LegacyGT.com

Subaru to focus on performance...article...

hmmrdwn

Forester Hybrid: Yawn.

Forester tS: Not yawn. But then again this is a LegacyGT board for a no-longer future MY GT. :rolleyes:

Anything related to Subaru is welcomed by me anyways, hybrid, electric, gasoline, etc. But when it comes to MotorTrend's "rumors", it usually turns out to be wishful thinking from the feces spewing auto journalists.

Well Subaru didn't market the Tribeca, so now they're reaping the rewards of no advertising: low sales. Low sales dictate low future investment, which dictates either sharing costs with another vehicle or terminating production.

I'm hopeful that, if they do end up sharing a platform with the Highlander, they will at least give it Subaru character.

Now if they produced a Tribeca STI (or tS), demand would no doubt increase.

The Tribeca is a really great SUV. Handles better than anything else out there in and above its class, and with the 3.6R, is easily among the top 3 in performance, like-for-like.

Since 2013 looks to be the last year, I'm hopeful, that we'll finally be able to get into one ordered the way we want it. Otherwise, will need to look for a low-mileage used one.

Agree that a special performance-opted one would likely bump sales a small bit, but without the marketing to go with it, it's not going to be a big bump.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

We had an 07 Limited Tribe. Good SUV although the 3.0 was under powered and the trans was gear hunting happy when accelerating on a hill or when passing. Oh and it was premium recommended. Of course for 08+, they pretty solved a lot of these issues. But the Tribe is still behind in terms of cabin tech. Heck you can't even get BT phone fully integrated into the car... you have to buy into that stupid BT module.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

The only way I'd consider an 06-07 (though I'm probably in the minority about liking the looks) is if I could SC it - do the whole COBB upgrade path on it.

The bland styling refresh, to get away from the polarizing front fascia, didn't necessarily resonate with me, but the performance enhancement of the 3.6 and the wholly revised 5EAT definitely won me over. And that it ran smartly on 87 octane, was a definite plus. It may be big and and it may be heavy, but the Subaru DNA is clearly there and the handling and acceleration is superb, especially compared to others in its segment. The did it right, just poorly marketed it, similar to the 4th and 5th Gen LGTs

There's definitely room for Subaru to step-up and produce some brand-leaders in the Legacy segment, i.e., an STI LGT, 3.6T, 3.6 Spec B with 6MT (and/or STI 3.6T version), but will they. Remains to be seen.

I never liked how third row seats in mid-size SUV's are only meant for children. Honestly even the newer Suburbans make the Sequoia and Land Cruiser seem like the same size as a Tribeca or Highlander.

Subaru's cabin tech is obviously going to be behind the times as always. What we have now in the non-navigation trim levels for the lineup is okay with me. I'm more interested in physical comfort along with utilitarian purposes of seats, styling, and mechanics. The fact that the rear air vents in the Tribeca blew cold air only were a complete turn off besides the miniscule leg room for both second and third row (which trickled down to the 2013 Outback as optional). Hopefully Subaru remains on track with window styling because I'm tired of seeing "stylish" SUV/CUV's with reclining rooflines (see Kia Sportage blindspot galore). Reminds me how luxury vehicles like Audi and Infiniti love blind spots. ;D

I've always liked how the Highlander was styled but I never liked the fact that Toyota's AWD is completely subpar on any standard.

The Tribeca, when used as a 5 seater, is an excellent SUV. It is one of the lightest mid sized SUVs. It handles well and has decent power. The cabin is nicely designed and it quiet on the highways.

However when used as a 7 seater, it suffers the same problems as the BL/BP Legacies. It is one size too small for the American market. The third row is legroom is too tight for adults to use. And when the third row is in use, the cargo area is barely large enough for a stroller. The rear vents provide air conditioning but no heat. And what is with the 16.9 gallon fuel tank!

If Subaru can add more space to the third row/the cargo area without cramping the second row and put a bigger fuel tank, Subaru will have another winner.

^ My three nagging complaints.

• Rear AC but no rear heat - how hard is this?
  • Limited 3rd-row seating / rear storage - similar to others in this class, but still needs some improvement
  • Legacy platform 16.9 Gal gas tank - make it at least 20 gals for some real touring distance

The Tribeca, when used as a 5 seater, is an excellent SUV. It is one of the lightest mid sized SUVs. It handles well and has decent power. The cabin is nicely designed and it quiet on the highways.

However when used as a 7 seater, it suffers the same problems as the BL/BP Legacies. It is one size too small for the American market. The third row is legroom is too tight for adults to use. And when the third row is in use, the cargo area is barely large enough for a stroller. The rear vents provide air conditioning but no heat. And what is with the 16.9 gallon fuel tank!

If Subaru can add more space to the third row/the cargo area without cramping the second row and put a bigger fuel tank, Subaru will have another winner.

