding areas.

Dynamat isn't a magical noise-deadener. It only serves to dampen the vibration (e.g., the noise that is traveling through your chassis and body). You can look at adding additional layers of insulation to help deaden the sound, check some more in the car audio section. I think most of the sound that will be removed is road noise and possibly some drone from the exhaust.

That being said, you have a wagon. The open-air passenger compartment is really the largest issue. It is essentially a big subwoofer box and the exhaust is the subwoofer. Interior exhaust noise on the sedans is much different because they have a trunk that is sealed from the passenger area.

yea i figured that the wagon could be part of the prob. Ill probably see if theres some cheaper home improvement type materials first so its not a total loss if i do this and it turns out to be nothing. Some folks have said it works wonders. Might as well give it a shot. Going to first do the entire floor of the rear trunk area and spare tire well.

I've been in your position. Save your money for a better exhaust system. Sell the nameless and move on.

If you want to try a fun experiment, take your "mufflers" and run with nothing bolted to your axle-back flanges. You'll find it's actually slightly quieter.

Good luck.

Archived