LegacyGT.com

Volume controls not working on steering wheel

Anyone else have issues with the volume controls on the steering wheel? My volume up doesnt work. Volume down works when it wants to and sometimes it changes the mode when I use it. I have to hit the steering wheel to get it to work properly sometimes. Anyone else, or thoughts? I have a 2010 legacy!

Have you gotten the recall done? I'm guessing if the electrical roll was split it wouldn't ever work but this may be part of the issue.

Recall Service Program

Steering Column Electrical Roll Connector | WVR28

Important Safety Recall Notice

Subaru Recall Campaign WVR-28

NHTSA Recall No. 10V-283

July 2010

Subaru Of America, Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in some 2010 Legacy and Outback models.

DESCRIPTION OF THE SAFETY DEFECT

Subaru has determined that the wiring in the steering column electrical roll connector (located behind your vehicle’s steering wheel) may develop stress cracks and eventually break. If this were to happen, certain electrical components may not operate as intended.

DESCRIPTION OF THE SAFETY HAZARD

If the wiring in the steering column electrical roll connector were to break, your vehicle could experience any or all of the following conditions without prior warning:

• The driver’s frontal airbag may become inoperative and not deploy as intended during a vehicle crash. Such an event could result in personal injury. Should the driver’s frontal airbag become inoperative, the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) airbag warning light, located on the instrument panel combination meter, will illuminate indicating a malfunction of the airbag system.
  • The horn may not function when the horn pad is pushed. This condition would prevent the driver from sounding the horn in an attempt to avoid a dangerous situation such as a vehicle crash.
  • Radio and cruise control switches located on the steering wheel (if equipped) may not function.
  • Transmission paddle shifters located behind the steering wheel (if equipped) may not function.

REPAIRS

Steering column electrical roll connectors susceptible to this condition contain lot numbers within a specific range. Subaru will check the lot number found on the device and, if necessary, replace it at no charge to you.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO PROMPTLY

You should immediately contact your Subaru Dealer for an appointment to have this repair performed.

There are important precautions you should take until this recall has been performed. If the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) airbag warning light illuminates or the horn no longer functions, immediately contact your Subaru dealer for assistance.

HOW LONG WILL THE REPAIR TAKE?

The approximate time to perform the inspection is 12 minutes. It will take an additional 30 minutes if the connector requires replacement. However, it may be necessary for you to leave your car for a longer period on the day of your scheduled appointment to allow your dealer flexibility in scheduling other appointments. Your Subaru dealer will perform all inspections and repairs at no cost to you.

Please present this notice to your Subaru Dealer at the time this repair procedure is performed.

IF YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE:

To locate the nearest Subaru Dealer click here.

If you need additional assistance, please contact us directly:

• Telephone: 1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783) Monday through Thursday between 8:30 a.m.and 7:00 p.m. EST and Friday between 10:30 a.m.and 5:00 p.m. EST.
  • E-mail: Go to http://www.subaru.com/shopping-tools/contact-us.html.
  • U.S. Postal mail: Write us at Subaru of America, Inc., Attn: CDS Department,
    P.O. Box 6000, Cherry Hill, NJ08034-6000.

Please contact us immediately if the dealer fails or is unable to make the necessary repairs free of charge.

You may also contact the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave. SE, West Building, Washington, DC 20590 or call the toll free Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to http://www.safercar.gov if you believe the dealer has failed or is unable to remedy your vehicle without charge within a reasonable amount of time.

Your continued satisfaction with your Subaru is important to us. Please understand that we have taken this action in the interest of your safety and your vehicle’s proper operation. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this matter may cause and urge you to schedule an appointment as soon as possible to have this repair performed.

Have you gotten the recall done? I'm guessing if the electrical roll was split it wouldn't ever work but this may be part of the issue.

Well no kidding! I will give subaru a call tomorrow and see what they say. They always give me the run around and it annoys me.

But thanks acumenhokie

Mine does the same exact thing... So with that recall, i dint have to pay anything to get it fixed right?

Recalls are free. Technical Service Bulletins can be charged for.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I just had the entire Navi unit replaced in my '12 Limited....and they did the steering wheel audio controls at the same time......they had been bad from day one, but no one at the dealership mentioned it until I finally got the Navi replaced........MUCH better now....Pioneer navi is still a piece of sh*t but way better than the original one that was in the car....It could NOT find it's own ass using both hands.

According to the service manager they have had a lot of problems with those audio controls.....Hence the recall notice.

this is why i love this forum.. i got in my car today and went to raise the volume up and it didnt work, tired it 10 more times still nothing. Good thing my headlights burned out for the 4th time and i already have a time set up to get them replaced ill have them run this recall.

• 3 months later...
I think I had read that this only applies to '10s and some '11s but my '12 acts up sometimes. Volume down will change the mode and mode up won't make it go back to where it was. I have to hit the button on the radio to put it back. Volume down then starts to work again.

Mine has had the recall done because my audio controls crapped out. That was at 35K. I am now at 87K and they went out again. I am stopping by the dealer this afternoon and talking with the service manager. If its a safety recall, I can't imagine they will say I have to pay for it, even out of warranty. We will see though... I will post my results later on.

Stopped by the dealer yesterday afternoon. the service manager said I need to contact Subaru of America because the recall has already been performed TWICE according to their records.( I thought it was only once) Unfortunately, SoA was closed so I need to wait until Monday to call them. I know that the likelihood of my airbag not deploying in a crash is extremely low, but its something I do not want to find out the hard way. I will be calling SoA first thing Monday morning. Hope this goes my way

• 2 years later...
I'very had the same problem, Subaru couldn't fix it. The volume controls etc are simple in that they just output different voltages. If you remove the steering wheel hub and jiggle the ring that holds the contacts this cures the problem. Just be careful as the airbag is in the hub and there is an electrical connection.

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem with my 2011 Outback. I found the service bulletin for this. Looks like an expensive part. I think I'll try shaking the wires first.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2012/SB-10093184-2280.pdf

Bulletin Number: 15-150-11R; Date: 10/09/12

NUMBER: 15-150-11R

DATE: 11/11/11

REVISED: 10/09/12

APPLICABILITY: 2010~11MY Legacy and Outback

(Without Navigation)

SUBJECT: Steering Wheel Satellite Switch Volume

and Mute Function

Archived