I suppose I would be able to settle for these upgrades. If they could just try to advertise the MPG on the 36 MPG highway 2012 Impreza, the Tribeca could see more sales by indirect advertising. Subaru just needs to STOP going Audi and Infiniti's path with rear styling. It's completely annoying when car manufacturer's believe style is more important than utility when it comes to slopping roof lines and raising belt lines.

I've always been curious why the rear vents are only capable of blowing cold air though. =\ I mean, seriously, the significant reason why Subaru sales go up is because of the fact that their AWD system actually works as intended in the snow i.e. WHEN IT'S COLD.

I suppose I would be able to settle for these upgrades. If they could just try to advertise the MPG on the 36 MPG highway 2012 Impreza, the Tribeca could see more sales by indirect advertising. Subaru just needs to STOP going Audi and Infiniti's path with rear styling. It's completely annoying when car manufacturer's believe style is more important than utility when it comes to slopping roof lines and raising belt lines.

I've always been curious why the rear vents are only capable of blowing cold air though. =\ I mean, seriously, the significant reason why Subaru sales go up is because of the fact that their AWD system actually works as intended in the snow i.e. WHEN IT'S COLD.

Belt Lines are higher these days to help with side impact. Unlike other manufacturers, Subaru raises the roof in order to keep good visibility by not having chopped windows. Subaru is one of the few manufacturers that doesn't let styling affect utility and visibility. The B9 Tribeca taught Subaru a lesson on letting style compromise utility. Subaru had to go back and increase the size of the side mirrors, cut out larger windows from the D Pillar, and increase the size of the rear glass.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Belt Lines are higher these days to help with side impact. Unlike other manufacturers, Subaru raises the roof in order to keep good visibility by not having chopped windows. Subaru is one of the few manufacturers that doesn't let styling affect utility and visibility. The B9 Tribeca taught Subaru a lesson on letting style compromise utility. Subaru had to go back and increase the size of the side mirrors, cut out larger windows from the D Pillar, and increase the size of the rear glass.

Apparently you haven't seen the BM,it looks like a clown car from the side. In order to have form and function,the design must be appealing,yet offer utility and be safe at the same time. The BM sure as hell isn't appealing but it's safe. They let the style compromise utility in that they made the trunk door smaller than the BL and it looks stupid. The big side profile and rear doors,with a tiny trunk looks horrible,from multiple prospective viewpoints. The design proportions on the BM are all wrong and it's a design mess. Hopefully they fix that for 2015 redesign.

7-passenger based on the Toyoda Highhander... a stretched Camry...dear God tell me that's not so. IOW - NOT!

Isn't that what the BM is anyway? :lol:

Forester tS: Not yawn. But then again this is a LegacyGT board for a no-longer future MY GT. :rolleyes:

Anything related to Subaru is welcomed by me anyways, hybrid, electric, gasoline, etc. But when it comes to MotorTrend's "rumors", it usually turns out to be wishful thinking from the feces spewing auto journalists.

Hybrids are stupid. I think Subaru should bring over their Diesels instead of creating hybrids in the future. Hybrids and electric plug-ins are just dumb. Gasoline and Diesel are way better.

Hybrids are the darling of the auto-buying public right now, so everybody thinks they need one. Saw an article that said only 35% of hybrid owners were likely to buy another hybrid. Prius owners were even worse: only 25% would buy another hybrid.

Apparently you haven't seen the BM,it looks like a clown car from the side. In order to have form and function,the design must be appealing,yet offer utility and be safe at the same time. The BM sure as hell isn't appealing but it's safe. They let the style compromise utility in that they made the trunk door smaller than the BL and it looks stupid. The big side profile and rear doors,with a tiny trunk looks horrible,from multiple prospective viewpoints. The design proportions on the BM are all wrong and it's a design mess. Hopefully they fix that for 2015 redesign.

Isn't that what the BM is anyway? :lol:

The BM is the epitome of not letting style lead the design of the vehicle. It has tall doors for safety but has a bubble roof instead of a low, swept back one. That gives it larger windows for visibility. It also allows the interior to offer good legroom without making the car longer. The trunk is much larger on the BM than the BL's even though the opening isn't hinged as deep. The compromise there is interior volume vs cargo volume. It's not a styling issue.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hybrids are stupid. I think Subaru should bring over their Diesels instead of creating hybrids in the future. Hybrids and electric plug-ins are just dumb. Gasoline and Diesel are way better. Gasoline and Diesels are better.

I don't want slow turbo diesels, sorry. If anything the alternative would be a hybrid for me, not a diesel, if I had to choose between the two.

I don't want slow turbo diesels, sorry. If anything the alternative would be a hybrid for me, not a diesel, if I had to choose between the two.

Doesn't seem too slow to me, especially since the point of the car is economy... [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG6t8tl7aCE&feature=related]Subaru Legacy Boxer Diesel 0-100km/h 0-62mph - YouTube[/ame]

Archived