LegacyGT.com

HELP! 05 N/A Leaking lots of oil

I just jacked up my 05 NA legacy to change the oil and i noticed that there was oil leaking from the oil filter and the area around was covered in black. It took 2.5 quarts to get the thing to read full on the dipstick. It has only been 5k since the last oil change so i'm not sure if the oil filter was just not on tight or what. What would you guys recommend doing in my case? Since i put about half the oil into the car should it be alright driving it for a while and just keep an eye on the levels? I saw in some videos that it was recommended to get a new crush washer for the oil plug but i wasn't sure if maybe there was a gasket that is suppose to go between the oil filter or something. Any info you have would be a big help thanks.

Chris

change all of the oil and install a new filter. theres a rubber gasket thats built into every filter at the end that screws onto the car. dont use aftermaret filters either, the subaru filter is only like 8 bucks anyway. its possible the filter wasnt installed tightly enough. when you change the oil be sure to clean the area the filter gasket sits on and put a thin film of oil directly on the filter gasket prior to installation. failure to lube the filter may result in the rubber gasket bunching up and not sealing completely, resulting in a leak. also, filters only need to be tightened by hand, no tools required. always use a new crush washer on the drain plug, and clean the areas covered in oil. drive for 1000 miles and check the oil periodically. look for signs of leaking every time you fill up with gas.

I've used ether OEM filters or over priced K&N filters never had an issue, also if u live in a hi salt area there is a line running down to your filter that can have build up on it and start to leak, a commen problem im seeing in subarus up here in VT

I have never used a OEM filter.

Any filter has a the rubber seal attached. When you remove the old filter check the seal closely. See if something was not right.

You can get the washer from the dealership, the auto parts stores normally sell you the plug and washer for like $4.00

Also why are you not checking your oil before 5000 miles ? Bad Idea.

A friends 05 Outback ran out of oil in 5000 miles = new engine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Best be is if ya drive ya ride hard, to check the oil weekly or at least when u fill her up. I change my oil every 5k with synthetic but on the shop beater 05 Legacy wagon we change it every 3k ... and normaly its about 1/2 quart low and it just runs 2.1 miles to parts store, or brings a customer home... nothing crazy

I see. This has all been very helpful. This is just my second car and what i had before never had problems with oil or anything so im more used to just the matinence on a mercury sable which doesnt require too much. I will definitely start checking it when i fill up from now on and i already bought an oil filter that isnt an oem. It is a purolater one i believe. Ill be keeping an eye on it to see if that is a problem. The subaru dealership is the only other person to have done anything to my car in its entire life, i have all the service records. But the filter on it currently is not a oem filter....hmmm

Purolator makes good filters, the filter brand isn't the problem. When you change the oil, make sure that the area the filter gasket makes contact with is bare metal, and that an old gasket isn't stuck to your engine. As others have said, make sure to coat the new filters gasket with oil before you screw it on.

As max said, I would inspect the old filters gasket when you take it off. See if it looks abnormal in any way. I don't think the oil pan drain plug is the problem, but I do recommend using a new crush washer with every oil change.

and if u guys use alot of salt over there in michigan, the oil pan after awhile can become quite tender... another thing to watch out for, and if the motor has been rebuild they used RTV most likely to do ya oil pan gasket, it could be worn out or missing and leaking from there as well, just another thing to quickly check

Archived