LegacyGT.com

Help! Driver door handle removal (exterior)

Driver's door handle broke yesterday. Have to open door from inside now.

I need help figuring out how to remove the door handle so I can replace it. Anybody done this?

I got the door panel off, removed the bolt that retains the lock in the handle and removed the other bolt. Handle now has approx 1/8" play from car but won't release completely. Does the handle snap in place or have I missed another bolt that is keeping me tied up?

Help..... Also, is it easier to replace the handle if I remove the window?

Thanks for the help.

Fixed! $29 for door handle, $15 rattle can of Regal Blue Pearl, $20 for paint shop friend to finish the new handle and I'm back on the road again.

Handle removal is quite easy if steps are followed in the proper order. 2 bolts to release the handle. Pull the lock cyclinder out of the way (inside and down). Handle snaps in place with 2 little tabs on the bottom. Pop the two tabs clear from the inside out. Tilt bottom of door handle up towards top of door from the outside. Handle will now clear the door without even having to remove the rod that connects to the door latch.

FYI: early production '06 door handles are different than the late '06 production models. Only your VIN# will determine which handle is appropriate for your car, according to the dealer.

Late '06 model door handles are built better than the early ones, and I decided to see if one would fit for me. VIOLA'! Fitment is the same, design is stronger for the updated late model '06 updated handle and the function is identical. Just make sure you use the new rod that comes with the new handle. Repeat, the rods are not interchangeable between the 2 door handles.

$60 bucks sure beats the $182 quoted by the dealer to R&R the door handle for me. Yikes!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I know this is an older post, but can you explain how you got the second bolt out of the handle? The one is easy, but it appears that my window is blocking the second bolt... Do I need to completely remove the window?

How did you convert the handles over for so cheap? I can’t even find used ones for under $50…

Shout out to wcbjr! thx for the help getting my door open. something tells me we are battling the same problem.

• 10 months later...
I just repaired my door handle after it broke and the missing step from this thread is to remove the front bolt with window up and then roll the window down to remove the second bolt. Hope that helps the next person to come along with this problem!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

There was a design change mid-year 2006 where your VIN is required to get you an exact match if you only replace the handle. There are plastic clips that attach rods to your door handle. (Driver's door handle has 2, one for lock mechanism, one for the handle to open the latch). I'm assuming that all other door handles only have one clip attached to a rod that pulls the latch when you lift the handle. (assumption because I've only dealt with the driver's door handle)

So, unclip the rod from the door latch, then pull the handle assembly with the rod for your application. Don't just grab the handle and leave the rod attached to the door. You likely won't have all that you need if you leave the rod behind in the donor car.

FYI: Also, I went to NCS (national coating supply--I think) on 33rd south and 2nd West to have them make up a matched rattle can of Subaru paint. It is color matched, 'cause you'll likely have to spray the handle to match your OBP. My NCS rattle can cost me $20 and did not match perfectly. One month of curing time later I needed to go over the handle with some good clear coat to make the handle match perfectly. ** Please wait 30 days of dry time for your spray can paint to cure before doing a final coat of clear **. There are solvents in the clear vs. solvents in the color that are going to battle if you clear that thing too soon! Ask me how I know......

• 1 year later...

Archived