LegacyGT.com

STI swap

The 04-05 STI's ej257 was basically identical to the 05-07 LGT's ej255 except for the dish of the piston. The shortblock is plug and play. This would be a good time to do a head refresh and any porting and polishing you want done.

There are other items which you may wish to upgrade or replace depending on why your engine failed. Oil pump an cooler would be two of the main assuming it was bearing or turbo failure related.

So what is the difference in piston surface? If the "dish" isnt the same as stock, the compression ratio will either increase or decrease.

Do you know if this would make any difference on our turbocharged engines?

Sorry to hear about your motor. I wouldn't bother with an STI swap.

I think everyone here has told you there is little difference. Maybe you're power goals would help us all suggest a good direction.

Is nothing able to be saved from your current block? Are you looking to buy a pre assembled motor ready to roll?

I personally would by a short block and build it up myself. Forged pistons, bigger turbo and do so in connection with a tuner in your area.

There is a lot of good info on here about different build configurations.

If you're doing a short block, it wouldn't matter, but the heads are different.

STI's have dual AVCS vs the LGT's single AVCS. IIRC, of course.

Only on the 08+ STI's for the dual AVCS.

05-06 LGT's have the same long block as 04-06 STI's.

You do know what a rebuild includes, right ?

If your going to do it do it right. It's more then just, adding new parts to your motor.

See my click here link

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

-bore/hone

-new bearings

-new crank

-new pistons

-inspect heads and/or fix

-new oil pickup

-new water pump

-new belts

-Inspect turbo for play - expect to replace

That's just a place to start. Expect $4-6k depending on labor and parts cost.

4-6k$ fpr rebuild.. not worth it unless u are planning on some serious power. would be a lot cheaper to get a new ej255 or 257 of a vendor like infamous then just get the gates timing kit and call it a day. proly be 2-3 parts and labor most good subie guys can do a timing belt pretty quick.

4-6k$ fpr rebuild.. not worth it unless u are planning on some serious power. would be a lot cheaper to get a new ej255 or 257 of a vendor like infamous then just get the gates timing kit and call it a day. proly be 2-3 parts and labor most good subie guys can do a timing belt pretty quick.

Best I saw a pre-built short block for was about $2k. Heads will still need to be inspected, and if he blew his motor I'm going to assume metal in oil. This means a bunch of replacements.

I'd love if you could get me a new motor into my car for $3k. The time alone to reconnect everything is a days work.

Mine was right at 6k with all the stuff I did myself.

Knock on wood, it has 30,000 miles and still runs great.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

obviously there is gonnna be difference in pricing to swap a short block but i would see it as a two day job. maybe day and a half. infamous sells brand new ej255 for 1975.00

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-1228/Subaru-05-dsh-06-Legacy-GT/Detail

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-75/Gates-Racing-Subaru-Timing/Detail

gates kit for 168.00 proly should get some gaskets also. http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-790/Subaru-05-dsh-06-Legacy-GT/Detail

gasket kit 223.00

so say 2500 for parts. two days labor @ 80$ rough average 1200-1300$ so 4K range. the thing with pulling a motor is its always easier to fix more when ur in there

Archived