LegacyGT.com

Keep lgt with 140k or sell ?

I have a 2005 LGT AT that I have loved since the day I got it. The only real problem I had was with the turbo at 60k. I have 140,000 miles on it now and need to decide on either keeping it until it dies or sell and get something for it. Trying to weigh the pros and cons. Any suggestions?:):rolleyes:

Does it use oil ? how much ?

I just bought a new ej257 shortblock and had my heads rebuilt in my 05 GT wagon 5mt. The car has 154,000 miles. Plan to keep it for a long time.

You know they don't make cars like these anymore...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

200,000 easy with good care. There are a few members here over or close to 200,000.

What oil do you use, that will be the next question people will want to know.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• Mega Users
I have a 2005 LGT AT that I have loved since the day I got it. The only real problem I had was with the turbo at 60k. I have 140,000 miles on it now and need to decide on either keeping it until it dies or sell and get something for it. Trying to weigh the pros and cons. Any suggestions?:):rolleyes:

Doesn't burn oil. runs well. Runs a little rough at idle, but otherwise great......How many miles do you think it could do?

It doesn't seem as if you are a very materialistic person since you still have yours.

Do you really need a new car? sounds like your current one is just fine. I bet the rough idle would cost very little to fix, assuming you've maintained regular oil changes and don't have a compression problem.

It also sucks to have a car payment. The prestige of owning a new car is wipe away by the bill collection at the end of every month IMO.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Agreed. Not having a car payment is nice. Lower taxes too. Any mods that actully help the engine run better?

Max Capacity: You know any good Subaru mechanics in Hartford/Tolland area? I'd

feel better if the rough idle was fixed.

I did use 5w-30 dino oil for the 154,000 miles. I will change the new engine over to Amsoil.

Have you contacted CT08Spec.B about cheaper car insurance, he's someone you'll want to get to know. He hooked me up with the parts guy's at Suburban.

He's saved me a bunch of $$$$.

http://www.tuningalliance.com/ Contact Mike, he's in Vernon, about your idle. I'm meeting him on Sunday to have him log some pulls on my new engine to make sure his tune is still goood for the head porting.

Also the guy's at the parts counter at Suburban know a good mechanic that left Suburban and is on his own. Stop by and ask Brett or Matt if they'll give you his name.

If your current car runs fine, and you love it, I say keep it and run it as long as you can.

That's what I plan to do with my 05.

But I am at the point of needing to re-do the turbo (even though it is healthy) as per some preventative maintenance. I'm likely going the Max Capacity route (minus shortblock) when the time comes later this year.

It might be worth $26 for a Blackstone oil sample analysis. It will give you some idea of the condition of the engine and turbo and might help tip the scales on your decision.

I did this a few months ago while I was kicking the idea around and the report was really positive so I decided to hold onto it.

I agree with the oil analysis. It's a good indicator of engine health

If the car runs fine, it makes to sense to sell it. I plan on keeping my 06 LGT 5EAT until the day it dies (my current calculations say I should hit 200k in October of 2020 :lol:)

Doesn't burn oil. runs well. Runs a little rough at idle, but otherwise great......How many miles do you think it could do?

200,000 easy with good care. There are a few members here over or close to 200,000.

What oil do you use, that will be the next question people will want to know.

I'm at 199700 right now, bone stock on the engine. always have been. other than replacing wear and tear items and a few minor mishaps it's been great. My goal is 300k.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Thanks for all the input . I needed to hear some positive feedback to help motivate me to keep it. I really can't think of anything that I would want to replace it. Except maybe a Volvo S60 with AWD maybe. but that would put me in debt up to my ears.

Maybe a new turbo and a few tweaks and I'll be good to go.

i need to inspect my turbo. it easily has over 100k on it now. (2nd one). I've not had any issues with it and don't expect to find any.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I agree with the oil analysis. It's a good indicator of engine health

If the car runs fine, it makes to sense to sell it. I plan on keeping my 06 LGT 5EAT until the day it dies (my current calculations say I should hit 200k in October of 2020 :lol:)

I meant to say "it makes NO sense to sell it." ... too much caffeine does that to me

Did your turbo actually let go or was it preventative?

I ran it as long as I dare. the Turbo whined for about a 1000 miles. One morning on the driveto work is began to whistle. I drove back home, (1/2mile) and parked it. Ordered the vf52 from Mike at APZinstalls.com when I got to work, had it the next day.

So no, my turbo didn't blow up. It gave me a good indication it was time to be replaced. I did post a video of the shaft play in my 142,000miles on a turbo thread.

199891 now. :p couple days I'll be at 200k:spin::spin:

Archived