LegacyGT.com

Rear strut replacement in a 2006 Outback

Have a few questions as I'm getting ready to do this.

1.) Any preferences between say, the KYB and something like the Monroe Sensa trac (rockauto). I'm staying stock and just want the best quality replacement.

2.) Anyone have the torque specs for the bolts/nuts? Haven't yet found the 2006 outback vacation pics...so I'll probabaly get stuck with one of the aftermarket manuals for this job. I don't always trust thier specs.

3.) Any gotchas? The 2008 Legacy manual is pretty clear, and I'm guessing the job is similar on the 2006 Outback.

Thanks

post #32 if you were looking for the legacy pics... couldnt tell by your post, maybe just looking for outback pics? anyway...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2010-vacation-pics-137900p3.html?highlight=vacation+pics

Torque specs should be the same for the outback.

If i remember KYB has a lifetime warranty they are probably equal or higher quality than the monroe anyway

Yeah - you're dealing with basically a shock absorber on the rear. Struts are front-only on the 4th Gen Legacy/OBs. I've attached the front and rear instructions from the 4th gen FSM. Both have the specs for the entire strut/shock suspension mounting points.

06 - Rear Shock Absorber.pdf

07 - Front Strut.pdf

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Hmmmmm, coilovers eh? That's not a bad idea. They probably would have helped out last week when my wife had that run in with the troopers. She managed to outrun them and make it home into the garage before they came up the street, but she said the car handled like crap and the kids were getting a little scared when she went into a fishtail on one of the dirt roads. Fortunately she has those really nice Britax 4 point harness setups for them so they stayed put. Do you recommend the Megan Racing Street series. :cool:

Damn was I the only one that caught the fact that his wife out ran the cops with kids in the back? To each is own. Just change out my struts/shocks and coils on my 05 obxt. Kyb all around with the 04 shocks in rear. Oem coils and subtle solutions 1'' spacers. Love it

Damn was I the only one that caught the fact that his wife out ran the cops with kids in the back? To each is own. Just change out my struts/shocks and coils on my 05 obxt. Kyb all around with the 04 shocks in rear. Oem coils and subtle solutions 1'' spacers. Love it

I sure picked up on the chase scene. Guess those kids will have a story to tell in school.

Did you use the '05 dampers in the front? And do I read correctly that you simply replaced the OEM springs and added spacers? Did this raise you an inch? From your :wub: I infer that this simple solution was a big improvement in the under-damping problem and shouldn't be too terribly expensive either.

Hmmmmm, coilovers eh? That's not a bad idea. They probably would have helped out last week when my wife had that run in with the troopers. She managed to outrun them and make it home into the garage before they came up the street, but she said the car handled like crap and the kids were getting a little scared when she went into a fishtail on one of the dirt roads. Fortunately she has those really nice Britax 4 point harness setups for them so they stayed put. Do you recommend the Megan Racing Street series. :cool:

I'd recommend you stay away from the Coil Overs, and Stop Over Here, and start reading..

2005-2009 Outback Suspension FAQ (Pretty much sums up all the links below)

replace rear shocks on a '05 outback?

Anyone put a KYB GR2 on 2005+ OB?

Tokico Shocks for '05-09 Outback?

ordered new style RalliTEK overload springs

Rallitek HDs, KYB Excel-G and H6 springs fitted to UK 2.5i SE

P.S. -- Not a cool thing to do, especially with the kids in the car, and hopefully the Britax Seats are five point harnesses..

Just change out my struts/shocks and coils on my 05 obxt. Kyb all around with the 04 shocks in rear. Oem coils and subtle solutions 1'' spacers. Love it

How did the spacer install go? Any trouble with alignment? How much neg Camber could you get front/rear with the Spacers, thanks..

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

Spacers was dumb easy to do. Sits right on top of the coil brackets. You have to knock out the original bolts and replace with new ones. Its gonna be tight placing them cause of the added inch. It was on the lift and we played around with the suspension to get it. Love the results and is stiffer. Also I used 05 struts. People have used the H6 front coils. Believe it gives a little height cause of the engine weight.

Spacers was dumb easy to do. Sits right on top of the coil brackets. You have to knock out the original bolts and replace with new ones. Its gonna be tight placing them cause of the added inch. It was on the lift and we played around with the suspension to get it. Love the results and is stiffer. Also I used 05 struts. People have used the H6 front coils. Believe it gives a little height cause of the engine weight.

Do you Have/ Are you willing to share (after lift):

~> Alignment numbers

~> Wheel Center to Fender Lip Measurements

~> Photos

Thanks..

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Thanks for even more info. I'm just heading to the garage to go to work. Got the mounts Thursday, so I have everything.

By the way, in case you didn't notice my smiley face, the story about my wife outrunning the cops was the result of too much imagination ( and maybe a little red wine)..........she might be insane, but she ain't crazy!!

How you guys post pics up here?

When the 'new post' screen is open, scroll down, and click on the 'Manage Attachments' button, it will pop open a window that allows you to browse to the photos local on your computer, and 'attach' them to the post..

By the way, in case you didn't notice my smiley face, the story about my wife outrunning the cops was the result of too much imagination ( and maybe a little red wine)..........she might be insane, but she ain't crazy!!

Good to hear..

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Couple of after pictures

Much appreciated. I assume those are the stock size (225/55-17) tires in the photos? You wouldn't happen to have the wheel center to fender lip measurements, would you?

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Stock tires. Gonna try to fill that gap with either some 16" rims with General Grabbers AT2 or just throw some Geolander AT on the stock 17''. Just waiting cause I have brand new Pirelle P4 all seasons on now that did great this winter in the North East. As for measurments center of wheel to fender lip on a pretty close flat ground is 18 3/4'' rear and 17 3/4'' front. Hope this help. Dont have alignment numbers. Got it from a shop that didnt have print outs. Going to get it realigned after I do my tie rod ends.

The alignment numbers you want to shoot for are

0* toe all-around

-.75 to -1.0 Negative Camber Front

-1.0 to - 1.5 Negative Camber Rear

0* cross camber

As much positive caster as you can get with offset LCA bushings.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Spacers was dumb easy to do.

You wanted to raise it 1"?:confused:

Love the results and is stiffer. Also I used 05 struts. People have used the H6 front coils. Believe it gives a little height cause of the engine weight.

In a previous post you said you used the '04 shocks on the rear. So as is commonly done with this upgrade, you went with the '05's on the front? Why did you do new springs if you were staying with the OEM's? Were yours worn out?

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on mine but with the Rallitek Overload rear springs and as-is front springs. I'm looking into the ION package but don't really want to lower to LGT height so unless find a compelling reason will likely go with the GR2's

Archived